Why NO Bowl Again??

H-towngreen

We are primarily in this bowl because we got our asses kicked in Boca. Indy wasn't going to take FAU because they don't bring enough fans, and didn't feel an obligation to take us since we didn't win the conference. So they went with the bigger name with better recent history and took USM. If we had won the conference, we'd be in Shreveport.

I don't like this bowl for all the reasons already stated. I didn't think we'd have good attendance, I didn't like the matchup with Troy (they're good), and nobody pays any attention to this game. 

I HATE that fans didn't show up for this. Trust me, as much as I dislike our placement in this, I would have gone if I could have. People who wanted Indy but chose willingly not to go to this shot themselves in the foot. FAU didn't get Shreveport for ONE reason... fan support. The next time that decision rolls around, now we've taken ourselves out of the discussion. 

But I did anticipate the attendance being an issue. 

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

9 wins and undefeated at home got us the same thing 5-7 got us 15 years ago. Except this time, we’re Cincinnati getting railed by a Sun Belt team. Whatever the reason? Whoever to blame - I’ve been consistent - going to this game was a multi level failure. 

College football is changing for the worse, and North Texas is on the wrong side of it.

13 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

9 wins and undefeated at home got us the same thing 5-7 got us 15 years ago. Except this time, we’re Cincinnati getting railed by a Sun Belt team. Whatever the reason? Whoever to blame - I’ve been consistent - going to this game was a multi level failure. 

This is what everyone’s overlooking.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

20 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Exactly and all you newcomers who don't know how many years of mismanagement this game represent let me show something.  So of those programs listed where are they today?   

1996 Big West Conference football standings
Conf     Overall
Team   W   L         W   L  
Nevada +   4 1         9 3  
Utah State +   4 1         6 5  
Idaho   3 2         6 5  
North Texas   3 2         5 6  
Boise State   1 4         2 10  
New Mexico State   0 5         1 10  

• + – Conference co-champions

Rankings from AP Poll

This program has historically made the wrong moves otherwise we wouldn't have rivals like upstarts UTSA, FAU, and Troy kicking the shit out of us routinely.  New FBS level programs surge past us and long time UNT fans are sick of it.  Not just getting beat getting dominated.

• Upvote 2

I still don’t understand how y’all don’t understand that we didn’t get to choose our bowl slot—the conference tie-ins do that, as well as the bowl committees, and sometimes, the other team and conference. 

We are small time, we aren’t anything else. CUSA is small time, just like the SBC. Why people can’t get this around here is embarrassing. Doesn’t mean it’ll always be this way, just to get that stupid response out of the way, but we aren’t gonna be anytime soon. 

• Upvote 5

4 hours ago, H-towngreen said:

Once again...how did we manage to end up here? All the nonsense about us wanting to go here for this reason and that reason was ridiculous. There was no benefit to us ending up here. What do we get from playing a team like Troy? We win and it’s “you should beat a sun belt team” we lose and it’s a huge issue for the program as you just lost to a SBC team that we were so eager to get away from bc we were better than them. 

We should’ve either been closer to home in any of the DFW area games, where we can have a huge turnout with our fan base. Or playing FSU in Shreveport. We win, hey we beat FSU, we lose, oh well, it was FSU. 

Whats happening now is exactly why this was not a good situation for UNT.

This is exactly the point I was trying to make in another thread. Except, I'll take it one step further and say Troy deserved to play a better, or at least better perception-wise, opponent too. The bowls should have more P5 vs G5 matchups. Look at Boise State crushing Oregon in the Las Vegas Bowl. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I still don’t understand how y’all don’t understand that we didn’t get to choose our bowl slot—the conference tie-ins do that, as well as the bowl committees, and sometimes, the other team and conference. 

We are small time, we aren’t anything else. CUSA is small time, just like the SBC. Why people can’t get this around here is embarrassing. Doesn’t mean it’ll always be this way, just to get that stupid response out of the way, but we aren’t gonna be anytime soon. 

This is also true, unfortunately. Most all of the G5 schools got bad matchups.

3 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

Complain to the conference about their bowl tie-ins and with the Independence Bowl committee members who slobbered over the thought of getting USM there against FSU instead of UNT.

After this, complain to the folks on here to get on board with the idea of going to the MWC if we EVER get an invite.

The I-Bowl liked us more than you know. Shreveport is about 2 and a half hours from DFW. They knew we would bring plenty of fans tor a P5 match-up. If my sources are accurate, our administration didn't show them the same love. It was well documented that we were eyeballing the NO Bowl.