City of Denton Attendance

Venson

Guys, I am just spit balling. I think playing La. Tech in Shreveport could become a "rival event" in a city with good food and gambling.Regarding attendance,we averaged 13,600 in 2015 with a one win team,and jumped to 19,800  in 2016 with a new coach,A.D., and 5&8 bowl team. I expected more that a 10% attendance increase with a 9&4 bowl team who won all 6 home games, but that's just me.Expect more or you will get less.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

23 minutes ago, wardly said:

Guys, I am just spit balling. I think playing La. Tech in Shreveport could become a "rival event" in a city with good food and gambling.Regarding attendance,we averaged 13,600 in 2015 with a one win team,and jumped to 19,800  in 2016 with a new coach,A.D., and 5&8 bowl team. I expected more that a 10% attendance increase with a 9&4 bowl team who won all 6 home games, but that's just me.Expect more or you will get less.

I think it would be better to judge how attendance looks next year after the season we had this year. For UTEP and Army (in back-to-back weekends) we did have 26k+ for two games this season. Four of our six home games were above the 20k mark with Lamar being just shy at 19,592 and weather likely being the cause for poor attendance against Old Dominion.

Top All-Time Crowds
Attend.    Opponent Date 
1. 29,437  Baylor   Sept. 6, 2003
2. 28,315  Baylor   Aug. 31, 2000 
3. 28,075  Houston* Sept. 10, 2011 
4. 26,119  UTEP*    Nov. 9, 2013 
5. 26,012  Navy     Nov. 10, 2007 
6. 25,231  SMU      Sept. 9, 2006 
7. 24,718  SMU*     Sept. 3, 2016 
8. 23,743  Rice     Sept. 11, 2010 
9. 23,647  Army     Nov. 21, 2009 
10. 23,112 Tulsa    Sept. 17, 2005

* Games played in Apogee Stadium

UTEP - 26,108
Army - 26,392

These two games are good for the 4th and 6th highest attended games in our program's history.

We saw an increase of almost 2.5k, which is a pretty nice jump (12.5% increase). 

• Downvote 2

If you’re gonna play a FCS spare that don’t bring anyone, basically anyone but SFA or SHSU, playing that game in Frisco is genius. But it’ll never happen, unfortunately. 

Rhode Island, Houston Baptist, and Incarnate Word would be great opponents to play in Frisco if it’s not the opener to the season. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

10 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

If you’re gonna play a FCS spare that don’t bring anyone, basically anyone but SFA or SHSU, playing that game in Frisco is genius. But it’ll never happen, unfortunately. 

Rhode Island, Houston Baptist, and Incarnate Word would be great opponents to play in Frisco if it’s not the opener to the season. 

In theory we could play SMU at Frisco because "they don't bring anyone".

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

This is all dumb.

We’ve already failed DFW. We are ten years too late, TCU grabbed that market. There is entirely too much competition there. DFW isn’t even “North Texas” and is nothing but a bunch of T-shirt fans, even for the NFL. Tickets to the Cowboys game were like $5 two weeks ago, and you couldn’t give away Rangers tickets. We don’t win enough and aren’t high level enough for the T-shirts to give a shit.

I’ll beat this drum again. GO AFTER NORTH TEXAS. Get Gainesville to the games. Sanger. Pilot Point. ETC. It’s what Fry did. Screw DFW, be “North Texas’ team.” It markets itself. Your closest FBS team. We’d sell out Apogee weekly if we had any presence in these cities.

So tired of hearing about Fri$co and all that other crap. Waste of time and money. Too far for the guys to the north of us to go to OU every weekend so come to Denton for D1 football.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, Ryan Munthe said:

This is all dumb.

We’ve already failed DFW. We are ten years too late, TCU grabbed that market. There is entirely too much competition there. DFW isn’t even “North Texas” and is nothing but a bunch of T-shirt fans, even for the NFL. Tickets to the Cowboys game were like $5 two weeks ago, and you couldn’t give away Rangers tickets. We don’t win enough and aren’t high level enough for the T-shirts to give a shit.

I’ll beat this drum again. GO AFTER NORTH TEXAS. Get Gainesville to the games. Sanger. Pilot Point. ETC. It’s what Fry did. Screw DFW, be “North Texas’ team.” It markets itself. Your closest FBS team. We’d sell out Apogee weekly if we had any presence in these cities.

So tired of hearing about Fri$co and all that other crap. Waste of time and money. Too far for the guys to the north of us to go to OU every weekend so come to Denton for D1 football.

You are correct, except Fry didn't draw flies .

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

15 minutes ago, wardly said:

You are correct, except Fry didn't draw flies .

Let me amend my statement ;"flies to Denton". If memory serves attendance was about 15,000 + at Fouts. We did average 25,000+ in 1974,1976,and 1977 playing SMU at Texas Stadium. [1and 2]. I Would like us to have more of a presence in Ft. Worth, as we have a number of alums and its an easy drive to Denton.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1. We should look at the pre-Rose Bowl TCU model of engaging the public to be a part of their program. Even though they are very similar schools, TCU is much more successful than SMU at attracting the community. And IMHO they do that because there is a better sense of community in Fort Worth than Dallas, and TCU might be a more reasonable fantasy for the average guy about actually attending TCU.  In this regard, we are a much more reasonable fantasy.

2. Why would anyone consider playing a game, or having a scrimmage in Frisco? We have a great facility in a very convenient location. Fix any parking/traffic flow problems and try to have all the early games as late in the day as possible. No one is going to willingly sit in the upper wing section in 90+ temperatures.  

3. Get out into the smaller communities around Denton and tell them we want to be their University. 

4. Have a real D-1 football game day experience. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

33 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

TCU captured Fort Worth. Not DFW. NT should be trying to capture the large portion of the Dallas side of the area that will never feel any attachment whatsoever to SMU. 

This is nothing but sheer delusion. IMO, people’s insistence that we should continue beating our head against the wall in DFW rather than grab what’s ripe for picking us a bit of classism.

We are an hour away from Dallas. People in the suburbs are all transplants who cheer for UT/A&M/LSU. They’re all T-Shirts. Dallas can barely support an NFL team right now what makes you think they can support another college team?

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Downvote 3

56 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

This is nothing but sheer delusion. IMO, people’s insistence that we should continue beating our head against the wall in DFW rather than grab what’s ripe for picking us a bit of classism.

We are an hour away from Dallas. People in the suburbs are all transplants who cheer for UT/A&M/LSU. They’re all T-Shirts. Dallas can barely support an NFL team right now what makes you think they can support another college team?

I'm not saying there isn't competition. I'm just saying our sights should be set bigger than capturing Gainesville. Dallas will never care about TCU because they're in Fort Worth. Heck, there are enough people in the northern suburbs of Dallas to a accomplish what we need with just a small percentage of them. 

17 minutes ago, LongJim said:

If UNT can increase attendance by 10-12% again next year, they will average sellouts.

Keep working on the home schedule to make it more attractive, and keep winning.

This.

At UNT, you have to play OOC games against teams people have heard of and care about AND win those games (see Army). SMU does the trick, but we need To continue getting the teams here that WB is now getting (except Liberty). And if you’re gonna play FCS, only schedule SFA and SHSU who bring fans with them for these games. Nothing will help attendance here more than beating teams people know about...

• Thanks 2

9 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Dallas can barely support an NFL team right now what makes you think they can support another college team?

Huh?

Hilarious.  The troll is out handing out negatives for asking a question.  

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ryan Munthe said:

I’m not questioning the fanbase of the Cowboys which is unquestionably the best in the NFL. I’m questioning the fanbase of DFW.

DFW loves us some winners!
Remember that this is a "baseball town" next season when the Rangers are struggling and no one is showing up to the ballpark.
Also, the "MFFL's" may be more like "MFOWW" -only when winning, as the AAC is rather desolate lately.

If you ain't winning in DFW, we don't want to associate with you.  If you're winning, we love you.   See the SMU basketball rollercoaster over the past 5 years.

• Downvote 1

44 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

DFW loves us some winners!
Remember that this is a "baseball town" next season when the Rangers are struggling and no one is showing up to the ballpark.
Also, the "MFFL's" may be more like "MFOWW" -only when winning, as the AAC is rather desolate lately.

If you ain't winning in DFW, we don't want to associate with you.  If you're winning, we love you.   See the SMU basketball rollercoaster over the past 5 years.

That’s all I’m saying, and why I’d like to see us reach out to small towns surrounding Denton instead.

• Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

That’s all I’m saying, and why I’d like to see us reach out to small towns surrounding Denton instead.

This seems like a really bad marketing strategy.  You go after the bigger, more general market and then focus down from there.  Also nothing makes your program look small time like advertising in the Nocona News & the Pilot Point Post.

Football has to sell itself.  One of the ways you do that is by building a game day atmosphere that fans want to be part of.

The issue isn't marketing the games.  The issue is the value proposition offered at the games.  Football game.  Alma mater.  Family Four Pack.  Fireworks.  Kids Zone.  Big Scrappy.  Beer in the Stadium.  Beer Garden.  Tailgating.  Those are the types of things that draw in casual fans.  On and winning.  People love winning.  

• Downvote 1

15 minutes ago, MattMakesLoans said:

This seems like a really bad marketing strategy.  You go after the bigger, more general market and then focus down from there.  Also nothing makes your program look small time like advertising in the Nocona News & the Pilot Point Post.

Football has to sell itself.  One of the ways you do that is by building a game day atmosphere that fans want to be part of.

The issue isn't marketing the games.  The issue is the value proposition offered at the games.  Football game.  Alma mater.  Family Four Pack.  Fireworks.  Kids Zone.  Big Scrappy.  Beer in the Stadium.  Beer Garden.  Tailgating.  Those are the types of things that draw in casual fans.  On and winning.  People love winning.  

As I’ve said multiple times, this reeks of classism.

Drawing from local small towns is what the big boy SEC schools do. I can count on one hand successful big market college teams.

Pretty obvious to anyone with an inkling of business sense that repeating what isn’t working over and over is bad business.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

As I’ve said multiple times, this reeks of classism.

Drawing from local small towns is what the big boy SEC schools do. I can count on one hand successful big market college teams.

Pretty obvious to anyone with an inkling of business sense that repeating what isn’t working over and over is bad business.

The SEC schools are all their state's signature school.  SL's recruiting focus is rightfully centered on the 4 DFW counties, as is the school marketing strategy.  

I don't have time for a twitter fight with a message board troll, I have a bowl game to pack for.

#GoMeanGreen #BeatTroy #SeeYouInNewOrleans.

• Downvote 1