DRC: Source: Littrell not interested in SMU job

Brett Vito

28 minutes ago, Brett Vito said:

🤔🤔🤔🤔🤔 where have I seen this before...

48 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Update: Seth is not a candidate/interested in SMU. This report is false. He will be in NewDenton tomorrow hosting Official visits. He has already turned down bigger than jobs than SMU since he got to UNT. So relax people! 

Edited by TheReal_jayD
  • Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

I would be surprised if there's been any substantive contact between Seth and SMU. That's not a slight at Seth or the SMU job either. Just think the mustangs are looking elsewhere. 

Not sure there's anything better to garner endearment from this fan base though than getting out ahead of this and shooting down SMU whether you are being considered or not. 

2 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Somehow in an article about Littrell mentions to talk about two losses and no wins.  It would be nice to have a beat writer who didn't always see the glass half empty. 

Vito just covers the program the way the editors and readers of the DRC want it to be covered. He knows how the city looks at UNT sports and reflects that viewpoint in his articles. 

What would be nice would be to have a town that fully supported the athletic department here at UNT instead of loathing its existence or just ignoring it because its what the culture here says to do.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

Has nobody figured out how this works yet?  

If North Texas hires a coach he is clearly unproven, better names wouldn't answer our calls, and the AD isn't serious about athletics

If said coach loses it is proof of the mistake we made in taking a chance on him

If said coach wins it is because our competition was obviously weak, the whole conference is weak, or bad recruiting will eventually prove it to be a fluke...yet simultaneously this coach is now too good for us and will be taking the next open job, ANY open job, to get away from this place

If said coach turns down other offers to stay at North Texas he is actually lying and is in contract negotiations with those schools...or the offer was never really on the table.  

Lol. Hardly. But I mean, if Littrell does go to SMU, at least he will be coaching your other favorite team, right? 

Again, when people lose arguments, they shift to other, 2 year old issues, and then completely mischaracterize those old issues because people don’t remember 2 year old arguments. It’s a loser’s game: But what else would you expect from one of SMU’s biggest fans?

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 12

8 hours ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Somehow in an article about Littrell mentions to talk about two losses and no wins.  It would be nice to have a beat writer who didn't always see the glass half empty. 

He picked UNT to go 11-2 this year in his week to week picks. Half empty? Lol. 

*May have actually been 12-1 as I don’t recall who he picked in the CUSA Championship game. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 3
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, GangGreen said:

Trust no one.

Except UNT90

Well, you don’t trust a head coach’s denial when he is the subject of better job rumors.

Look, I know you rah rah boys are new at this whole coach possibly being hired away thing, but stop being naive about it. Any coach in this situation isn’t going to tell anyone outside his immediate family what his real intentions are. They are going to pledge allegiance to the current school up to the minute that they announce they are leaving, if they say anything at all. That’s the way this dance is done.

If you had read the above link, you would realize this. Seth Littrell doesn’t owe UNT anything. He doesn’t love Denton. He came here to go somewhere else. That the way college football go. 

Whether the rah rah boys like it or not. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

1 hour ago, UNT90 said:

Well, you don’t trust a head coach’s denial when he is the subject of better job rumors.

Look, I know you rah rah boys are new at this whole coach possibly being hired away thing, but stop being naive about it. Any coach in this situation isn’t going to tell anyone outside his immediate family what his real intentions are. They are going to pledge allegiance to the current school up to the minute that they announce they are leaving, if they say anything at all. That’s the way this dance is done.

If you had read the above link, you would realize this. Seth Littrell doesn’t owe UNT anything. He doesn’t love Denton. He came here to go somewhere else. That the way college football go. 

Whether the rah rah boys like it or not. 

Is SMU a better job? That is debatable.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, NT91 said:

Is SMU a better job? That is debatable.

Is it? They play in a better conference, pay their coach over $1 million more a year than UNT (in fact, it’s the highest paid head coaching position in the G5), have a MUCH better brand, and yes, they have a better football history.

I mean, they aren’t P5 better, but they are definitely a rung up from UNT.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

22 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Is it? They play in a better conference, pay their coach over $1 million more a year than UNT (in fact, it’s the highest paid head coaching position in the G5), have a MUCH better brand, and yes, they have a better football history.

IMG_6310.JPG

• Upvote 1

43 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

I hear what you're saying 90. 

Yes AAC is in a better conference and SMU pays a lot. But how many rungs better makes it worth a jump? It's a pretty weak rung to jump.  

I think we would all agree most G5 coaches want to get to the big time. Assuming that's Littrell's ultimate goal....I don't think SMU does anything to help him get there. It obviously didn't help Chad Morris. He won less the 40% of his games there. The SMU job didn't help him. The Clemson job did. What was Dabo Swinney's quote? "Knute Rockne couldn't win at SMU" The general consensus is that is that's a horrible job. That's why they're the highest paid G5 job. They have to be. If  a coach just wants to make more money and that's his ONLY motivation. Sure SMU is where to be. But if you want to advance your career, you better have a resume builder somewhere else in your experience because "head coach of SMU from x to x" doesn't really add anything. 

I'm not naive enough to think Littrell wants to retire in Denton (although I would certainly welcome it if he keeps doing what he's doing) but I don't know if the SMU job is enough to get him to move. Even for $500k or $750k more. He's 39 years old....the money's gonna come. Plus He's gonna get a raise here anyway.

But at the end of the day, we don't know what's in Littrell's mind....

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

I think things are about to get rocky over on the hilltop.  They really need to get a name coach a la Jimbo.  Swing for the fences and get a name guy who can charge dallas fans.  It’s not about wins there.  It is about wins and name recognition.  They can go get a name coach with what they pay.  But they appear to be settling.  

Time for revenge #NewDenton style in 9 months. 

GMG

6 minutes ago, NM Green said:

I think things are about to get rocky over on the hilltop.  They really need to get a name coach a la Jimbo.  Swing for the fences and get a name guy who can charge dallas fans.  It’s not about wins there.  It is about wins and name recognition.  They can go get a name coach with what they pay.  But they appear to be settling.  

Time for revenge #NewDenton style in 9 months. 

GMG

The worst part is if we win next year, they'll just say its because Morris left.

This brings up another question I have regarding SMU being the highest paid G5 job....

How long can they sustain that? Will they just keep throwing all that money at mediocre results? At some point you have to have a return right?

That has to be the worst ROI of any program in the country.....

Kind of pathetic 

Edited by TheColonyEagle