Mason Fine

xyresic

1 hour ago, greenminer said:

They werent angry and highly motivated for revenge in the CUSA title game? That’s unsettling

I am sure they were motivated, but FAU is better than we are and is a horrible matchup for us. Motivation could overcome one or the other, but not likely both.

Edited by pastorgrant

19 hours ago, TroyFootball05 said:

To each his own I guess. SMU's rush defense is 107th, our is 7th. Hard to argue their front is somehow better than ours. We also lead them in sacks and tackles for loss by a good margin. UTSA is 50 spots behind Troy in all three major statistics you'd use to measure a team's front seven: Rush Defense, Sacks, and Tackles for Loss. As for Iowa, they are also significantly lower than Troy in all of those stats, but they play in a big boy conference, so I won't argue that one.

Here is the deal. You are going to get a lot of snarky responses from UNT fans because they are terrified of losing this game. Anyone who looks at this honestly will fear Troy’s ability to get to the QB. Hell,  Fine was sacked 6 or 7 times by a lesser FAU front 7 just a week ago. Both UNT tackles are very suspect in pass protection. 

I didn’t want to play you guys because there is zero upside for UNT. Actually, the same zero upside exists for Troy, also. If UNT wins, people shrug their shoulders. If UNT loses to a program from a conference UNT fought for years to leave, it hurts UNT’s already low perception. And from Troy’s view, beating UNT does nothing to help that program. UNT has a terrible brand and a loss to UNT hurts Troy  way more than a win helps Troy.

Its a lose lose for both schools. But that’s the reason the powers that be put us together. No one really cares about either of us.

• Upvote 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 9

19 hours ago, TroyFootball05 said:

To each his own I guess. SMU's rush defense is 107th, our is 7th. Hard to argue their front is somehow better than ours. We also lead them in sacks and tackles for loss by a good margin. UTSA is 50 spots behind Troy in all three major statistics you'd use to measure a team's front seven: Rush Defense, Sacks, and Tackles for Loss. As for Iowa, they are also significantly lower than Troy in all of those stats, but they play in a big boy conference, so I won't argue that one.

Troy’s stat rankings will have an asterisk next to them in the mind of most as long as they continue to be in the Belt due to the strength of competition in that conference.  We’ve been there and continue to be there to a lesser extent. 

Edited by UNT 90 Grad

23 hours ago, Aldo said:

I'm not gonna pretend I read anything but Sagarin has NT sos at 101 and Troy at 135.

But that won't explain crap.

Advanced metrics have us matched pretty evenly giving us nearly a 50/50 shot. Troy is favored, but only slightly.

Rush offenses are even. Troy better defenses. NT better pass offense. 

Troy is favored for one game and one game alone- LSU.  They caught LSU napping.  If LSU played them again, Troy would get skullf@#ked.  I'm not worried.  

5 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Here is the deal. You are going to get a lot of snarky responses from UNT fans because they are terrified of losing this game. Anyone who looks at this honestly will fear Troy’s ability to get to the QB. Hell,  Fine was sacked 6 or 7 times by a lesser FAU front 7 just a week ago. Both UNT tackles are very suspect in pass protection. 

I didn’t want to play you guys because there is zero upside for UNT. Actually, the same zero upside exists for Troy, also. If UNT wins, people shrug their shoulders. If UNT loses to a program from a conference UNT fought for years to leave, it hurts UNT’s already low perception. And from Troy’s view, beating UNT does nothing to help that program. UNT has a terrible brand and a loss to UNT hurts Troy  way more than a win helps Troy.

Its a lose lose for both schools. But that’s the reason the powers that be put us together. No one really cares about either of us.

I'm confident FAU would absolutely annihilate Troy if those two teams played. Should be a pretty good game in New Orleans. 

31 minutes ago, Silent Eagle said:

Troy is favored for one game and one game alone- LSU.  They caught LSU napping.  If LSU played them again, Troy would get skullf@#ked.  I'm not worried.  

Had it been you guys playing LSU, they would have ran for over 300 yards and 4 TDs. Our defense kept us in the game. You would not have beaten them napping, asleep, or otherwise.

4 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I'm confident FAU would absolutely annihilate Troy if those two teams played. Should be a pretty good game in New Orleans. 

FAU lead North Teas 41-7 at the half, and 34-0 shortly after the half in the second game. Those combined 50 points you scored were against their scrubs. FAU didn't even have a world beating defense this year, you guys just got outplayed, twice. Troy would probably not beat FAU, but It'd be a lot closer than what you guys did.

You guys keep underestimating Troy. We've got a couple really good running backs and an underrated quarterback and offensive line that's gotten better as the year has progressed. I'll take them over your defense as it stands.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

22 minutes ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Had it been you guys playing LSU, they would have ran for over 300 yards and 4 TDs. Our defense kept us in the game. You would not have beaten them napping, asleep, or otherwise.

FAU lead North Teas 41-7 at the half, and 34-0 shortly after the half in the second game. Those combined 50 points you scored were against their scrubs. FAU didn't even have a world beating defense this year, you guys just got outplayed, twice. Troy would probably not beat FAU, but It'd be a lot closer than what you guys did.

You guys keep underestimating Troy. We've got a couple really good running backs and an underrated quarterback and offensive line that's gotten better as the year has progressed. I'll take them over your defense as it stands.

No one is underestimating Troy. There is probably a greater than 50% chance we lose. I think we would have had the same, if not a better chance of beating Florida State than Troy.  But you guys aren't Alabama. 

40 minutes ago, TroyFootball05 said:

ESPN power index says that Troy is 65% favorite.  Will the Troy fanbase consider the season to be lost if they were to somehow lose this game in which they are so heavily favored?  What do the Troy bowl champion shirts look like?

Just now, TreeFiddy said:

ESPN power index says that Troy is 65% favorite.  Will the Troy fanbase consider the season to be lost if they were to somehow lose this game in which they are so heavily favored?  What do the Troy bowl champion shirts look like?

No. This is our first 10 win regular season in our FBS history. We beat LSU, and beat the reigning champs for a SBC title - something we haven't had since our five year run from 2006 - 2010. We beat a MAC division champ along the way. If we lose to you guys it will still be a great season. You would have had to have been there when we were really bad from 2011 to 2014 to understand that this and last year are great seasons no matter what happens in the bowls.

We are also not a heavy favorite. 65% usually translates to being a 7 point favorite. That's a really close game. We are -6.5 in Vegas right now. Expect a mid to high scoring game. 

22 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

No one is underestimating Troy. There is probably a greater than 50% chance we lose. I think we would have had the same, if not a better chance of beating Florida State than Troy.  But you guys aren't Alabama. 

We're not Alabama or Auburn by any means. I do think you need a good defense to hang with top level talent from P5 schools like LSU and Florida State. Big schools like that almost always shut down the smaller school's offense, even when they are pretty good in G5 circles. When you bring a defense that can stop them, it gives your team a chance to get a few lucky bounces before it gets out of hand. I just don't think you could stop LSU or Florida State from rolling 30+ on you guys.

3 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

What is our record this year in games where the ESPN power index said we were unflavored?

3 hours ago, TroyFootball05 said:

We're not Alabama or Auburn by any means. I do think you need a good defense to hang with top level talent from P5 schools like LSU and Florida State. Big schools like that almost always shut down the smaller school's offense, even when they are pretty good in G5 circles. When you bring a defense that can stop them, it gives your team a chance to get a few lucky bounces before it gets out of hand. I just don't think you could stop LSU or Florida State from rolling 30+ on you guys.

I think it has more to do with depth. Smaller can usually hang in the first half then wear out in the second! Georgia would be my example.

21 minutes ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

What is our record this year in games where the ESPN power index said we were unflavored?

4-4

Wins as dogs = USM, UTSA (this one may have ended as pick'em or small fav), Latech, Army
Losses as dogs = Iowa, SMU, FAU, FAU

Army (FPI= -0.2) and SMU (FPI= -0.7) are the two opponents that we faced this year that are closest to, but rated slightly better than, Troy (FPI= -1.5) comapred to UNT (FPI= -7.7).  Everything points to a very competitive game. 

I think we will be able to move the ball, but they are very tough in the red zone.  Logic says we will need to score from outside the red zone given their defensive success, but their secondary is built to keep things in front of it.  Guyton could help us out a lot by breaking out of the funk he has been in.  Our defense will have to make some timely stops as well.

16 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

4-4

Wins as dogs = USM, UTSA (this one may have ended as pick'em or small fav), Latech, Army
Losses as dogs = Iowa, SMU, FAU, FAU

Army (FPI= -0.2) and SMU (FPI= -0.7) are the two opponents that we faced this year that are closest to, but rated slightly better than, Troy (FPI= -1.5) comapred to UNT (FPI= -7.7).  Everything points to a very competitive game. 

I think we will be able to move the ball, but they are very tough in the red zone.  Logic says we will need to score from outside the red zone given their defensive success, but their secondary is built to keep things in front of it.  Guyton could help us out a lot by breaking out of the funk he has been in.  Our defense will have to make some timely stops as well.

Keeping all in front was the FAU strategy! Worked well but I really think Mason was way to hesitant in the first half and let loose in the second. Keep Mason upright and get a running game going and we will win it! Let it fly!!

All of the analyses here are pretty sound. I really think this will come down to the Mean Green offense adjusting to the Trojan defense...and Special Teams. Those 2 things will either win it for us...or let it run away a la FAU. This should be a close game...but either team could lose big if they can't adjust to some likely big plays and offensive setbacks.

14 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Bro, you should just admit that you are now a TCU fan and move on.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2

9 hours ago, TroyFootball05 said:

Does your mom know you’re using the computer again?

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, TroyFootball05 said:

No. This is our first 10 win regular season in our FBS history. We beat LSU, and beat the reigning champs for a SBC title - something we haven't had since our five year run from 2006 - 2010. We beat a MAC division champ along the way. If we lose to you guys it will still be a great season. You would have had to have been there when we were really bad from 2011 to 2014 to understand that this and last year are great seasons no matter what happens in the bowls.

We are also not a heavy favorite. 65% usually translates to being a 7 point favorite. That's a really close game. We are -6.5 in Vegas right now. Expect a mid to high scoring game. 

Oh, brother trust me...   we know bad football recently.  

We’re the team that lost to a FCS team by almost 60pts 26 months ago on our way to a 1-11 year.

Congrats on yall’s turnsround.  We’re loving ours as well & just know most of us expect a good game!

On 12/9/2017 at 7:20 AM, UNT90 said:

We aren't underestimating anyone, but this Troy fan comes rolling in here like they are Bama. I watched them sneak out a win against Arky State. Troy's pass defense is suspect at best. Give Mason time and we will be fine. 

• Lovely Take 1

• 2 months later...

Fine could make even a bigger splash on the national scene this year.   

However, what I am most happy about; this is the first season since Scott Hall played that NT does not have big questions about QB going into the season.   There is no debate about who should be starting or high hopes on the new QB that is going to come in and take over.