Missouri home and home in exchange for...

untcampbell

9 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Looks like it is going to be a long bowl and off season to get through.  Will be tough to hold on to everyone, especially on the offensive side of the ball.

I would say hard to hold on to everyone exclusively on the offensive side of the ball. Let's face it, our defense was horrible except against the CUSA bottom feeders.  I've wondered if we might not have a new defensive coordinator next season.

• Downvote 1

If Graham wants to go, the let him go. His playcalling will get torn up in SEC. IMO he is not ready. To many times our high powered offense stalled out and if not for fancy footwork by Fine would have been very bad.

Edited by untbowler
  • Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 6

10 hours ago, Cr1028 said:

Home and Home plus Marcus Trice.

raw

1 hour ago, untbowler said:

If Graham wants to go, the let him go. His playcalling will get torn up in SEC. IMO he is not ready. To many times our high powered offense stalled out and if not for fancy footwork by Fine would have been very bad.

Agree.   I'm sure Littrell knows a bunch of guys who could step in & run his offense.

• Lovely Take 2

3 hours ago, untbowler said:

"Not ready" is the key.  But I like his present trajectory from last year to this year, and I would rather he stay another 2-3 years.

• Upvote 6
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, hickoryhouse said:
  • Graham is a star on the rise IMHO.   I would love to see him stay here a couple more years with Mason and SL.   Keeping this offensive staff together will be hard, but I think if we can do it we could see some major dividends next year.

Absolutely. GH is a rising star, and should end up being one of the brightest offensive minds in college football for a long time.

• Upvote 1

GH isn't ready for Prime Time....play calling was mediocre. 

5 hours ago, untbowler said:

Agreed...Fine and Wilson bailed him and SL out in several games. This coaching staff has at minimum one more year before they have a target on their back by other universities. And to get in that "one year period"  they better beat Troy.

Edited by RBP79
Left Wilson out

5 hours ago, RBP79 said:

GH isn't ready for Prime Time....play calling was mediocre. 

Agreed...Fine and Wilson bailed him and SL out in several games. This coaching staff has at minimum one more year before they have a target on their back by other universities. And to get in that "one year period"  they better beat Troy.

I disagree simply because ADs and coaches often hire coordinators based on trajectory and fit... If he is going to work under an offensive coach, I think they would take him now and keep molding him. If it's a defensive coach, they may want him to be a bit more polished and have his own system he can run independently. 

One of the things people seem to miss about Harrell (yeah, the playcalling is suspect in his 2nd year as an OC*), is the work he's done with Mason Fine from last year to this year. Yeah, Mason bailed him out. But part of the reason he's able to bail him out this year, is that Harrell has put in a ton of work with him.

That said, I think the general sentiment is correct. He's not ready. But that risk will fall squarely on the shoulders of whatever coach wants to take the gamble at the P5 level... to their own peril.

* the knock on Harrell when he got here was his lack of experience. i think the playcalling is a big part of that. he's learning on the job, and it is what it is. 

Listening to Bill Connelly's "Podcast Ain't Played Nobody" he partially joked that Harrell is the next Mizzou OC when covering the New Orleans Bowl.

Prompted me to do some more digging to see if there was any further news to uncover hear and came across a couple SB Nation posts

Bill Connelly outlines 25 options for the Tigers...

Where will Barry Odom turn to replace departing offensive coordinator Josh Heupel?

"...Harrell, the former Texas Tech quarterback, has been spectacular at UNT. The Mean Green currently rank 22nd in Off. S&P+ this year and won the Conference USA West two years after going 1-11. I would be surprised if Harrell isn’t somewhere on Odom’s list."

David Morrison compares candidates to Josh Heupel...

The search for the next Josh Heupel

"Harrell: the former Mike Leach Air Raid quarterback who is helping Seth Littrell tear up defenses for Wren Baker down in Denton.

Harrell’s Mean Green runs a little bit less often and less effectively than Heupel’s Tigers have this year, but it does get a little more percentage of its total yards on the ground.

He’s only 32 and would be a nice hire"

I'm hoping we can keep him around Denton because I think his relationship with our QBs has been incredibly valuable

Graham is good, but he should care to get even better before he moves on.

What young coaches need to understand: You cannot fail even once (particularly as a HC), or you will be seen as a retread forever after that by a significant part of the CFB community. Its worth it to take an extra year to make sure you are in a advantageous negotiation position.

Edited by outoftown

8 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Speaking of losing coordinators, Alabama papers are reporting that the utsa DC is going to be the new Alabama DC.

Wouff. That would be a painful blow to UTSA. Their Offense was not very impressive this season. If the defense regresses, they might experience yet another bowl-less season in 2018.

Edited by outoftown