SMU considering Littrell among others

Harry

With what we have returning on the offensive side of the ball along with some defensive players and add English we will be picked to win the West again! The negatives at SMU were spelled out, no support and no IPF! We need to fill the App and get the IPF, this will help greatly win competing for recruits! If G5 are a stepping stone then the buyouts need to be increased dramatically!

48 minutes ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

After Coach Bro goes 6-6 again next year, Littrell will replace him at Tech. Book it. 

I actually think there's a higher probability of Littrell going to SMU THIS YEAR than your scenario happening.   Tech is probably not going to want to re-tread the same song & dance.

For those of you saying that Littrell shouldn't go to SMU because of what he has going here and having to "start over", or "risk failing" at SMU, you haven't been paying attention to Littrell.   The guy is brimming with confidence in himself.  If he were as conservative as all of you want him to be, he likely wouldn't even be here to begin with.    If SMU offers him, you'd better believe he's gonna listen, and if he deduces (against his own criteria, not yours or mine) that SMU is a better gig, he's gone.
And if you think Denton's Hipster, Austin-circa-2005 culture is more "Boots & Jeans" than University Park's rich, uppity culture, I'm here to say you're mistaken.  "Boots & Jeans" people love the idea of being JR Ewing, not a Coffee Shop/Craft Brewery owner.

I just don't think the SMU faithful will go for Littrell right now.  They're like TXTech's fans:  "Why doesn't Nick Saban or Urban Meyer want to come here?"

Of course, I thought the same about Arkansas/Morris, and it happened... so what do I know?

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

I thought I'd read that Todd Graham was going to SMU.  Just early unsubstantiated rumors, I suppose? He'd fit perfectly there. 

Heard he's quickly lining up his staff if he does get the job.

Rah rah boy fanboard: “Oh my god, every P5 in the universe is coming after Seth Littrell!!!!!!!1!1!

UNT90: Uh, Chad Morris is much more marketable. Better P5 resume. Coaches a more high profile program. 

Rah rah boys: You are stupid, you are an ass, you hate UNT, why don’t you just leave this program and go away.

UNT90: But what’s even more funny will be the reaction on this rah rah boy board when SMU looks at Littrell to replace Morris.

Rah rah boys: Littrell loves UNT so much he’d never leave. EVER!!!!!!1!!11! He’d probably even coach here for free. 

UNT90: Well, SMU is the highest paying G5 job and a step up from UNT. So could you imagine the rah rah boy head explosion with Seth Littrell on the SMU sideline opening day next year?

rah rah fan boy: Group laughter. 

Well, Mofos, so far I’ve been directly on point. Now you have AD moles telling you Littrell will never leave for SMU. Ya, because who wants to make $1 million more a year while coaching for a higher profile program, right?

Maybe y’all should be prepared, because the only reason Littrell won’t leave for SMU is if SMU chooses someone else. That’s just a college sports fact. 

Perhaps the rah rah fan boys need to consider that Fine has a redshirt year to burn. Might he follow Littrell to SMU?

Now, go ahead and name call me without any consequences.

Adios, Mofos!

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 16

41 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I actually think there's a higher probability of Littrell going to SMU THIS YEAR than your scenario happening.   Tech is probably not going to want to re-tread the same song & dance.

For those of you saying that Littrell shouldn't go to SMU because of what he has going here and having to "start over", or "risk failing" at SMU, you haven't been paying attention to Littrell.   The guy is brimming with confidence in himself.  If he were as conservative as all of you want him to be, he likely wouldn't even be here to begin with.    If SMU offers him, you'd better believe he's gonna listen, and if he deduces (against his own criteria, not yours or mine) that SMU is a better gig, he's gone.
And if you think Denton's Hipster, Austin-circa-2005 culture is more "Boots & Jeans" than University Park's rich, uppity culture, I'm here to say you're mistaken.  "Boots & Jeans" people love the idea of being JR Ewing, not a Coffee Shop/Craft Brewery owner.

I just don't think the SMU faithful will go for Littrell right now.  They're like TXTech's fans:  "Why doesn't Nick Saban or Urban Meyer want to come here?"

Of course, I thought the same about Arkansas/Morris, and it happened... so what do I know?

Disagree. Not going to quibble about SMU being a step up from NT in terms of perception, but I am going to disagree that Seth would choose to split for SMU specifically. 

North Texas is the school that took a chance on him as a first time head coach. If you’ve talked with him, you know what a loyal, appreciative guy he is and how much he respects and appreciates our administrators. He’s not going to spit in their faces and go to the team/program the majority of this fan base hates more than any other. He just won’t do that. He’ll definitely get his chance to move up the ladder and prove himself again on a bigger stage, but the SMU job isn’t it.

That said, just like FAU needs to, there needs to be a substantial increase to Seth’s salary and dollars allocated to his assistant pool after this season’s success.

9 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Rah rah boy fanboard: “Oh my god, every P5 in the universe is coming after Seth Littrell!!!!!!!1!1!

UNT90: Uh, Chad Morris is much more marketable. Better P5 resume. Coaches a more high profile program. 

Rah rah boys: You are stupid, you are an ass, your hate UNT, why don’t you just leave this program and go away.

UNT90: But what’s even more funny will be the reaction on this rah rah boy board when SMU looks at Littrell to replace Morris.

Rah rah boys: Littrell loves UNT so much he’d never leave. EVER!!!!!!1!!11! He’d probably even coach here for free. 

UNT90: Well, SMU is the highest paying G5 job and a step up from UNT. She could you imagine the rah rah boy head explosion with Seth Littrell on the SMU sideline opening day next year?

Well, Mofos, so far I’ve been directly on point. Now you have AD moles telling you Littrell will never leave for SMU. Ya, because who wants to make $1 million more a year while coaching for a higher profile program, right?

Maybe y’all should be prepared, because the only reason Littrell won’t leave for SMU is if SMU chooses someone else. That’s just a college sports fact. 

Perhaps the rah rah fan boys need to consider that Fine has a redshirt year to burn. Might he follow Littrell to SMU?

Adios, Mofos!

zynzLv.gif

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Rah rah boys: You are stupid, you are an ass, your hate UNT, why don’t you just leave this program and go away.

UNT90: Well, SMU is the highest paying G5 job and a step up from UNT. She could you imagine the rah rah boy head explosion with Seth Littrell on the SMU sideline opening day next year?

Adios, Mofos!

You must have not watched this video.  

21 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

You must have not watched this video.  

A video that shows Chad Morris coaching a P5 team? Before Seth Littrell? As I predicted? 

You’re right. Haven’t watched it...

If UNT were sports smart (history says they aren’t), they would be proactive in this instance. Is it a HUGE gamble considering the inability of this staff to prove it’s recruiting chops? You betcha! But guess what, being a college football big boy, even on the G5 level, means a willingness to pay off a contract when needed (something UNT proved with Benford they are still reluctant to do). 

This could get really interesting...

Edited by UNT90
  • Downvote 7

4 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

A video that shows Chad Morris coaching a P5 team? Before Seth Littrell? As I predicted? 

You’re right. Haven’t watched it...

Where he talks about everyone calling him crazy for going to SMU bc they're traditionally one of the worst schools in college football.  Yes that part.  

You act like that is some kind of breaking news that Morris would get a shot before Seth.  Seth had a few options to go P5 this year but isn't leaving unless its the right situation.  He may stay here a few more years and wait for that opportunity. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Where he talks about everyone calling him crazy for going to SMU bc they're traditionally one of the worst schools in college football.  Yes that part.  

You act like that is some kind of breaking news that Morris would get a shot before Seth.  Seth had a few options to go P5 this year but isn't leaving unless its the right situation.  He may stay here a few more years and wait for that opportunity. 

Lol. Ok. Care to name names where these opportunities occurred? And if SMU is such a terrible program, and Morris only got it to 6-6 in the same time span that Littrell turned UNT from 1-11 to 9-4, yet Arkansas picks Morris over Littrell (never even considered), what does that say about where UNT is as opposed to SMU? One of “the worst programs in America” yet better than UNT?

Or are you telling us Littrell turned down Arkansas to stay at UNT? Cause that ain’t ever happening.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

1 minute ago, UNT90 said:

Lol. Ok. Care to name names where these opportunities occurred? And if SMU is such a terrible program, and Morris only got it to 6-6 in the same time span that Littrell turned UNT from 1-11 to 9-4, yet Arkansas picks Morris over Littrell (never even considered), what does that say about where UNT is as opposed to SMU? One of “the worst programs in America” yet better than UNT?

Or are you telling us Littrell turned down Arkansas to stay at UNT? Cause that ain’t ever happening.

Never said he turned down Arkansas.  

5 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

Disagree. Not going to quibble about SMU being a step up from NT in terms of perception, but I am going to disagree that Seth would choose to split for SMU specifically. 

North Texas is the school that took a chance on him as a first time head coach. If you’ve talked with him, you know what a loyal, appreciative guy he is and how much he respects and appreciates our administrators. He’s not going to spit in their faces and go to the team/program the majority of this fan base hates more than any other. He just won’t do that. He’ll definitely get his chance to move up the ladder and prove himself again on a bigger stage, but the SMU job isn’t it.

That said, just like FAU needs to, there needs to be a substantial increase to Seth’s salary and dollars allocated to his assistant pool after this season’s success.

He must do what's best for him.  How UNT fans/admins feel about <XYZ school> is near the bottom of the tertiary list of reasons for him to take any other job.

I'm sorry y'all, Seth Littrell is not married to UNT.   That does not mean he cannot enjoy his time, appreciate our admins/players/fans, and take us to new heights while here.   But that "loyalty" you speak of ends when he feels an opportunity to move up the ladder is there.   Whether he feels the SMU job is that opportunity or not is not up to you or me.  It's up to him   ...& SMU.   I bet he would have a slight bit of sympathy for how we'd feel at first, but that would quickly die.

• Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

He must do what's best for him.  How UNT fans/admins feel about <XYZ school> is near the bottom of the tertiary list of reasons for him to take any other job.

I'm sorry y'all, Seth Littrell is not married to UNT.   That does not mean he cannot enjoy his time, appreciate our admins/players/fans, and take us to new heights while here.   But that "loyalty" you speak of ends when he feels an opportunity to move up the ladder is there.   Whether he feels the SMU job is that opportunity or not is not up to you or me.  It's up to him   ...& SMU.   I bet he would have a slight bit of sympathy for how we'd feel at first, but that would quickly die.

I want to be clear that in no way am I trying to say "Seth Littrell is married to UNT" or "He'll never leave us cause the UNT job is his dream". That is unrealistic fanboy stuff.  Seth is going to move on at some point to a program significantly up the food chain.

I'm saying specifically, I don't see him going to one school - SMU.  For the reasons in my previous post. People are welcome to disagree with that.  

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

If UNT were sports smart (history says they aren’t), they would be proactive in this instance. Is it a HUGE gamble considering the inability of this staff to prove it’s recruiting chops? You betcha! But guess what, being a college football big boy, even on the G5 level, means a willingness to pay off a contract when needed (something UNT proved with Benford they are still reluctant to do). 

This doesn't make sense. Are you saying we should buy out Littrell's contract because he MIGHT be offered a job at SMU? Or that we should buy him out because you don't think he's recruited we enough? Is this just more Bedford butt ache? 

Our current coach and basketball team beat Indiana State last night. Who cares about what happened two years ago - that can't be changed. 

The only reason to think Littrell is being considered at SMU is purely internet rumor. None of their fans think this is likely, none of the better known DFW reporters think this is likely. Littrell is a year away from a P5 job if he stay's here. 

Where is the holistic approach in all of this?  It’s what Seth Littrell has been drinking since he arrived in Denton.  The reason SL has been successful is because has built things everywhere he went.  Is UNT considered a top g5 program yet or are more inclined to think we are nice, becoming interesting and perhaps a little lucky after those close calls all season. We could and are perceived as a house of cards to some.  Do this again and more in 2018 and you get many more delicious opportunities than smu. Tech is a step up tcu is a step up,  smu football is a step down in many peoples eyes including mine.  It not about what was done 40 years ago it’s about what is coming.  That’s north folks.  It’s the better job that will lead to bigger opportunities and Littrell is halfway home. 

I’m with Rick here.  Lubbock is next if not something bigger. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

Just now, NM Green said:

Where is the holistic approach in all of this?  It’s what Seth Littrell has been drinking since he arrived in Denton.  The reason SL has been successful is because has built things everywhere he went.  Is UNT considered a top g5 program yet or are more inclined to think we are nice, becoming interesting and perhaps a little lucky after those close calls all season. We could and are perceived as a house of cards to some.  Do this again and more in 2018 and you get many more delicious opportunities than smu. Tech is a step up tcu is a step up,  smu football is a step down in many peoples eyes including mine.  It not about what was done 40 years ago it’s about what is coming.  That’s north folks.  It’s the better job that will lead to bigger opportunities and Littrell is halfway home. 

I’m with Rick here.  Lubbock is next if not something bigger. 

GMG

SMU isn't a step down. You can argue its lateral, but it isn't a step down.

But I agree that Tech is a very real probability for Littrell if next year goes well for him and Coach Bro gets less than 7 wins again. I wouldn't count out Kansas, either. He could go to a place that needs a complete rebuild and be given ample time to do so, while still being close to his Oklahoma family. And their current style of play fits in very well with SL's playbook. IOW, he wouldn't have to teach an entire squad a new offensive system like he had to do when he got here.

Seth isn't going to SMU because all he has to do is win 8+ games next year and he'll have his pick of P5 jobs. Why would he risk that for 1 or 2 years at SMU? Seth has all the momentum in the world at UNT and has 15 or 16 starters coming back from a team that just won it's division! Meanwhile, SMU was 1 excessive penalty on Tulsa and a VERY questionable goal-line call against Tulane from being 5-7. Oh, and they're are losing Sutton next year. 

Which situation sounds like a better bet to keep a coach's stock high? 

15 minutes ago, Green Lantern said:

I want to be clear that in no way am I trying to say "Seth Littrell is married to UNT" or "He'll never leave us cause the UNT job is his dream". That is unrealistic fanboy stuff.  Seth is going to move on at some point to a program significantly up the food chain.

I'm saying specifically, I don't see him going to one school - SMU.  For the reasons in my previous post. People are welcome to disagree with that.  

fair enough!
brc.gif