Why you should vote yes to raising the student athletic fee

Brady Keane

49 minutes ago, untbowler said:

Come on UNTJim is speaking the truth if students reject the fee. 

Besides me and that UNT90 take the cake for negative nellies on this board. 

Thanks bowler. Some people just don’t like realities of consequences being mentioned. In snowflake terms, they call it “Negative”...

• Downvote 4

Every time when one of these referendums comes up, the Daily, Tweets, FB everything gets blasted with the contingent of students who don't care at all for sports, and decide to put down their XBox controller for a couple of days,  and finally stand up for something they "believe" in, and shout "NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!" from the mountain top, and try and convince all of their friends to do the same...

In reality, it's not fair for me to criticize/profile those students like that, the same way they criticize the reasons/justifications behind the proposed increases.  There's always 2 sides to an argument, and I'd like to think that I can objectively look at their side...

They will argue, that it's an increase in money, and they're already paying enough, period.   OK - I get that...I gotta admit, the cost of tuition just seems to escalate every semester, nationwide.  But, if that's your argument, leave it at that...Nothing more....Shut up....You hit oil, stop drilling...  I get SO angry when they start pulling ridiculous reasons out of their A$$

"I don't like sports, so why should I pay for it?"

"Do we REALLY know where the money is going?"

"I'm so sick of Athletics getting all the money.  Why don't they give that money to the Arts/Music/etc dept, they have out dated equipment?"

If YOU really want the ARTS/MUSIC etc departments to have new shiny stuff, then why don't YOU get off your A$$ and spearhead a campaign to raise money for such items?????????  Or work with the dean of your department to help turn this into a grass-roots movement????????? Hell, do it and I'll even throw some money at the cause because I believe in the ENTIRE university, not just athletics....But it's easy to sit there and throw shade at Athletics, because you don't understand it, or have taken some kinda solemn vow to never go to a football game, because it's somehow beneath you... You don't like football?  OK seriously, I can respect that...Do you also hate the outdoors, spending time with friends, wearing pride on your face, hot dogs and marching bands?  If so, then you're right, you'd be absolutely miserable on a Saturday night at Apogee in the fall.  23,000 people are in that place generally having fun, so much in fact they actually interact with each other and cheer out loud...Might not kill you to take a peek just once...So put on your best Emo makeup and get out there!

In short,  I can respect your money...But come up with a valid argument, and don't dis something you know nothing about.  One day your'e gonna leave UNT, and God willing, your mother's basement, and have to sit across the desk from an potential employer. Your degree and department should speak for themselves....But Athletics/Branding is juggernaut of a calling card that people recognize because it will get more media attention than your major did...

• Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

The larger scale argument is that these fees are escalating because the G5s are in a constant push to compete on a playing field they won't ever be on. A lot of the big schools don't have these fees because they don't need them. They charge their students to see the games (at reduced costs) and have boosters/donors/endowments out the ass.  Meanwhile, these increases are becoming more and more burdensome as we spread out the G5 conferences for TV markets that the TV money is now being reduced on.

It's another reason why the G5s will need to compress their footprints to become more regionally based for their own long-term health.  

So I can understand that argument, trust me. It would be unfair for me to just blatantly say "hey students! pay more money for this thing I want!" But I also doubt most students against it have the big picture view stated above. They just see "increased athletic fees" and have a conniption.

I'm all for it. Of COURSE, I'm all for it. I think it will be a great for the University. But it's easy to be for it because it doesn't cost me anything.

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I agree 10000000000%, they should cut other fees, when you pay you tuition the list of fees is a mile long. Cut others and up the athletic one, of course some may argue, cut athletic and up the others. To each their own I suppose. 

False.. it’s 15 total lines.. 

7 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

1-15 of 24

You're actually missing about 9 more items. And it sounds like a lot, but every other college has fees on top of the base tuition as well. I wouldn't count them differently as such -- some of those are pretty crucial, such as library fees. At least they're being transparent, but subjectively I'd just roll things like that into the overall tuition.

9 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

You're actually missing about 9 more items. And it sounds like a lot, but every other college has fees on top of the base tuition as well. I wouldn't count them differently as such -- some of those are pretty crucial, such as library fees. At least they're being transparent, but subjectively I'd just roll things like that into the overall tuition.

Good catch.  Thought it seemed low relative to the total amount owed. 

2 hours ago, trud1966 said:

..But Athletics/Branding is juggernaut of a calling card that people recognize because it will get more media attention than your major did...

I don't think employers are lining up to hire people from Boise State and Northen Illinois. I could be wrong but show me some facts that prove otherwise 

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

This is my child's spring semester bill, exclusive of room and board:
FnL7G3x.png

$422 or 29% of her cost of attendance (exclusive of room and board) is fees for one semester.

Multiply that over four years, and we get $6,752. 

It ain't chump change.  

Please don't show facts, it feels good to say we need more money from students. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, Dr. Seuss said:

I don't think employers are lining up to hire people from Boise State and Northen Illinois. I could be wrong but show me some facts that prove otherwise 

Just the fact that you immediately named those two kind of proof the opposite don't you think? I'm not saying people are seeking out their graduates but there is awareness about those schools because of their football programs. Tell me one thing you know about Butler or Gonzaga. Or name one degree they are famous for. The point is that you know the Boises, the Butlers, the Gonzagas because of their athletic programs (right or wrong). That awareness undoubtedly drives applications to their school which drives up the quality of students admitted.

Edited by meangreenJW
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, letsgiveacheer said:

Yes, I would give anything to have a degree from Boise St or Troy!

As has been stated “Athletics is the window to the university!” How do we know Fresno State, SDSU, Portland State and many more? It is through the advertising and exposure from athletics! With positive exposure you also see dramatic up ticks in applications! Just ask TCU! 

Edited by Wag Tag

Meanwhile our friends at nUTSAck are moving further ahead.

The committee will submit two options as part of its tuition and fee proposal. The only difference between the options is the differential tuition charge for College of Engineering (COE) and College of Business (COB) students. Under the differential proposal, COB students would see an increase of $42 per semester credit hour (SCH) and COE students could experience an increase of $55 per SCH. The differential tuition rates would only be charged to students taking upper level courses in the COB and COE. Students earning a business minor would have to pay the differential tuition for their COB classes; there is no minor in the COE.

Also included in the proposal is an increase of $1 per SCH in the athletics fee, an increase of $1.50 per SCH for the automated service fee, a transportation fee increase of $9 and an increase in the student service fee of 39 cents per SCH.

The athletic fee increase was called to boost factors such as ticket sales initiatives, brand recognition, merchandising and cost-saving measures. The university believes it can increase the recognition of the university and, as a result, improve the recruitment of faculty, students and community outreach. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Didn’t Boise have a truck driving degree at one point?

i don’t think they’re going for the same kinds of jobs as NT grads!

I have no idea but we have some pretty interesting degree choices as well.  Still think it's a valid comparison to see if athletics helps grads get jobs like everyone is saying

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

I just counted 13 on that guys screenshot, tuition is tuition and not really a fee. Still we have a fee for everything.

Cut the medical fee, and don't give me that "oh but poor students might need to go to the doctor on campus" paying 50$+ a semester for something that is never used. Really $250 library fee? they could at least build a new one with that money, those cheap A** renovations they did last year surely don't warrant $250 a semester per student. 

Oh, and instead of charging these exact same fees during the summer semester, why not tweak they heavily to favor athletics? I was paying like 250 for a library fee for MAY MESTER when the library wasn't even open during may mester past like 6 PM. Or the rec center fee that most never used during may/summer either. Good lord NTX fix your garbage. And people wonder why students dont want to pass a 4$ increase, open your eyes its quite clear. I hope it passes/has passed. 

Also, don't forget that transportation fee because I've never been on a UNT bus/golf cart/segway, moving vehicle. 

Oh yeah, don't forget all the money we make from parking "that self funds parking" aka they are rolling in the dough. Our parking lots suck, the parking situation is garbage. Take money that is collecting dust and pay littrell an extra mil or 2 so he doesnt leave next year.

/end8amworkrant

Welcome to real world.  Stuff costs money.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

Yes, but now that im in the real world, the only things that cost me money(don't mention taxes) are things that I use. 

Don’t care what it cost, it is the returned value on that cost. National awareness and exposure is a value to the university and alumni.