GMG.com Definitive list of things to do, eat + drink in New Orleans

Harry

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

Not a Mother's fan. It's good just not on my must list.

Felix's is across the street basically from Acme. Love both but tend to go to Felix's more often because when it is my wife and I go we can usually get a seat at the bar quicker and watch the guys shuck oysters. If you eat raw oysters and are tipping the guys well you probably will get a bakers dozen oysters.

I kind of agree on Mother's, everyone in my group however sees it as a must have. And yes, Felix's is good and Camellia Grill is a great spot.

• Lovely Take 1

22 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

For those that are staying over Sat/Sun night, especially if the spousal unit/kids are in tow you might want to check out the Christmas lights here: http://neworleanscitypark.com/celebration-in-the-oaks.  Roughly 6-7 miles/~20 minutes from team hotel.

If you want it to rain, have me book a bicycle tour. Happened twice to me so I've not done the bicycle tours yet.

• Lovely Take 1

3 hours ago, Arkstfan said:

Not a Mother's fan. It's good just not on my must list.

Felix's is across the street basically from Acme. Love both but tend to go to Felix's more often because when it is my wife and I go we can usually get a seat at the bar quicker and watch the guys shuck oysters. If you eat raw oysters and are tipping the guys well you probably will get a bakers dozen oysters.

Don't want to sound rude , but how can you even say that?  People only go to Felix's when the line at ACME is too long.  You are obviously not a fan of good seafood.

32 minutes ago, MattMakesLoans said:

Allow me to introduce a new contender to the Po Boy topic: Verti Mart at Royal & Gov. Nichols.

They will also deliver to your hotel room.

Don't know if it's a po boy contender, but I've stopped there at 2 or 3 AM for food several times. Doesn't look like much, but pretty good food especially for that time of night

• Lovely Take 1

9 hours ago, Harry said:

Don't want to sound rude , but how can you even say that?  People only go to Felix's when the line at ACME is too long.  You are obviously not a fan of good seafood.

All I order the is beer, raw oysters, beer, grilled oysters, and beer.

Felix's is good if you stick to the oysters, and yep you can get in faster.

• Upvote 2

19 hours ago, MattMakesLoans said:

Things To Do With Kids (all ages)

The Aquarium & Imax (Canal St @ the River)

The Insectarium (Canal St, FQ Side)

Zoo (uptown)

*-All of these are closed on Mondays.

Things To Do With Small Kids

Storyland at City Park

Haven't had a chance to do the Insectarium yet, but I can vouch for all of the others.  Good stuff!
If you're bringing Lil'uns, they'll have a blast at these places.

On 12/7/2017 at 12:04 PM, DeepGreen said:

Another "must try" is Central Grocery, "Home of the Original Muffuletta".  As soon as you walk into the place, you can smell scents of basil, oregano, and other Italian seasonings.  Old time grocery but worth at least a visit.

Go early because they stop selling when they run out of bread. 

• Upvote 1

Brunch.  Brunch is a full contact sport in New Orleans.  It's a great way to eat at some of the high end places without paying a ton.

Brennan's on Royal is an institution (but I thinks its a bit pricey for breakfast).

My favorite is Restaurant R'evloultion on Bienville.

For low key, low cost I like the Ruby Slipper.  They have a couple of locations, but there's one on Canal and another on Magazine. 

Edited by MattMakesLoans
  • Lovely Take 1

Great post Matt.

also just to throw something out there completely different has anyone done any of the old cemetery tours?  My understanding is some of the tombs date back to the 1700’s.  Haven’t yet done it but would like to.  If anyone has please chime in. Here’s a link I found online:

http://www.neworleansonline.com/neworleans/tours/cemeterytours.html

one thing I have done is the zoo.  Pretty nice zoo as I recall and if you have kids it can be fun.  It’s over by the Tulane and Loyola in a very pretty part of the City.  

Hopefully the weather will allow us to do some of these types of outdoor activities this year.

I've done the cemetery tour, but it was pre-Katrina and before the Catholic Church started requiring licenses for tour guides.

The best tour, which is also free, is the National Park Service Tour.  The Park Service has two locations in the FQ.  The visitors center on Decatur has the tour.  The tour is once a day in the mornings.  The other location is the jazz center near the French Market.  The jazz center has performances and is great for kids.

https://www.nps.gov/jela/french-quarter-site.htm

https://www.nps.gov/jela/planyourvisit/upload/Program-Calendar-Dec-2017.pdf

• Upvote 1