Really Worried About Troy

MGNation92

9 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Ya man I’ll be there. Trying to have a DB mini clinic during the trip? Lol 

Let’s do it.  Bring you a white board or we can go old school and use the mirrors!! We’re staying at Hyatt Regency. 

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Cardinalblacktrojan said:

You guys think you can stop this??? 😁

Yes,

considering Troy State's secondary isn't all that great against the pass D, i feel our chances are good considering we have one of the best QB's in the nation. 
additionally, LSU had 4 turnovers in that game, had 438 total yards against Troy State.

So Yes, i like our chances. 

Edited by meangreen08

Just now, meangreen08 said:

majority of those numbers are from the SunBelt...

They still made the stops... I understand where the competition level is. In today’s day and age the fact they only gave up 210 points all season. 

They played Boise State first game of the year and lost 24-13 

2 hours ago, GMG24 said:

They still made the stops... I understand where the competition level is. In today’s day and age the fact they only gave up 210 points all season. 

no questioning they made stops, but you have to take the level of competition into play. 
UTSA had a better D rating in against better competition in the CUSA.
UTSA D > troy state D

it will be a close game but i think Fine, Guyton and Nick Smith are the difference.

Edited by meangreen08

Troy's red zone D is really good.  Arky State outgained Troy 600 to 300 and still lost.  Arky state had 3 turnovers, gave up special teams TD, and gave up a red zone INT returned for a TD.  Seeing a pattern here.  Troy will let you march it up and down the field until there is no field to stretch and then yards get tough to come by. 

Trevor Moore will likely have several opportunities to kick.  He will need to convert on his opportunities. Arky State missed 2 of 4 attempts.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, TreeFiddy said:

Troy's red zone D is really good.  Arky State outgained Troy 600 to 300 and still lost.  Arky state had 3 turnovers, gave up special teams TD, and gave up a red zone INT returned for a TD.  Seeing a pattern here.  Troy will let you march it up and down the field until there is no field to stretch and then yards get tough to come by. 

Trevor Moore will likely have several opportunities to kick.  He will need to convert on his opportunities. Arky State missed 2 of 4 attempts.

all of the kicking in that game was atrocious. Troy's kicker looks like a bad high school kicker. I honestly think that my washed-up ass could go out there and do better (supposing I could get a few beers in me first).

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Is this our chance to watch the fantasy pairing of the Dickey team's defense VS Littrell's offense?

& I'm not worried about the kicking game... especially if the offense stalls out in/near the red zone.

9 hours ago, greenminer said:

Strange stat from the LSU-Troy game: LSU was held to 0-9 on 3rd down conversions and still outgained Troy by 65 yards.

Most of LSU's yards came in the 4th Quarter with less than 7 minutes left when they were down 24-7.  If you look at the box score details, you'll see that.  That's why they had no 3rd Down conversions but all those yards... because they began slinging it around on 1st and 2nd downs in desperation to tie the game.

BTW, that kicker is riding the bench now after his 0 for 3 game against South Alabama.  The new kicker that took his place is 7 for 9 since then and is way better.

1 hour ago, GMG24 said:

Which was about Boise's scoring average for the year.  

Here's my take.  Arkansas State scored 25 against Troy and left points on the field.  ASU threw for 437 yards and ran for another 169 yards.  If we can't match that then we are in trouble.  I respect Troy, but they are not world beaters, and outside of beating LSU when LSU was in a fog, their schedule just isn't that impressive.

Now, if we play to our capabilities, Smith/Johnson/Tucker run well in Wilson's absence, our WR's/TE's play as expected with Guyton showing back up, then we should be fine.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Which was about Boise's scoring average for the year.  

Here's my take.  Arkansas State scored 25 against Troy and left points on the field.  ASU threw for 437 yards and ran for another 169 yards.  If we can't match that then we are in trouble.  I respect Troy, but they are not world beaters, and outside of beating LSU when LSU was in a fog, their schedule just isn't that impressive.

Now, if we play to our capabilities, Smith/Johnson/Tucker run well in Wilson's absence, our WR's/TE's play as expected with Guyton showing back up, then we should be fine.

I am sure Troy is saying the same thing about us, except we got our asses handed to us by better competition (SMU, FAUx2, Avg Iowa). Troy lost to Boise Top 25 and somehow lost to USA.

Not sure Sun Belt is that much worse than CUSA. Arky State and Appy State would match up well with anyone outside of FAU. 

CUSA Bad was worse than Sun Belt Bottom Feeders

3 hours ago, unt_rocket09 said:

You know there are cover 3 beaters right? You can put that 1-high safety in a bind especially if the OLB is in a match up problem. 

3 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

If they decide to run a Cover 1/3 like FAU, we're screwed. We haven't shown the ability to consistently dink and dunk for 15 straight plays to drive down the field.

Smash concept! And then...

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Haven't worked in our TEs enough for that when we've had chances to.

...put Kelvin Smith inside the Smash and have him run a divide route. The other side of the field can do whatever tf they want.

Take the bowl check and go home. *dusts hands off*

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1