Really Worried About Troy

MGNation92

People may not like this bowl matchup, but it is what it is. They have one of the best defenses in the country(haven't allowed more than 25 points in a game) and FAU completely shut us down.

I'm seriously concerned for our offense and their production under Graham "Run it up the middle" Harrell. The whole offense seemed overwhelmed against a comparable defense on Saturday. 

Here's hoping we can get back to what we do best. I'm not all that confident we will at this point.

42 minutes ago, pastorgrant said:

I think that sceme was a big part of the problem against FAU, they run a cover 3 a lot to prevent the big play and make the opposing offense dink and dunk their way down the field. That is not our game at all. Our offense is built on the big play. 

Agreed - the FAU secondary scheme gave us fits - along with their D Linemen being in our backfield most every play.

I'm sure Troy took note of the FAU scheme and how it gave us fits ... we better be ready to make offensive adjustments quickly.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, ForneyGreen said:

Agreed - the FAU secondary scheme gave us fits - along with their D Linemen being in our backfield most every play.

I'm sure Troy took note of the FAU scheme and how it gave us fits ... we better be ready to make offensive adjustments quickly.  

Adjustments wouldn't help much vs FAU they're just that much better.  However the adjustment needed to be quick game and get the ball out fast, let playmakers make plays in space and march down the field that way. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

14 minutes ago, ForneyGreen said:

Maybe Harrell should have adjusted and dinked and dunked down the field.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think we’ll be adding to that NO Cinci victory. Losing Wilson hurt the offense and the poor secondary play puts NT behind the eightball....

I think our offense if pretty comparable to ArkySt and they marched up and down the field on Troy, but had too many turnovers and gave up a special teams TD.  If we can have the same success on offense and cut out the mistakes, we should be fine on that side of the ball.  Not sure about how our defense will fare.

44 minutes ago, Got5onIt said:

I hope I’m wrong but I don’t think we’ll be adding to that NO Cinci victory. Losing Wilson hurt the offense and the poor secondary play puts NT behind the eightball....

Wrong.  We kick their ass.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Got5onIt said:

I am hoping they prove me wrong, but Troy is just a smaller version of FAU and SMU, athlete-wise. They can physically line up and beat you, plus they can throw the ball pretty well. The last part, alone, would probably give me concerns of a loss, but the physicality they bring is legit. We don't have the horses to match their talent, so its on the coaches to scheme against this. After seeing FAU, though, as well as SMU, where there was no surprise at what they were bringing or going to do, we still couldn't or didn't game plan correctly, which led to three ass-whippings. I won't call the next game against Troy a whipping in the making, but I just don't know that we can keep up with them. 

People want to see Troy as some lowly SBC team, but if they were in CUSA now, they'd have finished where we did. They are one of the best G5s out there, probably even have a roster that could compete with FAU or Memphis or others like them.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

I absolutely HATE this matchup.  

I don’t like our o-line against their d-line, I don’t like our pass rush or secondary against their passing game, and I absolutely don’t think our predictable run game will be successful.  

All of these things are compounded by this:  NOBODY knows or cares about Troy. Had we been routed by FSU, K-State or even Tech the local press and fence sitting alums would have said “yeah, but they had a great season and ran into a superior opponent.”  As it stands they will likely say “that 9 win season was smoke and mirrors...just look what happened against Troy.  By the way, who is Troy?”  

Edited by emmitt01
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 4

Sensing that Troy might be our upcoming opponent, I watched a lot of the Troy Arky State game.  Man, hearing the Troy fight song brought back some unsettling #olddenton memories.  This game is going to have an odd feel to it for those of us around for most of the Sun Belt years.   

#needsomethingborrowedandsomethingblue

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If the players don't have a mindset of having a healthy respect for their opponent, they're gonna get killed.   

Too many people thinking Troy is a pushover.

I don't think they are a pushover, but I also think we are a bad match up for them.  Their defensive weakness is pass defense.  Man, we need Guyton to show up, and the other WR's to keep on doing what they have all year.

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I don’t like our o-line against their d-line, I don’t like our pass rush or secondary against their passing game, and I absolutely don’t think our predictable run game will be successful.  

All of these things are compounded by this:  NOBODY knows or cares about Troy. Had we been routed by FSU, K-State or even Tech the local press and fence sitting alums would have said “yeah, but they had a great season and ran into a superior opponent.”  As it stands they will likely say “that 9 win season was smoke and mirrors...just look what happened against Troy.  By the way, who is Troy?”  

This.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

😆

TROY?...............HELEN?

TROJANS.........(Well)😇

• Downvote 1

That was a nice win against LSU - no doubt.  Some of those passes by the LSU quarterback were pretty questionable - bad decisions.

Y'alls kicker is funny - such a celebration for an easy 37 yd field goal along with a really bad miss - the Mean Green definitely have the advantage there   :-)