Not a lot of Respect for UNT on the Troy Football Message Board

Harry

3 hours ago, DeepGreen said:

Here's one of the first trojan (pack) salvos-

" Love New Orleans so I'm very happy about that. Not really happy we're playing UNT. Never really liked them, and I'm afraid we're going to crush them. Was hoping for a tougher opponent. Not sure we'd beat Toledo, but I would have rather played them, or even Western Kentucky. North Texas has zero brand name recognition.

They can score points, but that plays right into our hands. Not many teams can do anything versus us. It took Arkansas State's vaunted offense 57 minutes to get past 13 points. UNT's defense is atrocious, so we should be able to move the ball at will. "

Horse muffins.....they should thank the Supreme Being they beat lsu...... we need to score early and often. go for 2 every chance. If we are up by 50 at the half is unacceptable...... Folks like this need a hearty dose of the air raid........

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

I appreciate you trying to stir up some emotion toward this game.  I really do.  I hope I get more excited about this game as we get closer to game day in less than two weeks. Pretty much worst case scenario for Jeff Wilson.  Right now I’m still too butthurt over...

I agree. Trying to make plans now for bowl game, but still a bit irritated we didn't go for jugular if P5 FSU. I get the player experience and there ain't much of that in Shreveport. 

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Harry said:

Probably the best defense we have faced all year tough...

As a decent predictor of a good offense playing the Troy defense, Arky St is basically the same as the UNT offense in terms of production.  Actually a little better passing yards (unt 290 vs asu 340) and scoring (36 vs 38.5) per game.  Rushing (177 vs 157) about the same.  You saw  how the Troy defense handled them for most of the game.  Oh, and the Arky St defense (33.8 vs 24.9) gives up 9 points per game less than ours as well.

We will need to play better than Arky St played.  Our offense will definitely need to break out of its recent funk.  Really wish Wilson was going to be back.

I am going to look on the bright side.  If Troy’s offense runs up and down the field on us like Troy’s fans expect, do we make any changes to the defensive staff?  With the Dec 16 play date a lot of good defensive coaches and recruiters are locked up in Bowl game preparation.  If this is a close game I hope it is a shootout.  The offensive needs to live up to its reputation and I think we learn very little by this defense shutting down Troy.  Because we should have the athletes to do that if they are disciplined and get to their assignments in a logical defensive game plan/scheme.

4 minutes ago, Srbtrojan said:

Hey folks I just want to say in advance that I am looking forward to this matchup! Sure..both of us would probably rather be playing FSU or some other P5 with an opportunity to knock them off. But it didn't shake out that way and we both are fortunate enough to play in New Orleans! 
Few quick facts to some of your post
1. Troy is in the middle of nowhere(but 2 hours north of the most beautiful beaches in the world) and it is truly just a college town. 2nd smallest population of any D1 school. Which to me is what makes it special. Everything that goes on there centers around the school. Probably one of nicest campuses you will ever step foot on. 
2. We average about 25k attendance which is comparable to your 23k. So while we are small we have a pretty nice following! 
3. 6 Sunbelt Titles and 2 D2 National championships. 
4. 3-3 in bowl play vs your 2-6
5. 85% of Troy graduates can read.
6. Almost all Troy grads have more than half of their adult teeth. 
7. Student enrollment is listed at 18k but main campus is probably closer to 6k. 
8. Math...not required to be taken in any major at Troy but I have just enough fingers to count our record vs NT..8-2😜 but it's going to get confusing after we meet in New Orleans! 
9. Defense...has not given up more than 25 points to any team this year and I believe we have the #1 ranked red zone defense in the country. 

I think that hits on most of your questions I've read so far! In all seriousness.. please don't let 1 or 2 posters allow you to think we have a nasty fan base that discounts your program. At the end of the day we are two programs that both compete for recognition in big football states. Here's to a good game!!

Good having you! Always good to meet good folks. I mean... I hope our guys kick yalls ass, but still nice to meet you. Ha. Should be a good game. I think our Defense will match up well with you guys.

9 minutes ago, Srbtrojan said:

Hey folks I just want to say in advance that I am looking forward to this matchup! Sure..both of us would probably rather be playing FSU or some other P5 with an opportunity to knock them off. But it didn't shake out that way and we both are fortunate enough to play in New Orleans! 
1. Troy is in the middle of nowhere(but 2 hours north of the most beautiful beaches in the world) and it is truly just a college town. 2nd smallest population of any D1 school. Which to me is what makes it special. Everything that goes on there centers around the school. Probably one of nicest campuses you will ever step foot on. 
2. We average about 25k attendance which is comparable to your 23k. So while we are small we have a pretty nice following! 
7. Student enrollment is listed at 18k but main campus is probably closer to 6k. 
8. Math...not required to be taken in any major at Troy but I have just enough fingers to count our record vs NT..8-2😜 but it's going to get confusing after we meet in New Orleans! 
9. Defense...has not given up more than 25 points to any team this year and I believe we have the #1 ranked red zone defense in the country. 

I think that hits on most of your questions I've read so far! In all seriousness.. please don't let 1 or 2 posters allow you to think we have a nasty fan base that discounts your program. At the end of the day we are two programs that both compete for recognition in big football states. Here's to a good game!!

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Thanks for stopping by, and be aware that fans around here may be slightly disappointed about the Independence Bowl slight (or, maybe very disappointed), but those of us paying attention know this game is going to be a good one & that y'all are a very tough opponent.

• Lovely Take 2

3 hours ago, Srbtrojan said:

It’s been a while.  I was sorry to of the demise of Movie Gallery and that the video rental chain no longer sponsors your stadium.  That was unique and memorable.  

skgi_3908498_9795.jpg

• Lovely Take 1

I love that people from Troy are talking about name recognition. Few people would even know what state they are in. Let alone they are a D1 team. This bowl is garbage for North Texas. Noon a couple weeks before most bowls is just sad. This bowl shouldn't exist. Bowls use to mean something. Southern Miss who didn't get near the conference championship got the best bowl/opponent out of all CUSA teams. Unreal.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 7

3 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

I love that people from Troy are talking about name recognition. Few people would even know what state they are in. Let alone they are a D1 team. This bowl is garbage for North Texas. Noon a couple weeks before most bowls is just sad. This bowl shouldn't exist. Bowls use to mean something. Southern Miss who didn't get near the conference championship got the best bowl/opponent out of all CUSA teams. Unreal.

You do understand that the NOLA Bowl gave us a place to go when nobody else wanted to host the Sun Belt Champion.  Second, although my feelings for New Orleans have changed in the last few years, it is a great tourist town that makes for a fun weekend.  Just say No to everyone on Bourbon Street.  Third, it is my take that the players chose their destination and wanted New Orleans, which as Vito noted, is a better town for those attending than Shreveport, Albuquerque, etc...  I am disappointed as to when it falls because it makes it impossible for me to attend, but this isn't about me.  This is a reward for our seniors that lived through 1-11 and have turned this program around.

With all due respect to Troy, let's wear them out.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1