CUSA Bowls Confirmed

MattMakesLoans

7 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Whoa...hold up...Some fans actually want to play Florida State? 

I know FSU is having a down year and all, but did yall see the FAU games and how we look against a team with athletes and speed?

Please stop it. 

Of course we did. But, I guess we have more confidence in our players than you.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, GOMG2013 said:

Whoa...hold up...Some fans actually want to play Florida State? 

I know FSU is having a down year and all, but did yall see the FAU games and how we look against a team with athletes and speed?

Please stop it. 

To be fair we probably will not be favored (at least by Vegas) against Troy either.

12 minutes ago, vpackrats said:

Just checked ... Hattiesburg to Shreveport is 5 hours away vs. 2 1/2 hours away for us.  So it's sure not the "Southern Miss is closer" argument that drove this decision.  Ugh.

Actually, we are 3.5 hours away. Only fair way to measure that would be campus to stadium as we may have DFW area fans 2.5 hours away but USM would also have alums closer. Your point still stands but...

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

24 minutes ago, UNT86 said:

There is no way a P5 was going to agree to play us, yet.  We need to win several more years first.

If there is any chance we could win in a down year for them, they wouldn't chance it.

Losing to Southern Miss would be bad for them, but not a complete disaster.

Losing to us would be just that to a P5.

No way Florida State would agree and they have waaaay more pull than we do.

This

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

No doubt. Here's how it works, ACC and FSU tell Independence Bowl who they'd be willing to play against. FSU travels insanely well. They weren't going to play LaTech or North Texas and possibly have less fans and end the season with a losing record. It's what I've been saying. It's not North Texas' fault. It's not CUSA fault. It's not the players' fault. It is the system. For the same reason UCF goes undefeated and can't get respect or any hope of being in the playoffs. The power 5 conferences control when, where and who they will play, IF they will play a non power 5 team. Especially now when the Power 5 almost never fills all their bowl slots. They basically say, some bowl isn't getting a Power 5 team. If you try to match FSU up against FAU, we'll send Florida State to Bowl X and you won't have a power 5 team. I am in awe of of how are fans would rather blame the players, the coach, the AD, the conference, other fans, etc. The system gives ALL the decision making power to the Power 5 schools. 

Well, I'm sure very few (if any on here) know exactly who is to blame.  This just doesn't feel right and objective me feels even worse for FAU than us.  The "system" stinks.

• Lovely Take 1

50 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

As upset as we are, if I were an FAU fan I would be even more dismayed.  After the season they have they get Akron.  Honestly, for the good of the conference if anyone should be playing Florida State in Shreveport it should be FAU.  

The problem with this is there aren't enough FAU fans to be dismayed by it. If there were, they'd be playing in Shreveport. 

You can't make all this new Bowl revelations stuff up!  DAMN IT!😡

SO....UPON FURTHER (OldDenton) REVIEW?  (Honestly, all this is making the MG Nation dizzy if not crazy)!😜

THIS?   So 2'nd place in CUSA gets trumped by 3'rd & 4'th place CUSA finishers & teams we beat?  We beat USM 2 years in a row!

Whose doing our negotiating on our behalf for crissakes? Are we screwing up another nocturnal dream in Denton like we have so many times before in the  last 40+ years?  Do we name the new upcoming IPF after the one doing all this negotiating?  Another UNT Hall of Famer we have here on the near horizon? * * Some didn't have to do much to get in that "truly" hallowed Hall except set small goals & reach em' every once in a while as 250,000 DFW area alums still avoided venerable Fouts Field like the plague).😷🤒

Strange reward system CUSA has going on, but not just this year, either. Is the CUSA Commissioner that impotent to not plead our case more effectively?  All these southern fried Buford's & Billy Bobs at the Deep South CUSA schools seem to be giving we Texans & OUR MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL TEAM ONE HELLUVA' WET WILLIE!

REMEMBER WHEN......how La Tech got Illinois in the HOD Bowl few yrs ago, but we got that "BIG" MWC/UNLV  matchup with all 1,000 of their traveling fans & their funky marching band?

Then last December HOD & Dallas powers made sure we get a repeat  matchup with a team we'd already beaten mid-season over any P5-----ANY P5?  Are we really that unlucky, fellow Mean Greeners or is OldDenton rearing  its ugly small time teachers college heads once again?  Seems we can never escape it. Old Lady History would tell us its now time to for us to go into another multi- year losing streak (except I think we beat "her" at the pass this time around with SL & Company). 

Then last December La Tech gets a (one time matchup) with Navy at Amon Carter--a stadium our bowl traveling UNT  fans would have filled to the brim & painted apple green instead we get  55,000 empty seats vs Army in the Cotton Bowl & in a tough part of town the taxpayers of  Dallas needs to spend some serious big bucks to revitalize!  

SEEMS TO ME WE GETTIN' HELD BACK WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR  CUSA NON-FRIENDS OR IN OTHER WORDS---WE GETTIN' ZOOMED!   IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE THE POPE CUSS ON EASTER SUNDAY QUITE FRANKLY!😇

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, meangreenJW said:

No doubt. Here's how it works, ACC and FSU tell Independence Bowl who they'd be willing to play against. FSU travels insanely well. They weren't going to play LaTech or North Texas and possibly have less fans and end the season with a losing record. It's what I've been saying. It's not North Texas' fault. It's not CUSA fault. It's not the players' fault. It is the system. For the same reason UCF goes undefeated and can't get respect or any hope of being in the playoffs. The power 5 conferences control when, where and who they will play, IF they will play a non power 5 team. Especially now when the Power 5 almost never fills all their bowl slots. They basically say, some bowl isn't getting a Power 5 team. If you try to match FSU up against FAU, we'll send Florida State to Bowl X and you won't have a power 5 team. I am in awe of of how are fans would rather blame the players, the coach, the AD, the conference, other fans, etc. The system gives ALL the decision making power to the Power 5 schools. 

So, if it is how you say then it seems there is no need for bowl officials to travel to/attend home games at schools the likes of North Texas (as they apparently did).  They just need to visit the locker rooms of the P5 schools and ask if there is anything else they can do to accommodate them. 

• Lovely Take 2

CUSA Bowl matchups:

Ga St 6-5 vs WKU 6-6 at Orlando, FL.

Marshall 7-5 vs Co. State 7-5 at Albuquerque NM.

ASU 7-4  MTSU 6-6 at Montgomery AL.

FAU 10-3 vs Akron 7-6 at Boca Raton FL.

SMU 7-5 vs La Tech 6-6 at Frisco TX.

FIU 8-4 vs Temple 6-6 at St. Peterburg Fl.

Ohio 8-4 vs UAB 8-4 at Bahamas

FSU 6-6 vs USM 8-4 at Shreveport LA.

NT 9-4 vs Troy 10-2 at New Orleans LA.

We can argue destination, opponents and recognition, but it is difficult at least for me to state that NT didn't do pretty well.   

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

4 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

CUSA Bowl matchups:

Ga St 6-5 vs WKU 6-6 at Orlando, FL.

Marshall 7-5 vs Co. State 7-5 at Albuquerque NM.

ASU 7-4  MTSU 6-6 at Montgomery AL.

FAU 10-3 vs Akron 7-6 at Boca Raton FL.

SMU 7-5 vs La Tech 6-6 at Frisco TX.

FIU 8-4 vs Temple 6-6 at St. Peterburg Fl.

Ohio 8-4 vs UAB 8-4 at Bahamas

FSU 6-6 vs USM 8-4 at Shreveport LA.

NT 9-4 vs Troy 10-2 at New Orleans LA.

We can argue destination, opponents and recognition, but it is difficult at least for me to state that NT didn't do pretty well.   

For combination of opponent and location we did the best, and to me, it's not even close.

FSU is a better opponent, but Shreveport on a weekday is a mediocre location at best. That stadium sucks.

Bahamas, Hawaii and Florida are great destinations, but outside of our target recruiting area.

Other than FSU, Troy is the best opponent a CUSA team got. An argument could be made for Ohio. CUSA is not perceived well, we don't get great match ups in really full bowl years. I think we did a fantastic job. I'm all booked for everything but hotels.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

IF we had a chance to go play FSU in the Indy and passed I would be upset.  However, I don't think that was the case.  Remember, *WE* have to be invited by *THEM*, and if Indy would rather have USM I can't blame them.  

Sometimes you have to lobby for a invitation.  I wonder how much of that we did.  If we lobbied hard and still got the snub then, well, you lick your wounds, do what you need to do to get better (be more attractive) and move on.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Southern Mississippi is a bigger brand than North Texas right now.  That could have played a big role in who they invited.

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I think USM is a bigger brand to the people near Shreveport who could walk up and buy tickets.   

I am disappointed CUSA and us couldn't convince the Indy to invite us instead of USM.  I would only be angry if we had an invite from the Indy an turned it down.  Nothing has led me to believe that.  

Oh great.  Does this mean we need to change our name to Northern Tex now?  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1

True Story:  

Rick V told me when he first arrived in Denton that during the Fry era at North Texas that  USM wanted to be like us.  Why not...We were the first ever school at our level & scope of competition that UT-Austin AD & HFC Darrell Royal had ever scheduled.  It really was a pretty big deal in 1975 when UNT first got on the UT football schedule for a Fall, 1976 game at Memorial Stadium.  We dropped the ball when we dropped down to 1-AA.  We had no other choice except to drop football is what we were being told. I think that was pretty close to accurate.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

You can't make all this new Bowl revelations stuff up!  DAMN IT!😡

SO....UPON FURTHER (OldDenton) REVIEW?  (Honestly, all this is making the MG Nation dizzy if not crazy)!😜

THIS?   So 2'nd place in CUSA gets trumped by 3'rd & 4'th place CUSA finishers & teams we beat?  Whose doing our negotiating on our behalf for crissakes? Are we screwing up another nocturnal dream in Denton  like we have so many times before last 40+ years?  Do we name the new upcoming IPF after the one doing all the negotiating?  Another UNT Hall of Famer on the near horizon? (Some  didn't have to do much to get in that except set small goals & reach em' every once in a while as 250,000 DFW alums still avoided venerable Fouts Field like the plague).😷🤒

Strange reward system CUSA has going on, but not just this year, either. Is the CUSA Commissioner that impotent to not plead our case more effectively?  All these southern fried Buford's & Billy Bobs at the Deep South CUSA schools seem to be giving we Texans & OUR MEAN GREEN FOOTBALL TEAM ONE HELLUVA' WET WILLIE!

REMEMBER WHEN......how La Tech got Illinois in the HOD Bowl few yrs ago, but we got that "BIG" MWC/UNLV  matchup with all 1,000 of their traveling fans & their funky marching band?

Then last December HOD & Dallas powers made sure we get a repeat  matchup with a team we'd already beaten mid-season over any P5-----ANY P5?  Are we really that unlucky, fellow Mean Greeners or is OldDenton rearing  its ugly small time teachers college heads once again?  Seems we can never escape it. Old Lady History would tell us its now time to for us to go into another multi- year losing streak (except I think we beat "her" at the pass this time around with SL & Company). 

Then last December La Tech gets a (one time matchup) with Navy at Amon Carter--a stadium our bowl traveling UNT  fans would have filled to the brim & painted apple green instead we get  55,000 empty seats vs Army in the Cotton Bowl & in a tough part of town the taxpayers of  Dallas needs to spend some serious big bucks to revitalize!  

SEEMS TO ME WE GETTIN' HELD BACK WITH A LITTLE HELP FROM OUR  CUSA NON-FRIENDS OR IN OTHER WORDS---WE GETTIN' ZOOMED!   IT'S ENOUGH TO MAKE THE POPE CUSS ON EASTER SUNDAY QUITE FRANKLY!😇

Remember when Southern Miss went 11-2 and chose the Hawaii bowl over other options?  Their fans gnashed their teeth and clenched their fists, but eventually the next season came along.  And now they are playing in the Independence Bowl ahead of a team that beat them in the regular season.  Maybe they were on to something

• Sad 1