DRC: UNT headed to New Orleans Bowl

Brett Vito

3 minutes ago, KingDL1 said:

We brought more fans to their stadium than they had, how does it look if you can't travel to your home stadium for a conference championship.

Doesn't matter, they supposedly got "first pick." Means the Indy bowl wasn't on the list of games you can get first dibs on evidently, because it's just a secondary tie-in for CUSA. The team playing in it had to be invited still, and UNT & FAU weren't for whatever reasons. Likely fear of losing to FAU, lack or prestige of both programs, or some combo of both. 

Just now, ChristopherRyanWilkes said:

Doesn't matter, they supposedly got "first pick." Means the Indy bowl wasn't on the list of games you can get first dibs on evidently, because it's just a secondary tie-in for CUSA. The team playing in it had to be invited still, and UNT & FAU weren't for whatever reasons. Likely fear of losing to FAU, lack or prestige of both programs, or some combo of both. 

Rumor is Kiffin wanted to stay in Florida anyway.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

You act like you have to be right because you have sources.  Other people can have sources.   I trust my sources.  

ETA: I also saw us roll out the red carpet for the Indy bowl reps.  Why would the president smother them with attention if we didn't want the bowl invite?

Why do I have to be right, because I have sources? You literally did the same thing LOL.. and no idea but they settled for NO and targeted smaller bowls

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I don't see how these picks strengthen your argument.  You say the NO bowl choice would lower our attendance  but instead you would choose:

• Bahamas: Very expensive trip and need a passport.  I would go but I would expect to be joined by 1500 Mean Green fans at the most.  (No team is ever expected to travel for this game. If you don't already have a passport, you probably couldn't anyway, But it is a new bowl for North Texas with a respected MAC opponent)
  • New Mexico: I actually like ABQ but this is on the exact same day as the NO and I don't think the city is anywhere near the draw NO will be. (New bowl for North Texas, and I prefer Colorado State)
  • Gasparilla: Playing on a baseball diamond would be kinda neat to see, but his is more expensive than the NO bowl, and I don't think the city is a big a draw as NO. (New bowl for North Texas, Florida recruiting, & AAC opponent)
  • Frisco: We would probably take a good crowd here.  It is a tiny stadium, we'll prob have about the same attendance as the SMU game did this year, and oh yeah we have already played SMU.  Add to this Smatresk didn't want to go to it.  (New bowl for North Texas, big attendance, & hated rival)

Outside of the I Bowl, no C-USA bowl is perfect, just better, in my opinion.

8 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Have you check airline tickets to new orleans. $$$$$ 

IDK if more money then others places but on short notice I'm not seeing a lot. 

holy cow Southwest is not cheap,  

I would have to go American at this point but I only glossed over it. 

4 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

Outside of the I Bowl, no C-USA bowl is perfect, just better, in my opinion.

I bowl is not a primary  CUSA bowl.  We'll just have to agree on what is a better bowl.  I think outside of USM we got the best bowl slot.  And they got a slot that didn't extend an invite to us.

Best way to show that bowl committee that they made a mistake is taking  ton of people to the NO Bowl.  

One last thought before this thread hopefully dies and we all move on. 

FSU & USM have actually played several times in their history and the series is very close all-time-- 13-8-1 FSU lead.

Lest we forget and act like we are a superior program to Troy, we are 2-8 against them all-time. Let's just win this thing and make it 3-8.

We, as a program, have long ways to go, and we should strive to have the type of success Southern Miss has had in its history. One step at a time...

6 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I bowl is not a primary  CUSA bowl.  We'll just have to agree on what is a better bowl.  I think outside of USM we got the best bowl slot.  And they got a slot that didn't extend an invite to us.

Best way to show that bowl committee that they made a mistake is taking  ton of people to the NO Bowl.  

We had a lot to sell to the I Bowl. 2nd place in C-USA. Larger university. More alums. Large attendance numbers in our past bowls. Beat USM this season. Closer proximity to their bowl.

They don't care how many we take to the NO Bowl this year. Our university and athletic department needs to get better at selling our program. Right now Wren is having to respond to angry students mad about the bowl being during their graduation. Yes, he has said they will hold a small service in New Orleans for athletes and students, but that is a weak quick fix. Students are not going to call home and tell their parents, aunts, uncles, baby cousins, and old blue haired grandmothers to pack it up, travel to New Orleans, and watch them graduate in some half planned pseudo-graduation on Bourbon Street.

My opinion is that with all we had to sell this season, our leadership didn't do a good enough job, and needs to improve. I think that is far more important for future bowl invitations, then how bad our attendance is going to be in the NO Bowl.

• Downvote 1

Just now, Side Show Joe said:

My opinion is that with all we had to sell this season, our leadership didn't do a good enough job, and needs to improve. I think that is far more important for future bowl invitations, then how bad our attendance is going to be in the NO Bowl.

How are they supposed to sell an even worse situation next time?  Because that is exactly what would happen if we don't bring a good crowd to NO.  

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

How are they supposed to sell an even worse situation next time?  Because that is exactly what would happen if we don't bring a good crowd to NO.  

I disagree.

We have several weapons back next season. I would not be surprised to see North Texas finish next season with a similar or even better record. Especially if we can get a real defense on the field. Few G5 teams take impressive crowds to their bowls. Our attendance will be explained as a result of scheduling issues with graduation, and disgruntled fans over the opponent and date. I really don't see it as a problem with future invitations. Do you really think the New Mexico Bowl expects WKU to travel well?

1 minute ago, Side Show Joe said:

I disagree.

We have several weapons back next season. I would not be surprised to see North Texas finish next season with a similar or even better record. Especially if we can get a real defense on the field. Few G5 teams take impressive crowds to their bowls. Our attendance will be explained as a result of scheduling issues with graduation, and disgruntled fans over the opponent and date. I really don't see it as a problem with future invitations. Do you really think the New Mexico Bowl expects WKU to travel well?

New Mexico is Marshall.. let’s hope that Marshall defense can stop the CS offense 

I hope that the last thing that have to do is start offering tired old excuses.

This is the challenge with running an operation of any size.  You simply are not going to please everyone all the time.  Hopefully, that that can't or won't attend in person will be able to tune in and watch live or recorded on TV.  

Next year I am sure will present a different challenge.  Onward and upward.

#beatTroy

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

When was school brought up? My statement was about if someone is required to work the day after xmas then they likely will be working the weekends leading up to xmas.. 

The game is two days after Christmas. Companies don't give the whole week off. I don't work weekends, but I have to be back at work Tuesday if I don't use PTO.

3 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

We had a lot to sell to the I Bowl. 2nd place in C-USA. Larger university. More alums. Large attendance numbers in our past bowls. Beat USM this season. Closer proximity to their bowl.

They don't care how many we take to the NO Bowl this year. Our university and athletic department needs to get better at selling our program. Right now Wren is having to respond to angry students mad about the bowl being during their graduation. Yes, he has said they will hold a small service in New Orleans for athletes and students, but that is a weak quick fix. Students are not going to call home and tell their parents, aunts, uncles, baby cousins, and old blue haired grandmothers to pack it up, travel to New Orleans, and watch them graduate in some half planned pseudo-graduation on Bourbon Street.

50% of CUSA's guranteed bowls are on December 16th. Doubtful at any point you could rule out any bowl on Dec 16th. Also, that's almost every school's graduation. Doubtful admin is trying to replace commencement. Offering an alternative is a class move. But go ahead and twist it into something else to fit your narrative.

Can someone remind me of how appalled we were last year when we not only got into a bowl, but somehow got in to a local bowl instead of having to travel, against a service academy?   Did all of you burn your season tickets last year after how embarrassing for our administration to only get a matchup against Army (here's a tip, it was probably just as out of our control last year as it was this year) while other teams in the conference with much better records played less desirable opponents?  Would it be fair to say we are probably 1-1 at having the bowl matchup thing work out for us?

Nut up.  Onward and upward.

#beatTroy. 

10 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

Can someone remind me of how appalled we were last year when we not only got into a bowl, but somehow got in to a local bowl instead of having to travel, against a service academy?   Did all of you burn your season tickets last year after how embarrassing for our administration to only get a matchup against Army (here's a tip, it was probably just as out of our control last year as it was this year) while other teams in the conference with much better records played less desirable opponents?  Would it be fair to say we are probably 1-1 at having the bowl matchup thing work out for us?

Nut up.  Onward and upward.

#beatTroy. 

Last year, the HoD bowl was swapped all around.   I don't know why.  Army was supposed to be in Ft. Worth.

And last year, NT was literally the VERY LAST team to qualify for a bowl.  We had a losing record.  We had ZERO control of where we went. 
This year, went MUCH better, & we had a lot more control, as evidenced by our selection of the NO Bowl.

Today will be the last day I lament the loss of the Indy Bowl, *I promise.     

*Unless NT loses to Troy & USM beats FSU

On 12/3/2017 at 3:47 PM, BigWillie said:

Part of the reason it would be easier for me personally to have gone to the Indep. bowl was it is only 3 hours away. I could have driven to the game, had a good time, then driven back. No hotel, flight, etc. which save a TON of money. 

I have to believe there are many people in my same situation. Multiple that times thousands and I think we have many more people going to Indy.

Unfortunately, the sentiments of many.

With an Indy'  kick-off at 1:30 most of us  in DFW could have made it a day trip. 

I hope I'm 100% wrong but our school may have to eat some tickets with a shorter timeline to sell tickets for the NO's Bowl. 

Seems we had almost a month to buy tickets for both HOD Bowl appearances.  

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen