Out coached

mgfan

16 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Speed and humidity killed us!

I was sweating like a whore in church in section 127.  And the stadium ran out of beer in the 3rd... The roving beer guys were gone before half way through the 2nd quarter.  It appears FAU wasn't prepared for all 14k people that supposedly were there.

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

Were you the one that had UF fan on your profile?  I don't think you can be happy , you bitch when lose, you bitch when win.  You remind me of my college roommate.  The guy could not see positive in anything.  He always had to tear down any good news.  I guess we will see the banner flying by soon.  I don't think of the us vs them thing. I just get tried of negative nancy attitude.  We are light years ahead of where we were two years ago.  I am proud of this team and what they accomplished.  Can we improve? Sure we can and I believe we will get better.  I bleed green if we lose or win.  I am positive about the future of Mean Green sports.

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

I've stated this in this very thread. 

Our recruiting hasn't progressed at all, and like everyone likes to beat the drum we have went from 1 wins to 9 in two years. So, are you saying, that recruiting actually does matter? 

Yes, BG, we seriously need to step it up in recruiting.  Gray Eagle said it not long after Apogee opened & I still agree with him that we have yet to recruit to Apogee Stadium to this day.  Apogee is arguably the best thing to happen to North Texas football in my adult lifetime. We cannot allow it to become a Super Pit 2.0, though, as in..........Great Venue--Few Good Teams.  

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, Harry said:

Baby B owned Harrell today.  This is not close to the 2014 defense that Mac would lean on with a crappy offensive production and play calling.  We sputtered our of the gate with some horrendous short 3rd down calls and lost momentum early JUST like last time.  This is not a team we didn’t know anything about.  We had film.

This. Defense seemed about on par with the year against this caliber of team. Offense left them on the field a lot and it could have been much worse.  Offense was kept in check and they’re supposed to be our strength. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is the BIGGEST issue I have with him. His passion level is that of a jr high cheerleader on a snowy night. Just calling it how I see it. 

Yep. Doesn't communicate with players or coaching staff on the side line. Just stands with his arms crossed and paces. He is about exciting as his interviews. Even when we make a good play ..... Just stands arms crossed. No good job, thata boy, way to go....... just stand. 

Players feed off of coaches. Our players must be very have been very hungry today. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, mgfan said:

I'm at the game and it seems to me we are being out coached. HC doesnt call a timeout and lets the play clock go out. Doesn't go for it when down by 34. The whole playing calling is bad and littrell looks like he can't be bothered. 

I completely disagree.  There's two reasons why this team won the Western Division despite all the dire pre-season predictions:  we have a quarterback and these coaches get the most out of these players. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

And if we WIN, that persona is seen as level headed, steady hand on the wheel, etc.... I don't think SL jumping around and freaking out or not has a thing to do with us winning or losing. Whatever he's doing, it's working. Working like CRAZY by NT standards. Stay the course. 

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

And if we WIN, that persona is seen as level headed, steady hand on the wheel, etc.... I don't think SL jumping around and freaking out or not has a thing to do with us winning or losing. Whatever he's doing, it's working. Working like CRAZY by NT standards. Stay the course. 

Thank you.  Another solid, level headed post on the day by you.  Wished I wasn't out of points to give.

Rick

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

Thank you.  Another solid, level headed post on the day by you.  Wished I wasn't out of points to give.

Rick

Agreed. Coaches that lose it on the sideline usually aren't successful. Seriously name one. There is no metric where this team isn't making progress. 

Look at the computer rankings

NCAA Men's Football - North Texas Mean Green (2017-2018)
Last year

Up 1 From Last Week 101   North Texas  5-8  17.15 125  49.79   Cusa 3-5

But, yeah there are 3 dudes on this board that want to tear down a staff that has given us 1 of the 5 best seasons we've ever had in their 2nd year. Today sucked. Sucked hard. We have most of our offense back. We need to find some impact transfers on the O-Line and we're good. Our defense wasn't good mainly due to a lack of talent. D Line was decent, linebackers were awful and the secondary we thought was good last year was terrible. Our schematics on defense must get better, but the truth is it was more of a talent deficiency. 

• Upvote 1

You can't coach speed & unbelievable (for a G5) team speed with talent killed our favorite team Saturday.

Boise State became an annual Top 25 fixture with the kind of speed & talent  we saw today & the Broncos used to be a fellow conference mate I always wanted our school to copy cat their program--we haven't yet.  

❓Wonder why Lane K's predescessor couldn't coach what he recruited?  He for certain left LK a tremendous cupboard of talent before he got fired. 

If FAU isn't a Top 25 team then all of us at the G5 level are wasting our time & inve$tment  trying to become one. 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

14 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Agreed. Coaches that lose it on the sideline usually aren't successful. Seriously name one. There is no metric where this team isn't making progress. 

Look at the computer rankings

NCAA Men's Football - North Texas Mean Green (2017-2018)
Last year

Up 1 From Last Week 101   North Texas  5-8  17.15 125  49.79   Cusa 3-5

But, yeah there are 3 dudes on this board that want to tear down a staff that has given us 1 of the 5 best seasons we've ever had in their 2nd year. Today sucked. Sucked hard. We have most of our offense back. We need to find some impact transfers on the O-Line and we're good. Our defense wasn't good mainly due to a lack of talent. D Line was decent, linebackers were awful and the secondary we thought was good last year was terrible. Our schematics on defense must get better, but the truth is it was more of a talent deficiency. 

Not saying lose it on the the side line. I've seen seth get excited, today he stood with his armed cross. You can motivate, encourage, and scheme with out get losing it. He did none of this on the side line.  This game was not part of his plan of winning all home and the bowl game. 

10 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

This is the BIGGEST issue I have with him. His passion level is that of a jr high cheerleader on a snowy night. Just calling it how I see it. 

Why?  Because he doesn't rant and rave and stomp his feet up and down the sideline?  Have you ever watched BTG?  He is plenty passionate, but I appreciate a coach that doesn't denegrate his players in front of everyone.  He has taken us from 1 wkn to 9 wins and a conference championship game in 2 years.  Quit nitpicking everything.

1 minute ago, UNTLifer said:

Why?  Because he doesn't rant and rave and stomp his feet up and down the sideline?  Have you ever watched BTG?  He is plenty passionate, but I appreciate a coach that doesn't denegrate his players in front of everyone.  He has taken us from 1 wkn to 9 wins and a conference championship game in 2 years.  Quit nitpicking everything.

Because it looked like he wanted the game to be over with. Why you saving time outs in the 2nd qt?  Why aren't you challenging any of the terrible spots? I'm not saying he is a bad coach, just out coached today. Or talking to the refs about the holds? I'm not sure he said more than 10 words on the side line today. 

6 hours ago, mgfan said:

Yep. Doesn't communicate with players or coaching staff on the side line. Just stands with his arms crossed and paces. He is about exciting as his interviews. Even when we make a good play ..... Just stands arms crossed. No good job, thata boy, way to go....... just stand. 

Players feed off of coaches. Our players must be very have been very hungry today. 

Ridiculous.  You have no idea unless you are in the pressbox with a headset on or on the sidelines.  For instance, I watched him coach up Johnson after his penalty on a kick return, and have seen him congratulate players on the field and on episodes of BTG.

Just now, mgfan said:

Because it looked like he wanted the game to be over with. Why you saving time outs in the 2nd qt?  Why aren't you challenging any of the terrible spots? I'm not saying he is a bad coach, just out coached today. Or talking to the refs about the holds? I'm not sure he said more than 10 words on the side line today. 

Again, a lot of assumptions here.  Unless you are down on the field, listening on the headsets kr staring at him the entire game, you are guessing at half of this.  Another nit picker of a coach that has improve us from a 1 win team, to a 5 win team and now to a 9 win/conference chamoionship playing team.

7 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Ridiculous.  You have no idea unless you are in the pressbox with a headset on or on the sidelines.  For instance, I watched him coach up Johnson after his penalty on a kick return, and have seen him congratulate players on the field and on episodes of BTG.

Guess we were watching different games. I'm still unsure why he didn't call a timeout before the play clock went to zero and took us out of field goal range or went for a field goal down 34-0. Never challeneged 1 spot or said 1 word the refs. I guess I like my coaches engaged.  I think he is a fine coach, can he improve? Absolutely. 

Agree to disagree

Edited by mgfan

5 minutes ago, mgfan said:

10 words?  Coach was probably doing a bunch of unheard cussing.  This loss hurt everybody who expected a bit more.

Funny is how I never talked to anyone who thought we'd actually win this game--just wanted a closer score. 

1 minute ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

10 words?  Coach was probably doing a bunch of unheard cussing.  This loss hurt everybody who expected a bit more.

Funny is how I never talked to anyone who thought we'd actually win this game--just wanted a closer score. 

Maybe that's the issue, no one thought we would win. Coaches and all. 

14 minutes ago, mgfan said:

Maybe that's the issue, no one thought we would win. Coaches and all. 

After I finally watched the video of our first game & loss vs FAU just last Friday, I seriously didn't think we could match up against their team speed coupled with their talent.  

In many ways, this game was lost on the Texas HS recruiting trails 2-4 years ago. 

You cannot have too many lulls in your recruiting because those lulls will rear their ugly heads at some point.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Maybe this isn't a popular opinion, but even if we did get out coached today--so what? What did you expect? Their head coach was a successful P5 & (albeit unsuccessful) NFL coach as well. Their OC was just a P5 OC for one of the best teams in the nation.

No shit we got out coached.

Our head coach has just now 2 years of HC experience and ditto with our OC. Harrell was barely a position coach before this. They are up-and-comers--those other guys are already established. And they won't be around long. The only reason they are at FAU is because they're outcasts for one reason or the other. Maybe someday SL will be a better coach than Lane Kiffin, but who the hell would argue he is right now... He's still a damn good coach so far in my eyes. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1