What is really disappointing and ironic

meangreanmick

21 hours ago, p_phelps said:

better hope so, a loss to a sun belt team would really hurt the momentum going into the off season

But getting our asses kicked on national television on Saturday didn't? 

I don't understand why so many people are pissed about a damn bowl game opponent, but don't seem to care one lick that we were embarrassed in our conference championship game.

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

19 hours ago, Hunter Green said:

...and Wren and Seth get bonuses for winning the Bowl game.

lol.   That's dumb.   If that is truly the motivating factor (which I'm 99.9999% sure it's not), it's not only incredibly short-sighted, but it's a gamble they may lose.   And for any of you that may think this, but also hold out hope that SL wouldn't jump at the first possible opportunity for more money, you're really dumb.

3 minutes ago, LittleMeanGreenMan said:

I am grateful for this thread.  It is serving as a reminder as to why I never get on this website.  

Half of you guys are real characters, I tell ya.  I'm so terribly sorry that our BOWL GAME isn't up to your standards.  It is really unfortunate that we will be playing for our TENTH WIN in a place that doesn't suit your needs.  There is truly no pleasing some of you.  It is really sad, I feel sorry for your wives.  

We have been absolutely irrelevant for about 12 years.  I would argue, even with our Sun Belt trophies in early 2000s, maybe we have never been relevant.  Even when we were winning the Belt, we would go to a P5 school early in the year and get beat by 60.  It was as bit of a joke.  Those days are over.  This thing is legit.  I am so proud as an alumni, fan, season ticket holder and Mean Green Club member to be able to brag about this team and what they've done.  I wouldn't be surprised if those of you complaining don't financially give back to your school - there comes a sense of ownership when you do, and a certain pride.  I feel like my investment is bringing me dividends.

With the attitude of some of you, we don't deserve Wren or Seth.  They've done nothing but succeed in a short amount of time.  There aren't two bigger up and comers in college football.  If and when they do depart, they will leave the program way better than they found it, setting us up for future success.

Keep complaining about the New Orleans bowl.  I will be the guy with a hand grenade rooting on my school, regardless of where or who they're playing.  I am grateful that we are competing for championships.  I am also confident that our bowl locations and opponents will improve as long as we keep winning.  We are at the very beginning of a long process. 

An out of control rant to basically say - stop complaining, enjoy the ride, and be thankful for what our guys have been able to accomplish.

You're ignoring a lot of details, and we should always hope for what's best for our beloved Mean Green.   

No one is complaining about making a bowl VS not making one.  No one is saying they're disappointed in the players'/coaches' efforts this season.  

Am I glad we're going bowling?   HECK YEAH!
Am I even more glad we played in the C-USA championship game?   ABSO-FREAKIN-LUTELY!
Am I glad, as a person who likes to go to New Orleans & have fun, excited about the N.O. Bowl?   Laissez le bon temps roules!!
Am I satisfied, given the way it all shook out, that NT got the best opportunity to take advantage of this AMAZING season?  Sadly, No.  But at least we're not in FAU's shoes, playing in a bowl they could have had with a 7-5 record.

• Upvote 1

I think the real problem people have is, much like playing a P5, there is a decent chance we lose this game.  Except now, we have no built-in excuse.  Everyone should just get over it.  Bowl games should be a treat more than anything else.  New Orleans is fun for the fans and the players. I have my hotel booked and I am ready to go. I will have a good time in NO with my friends and I get to watch my favorite team play an additional game this year.  Jackpot. Total win/win. If you think playing and even beating a P5 team is some huge program builder,  you are just flat wrong.  It helps for sure but Boise or Houston would tell you it's not a panacea. In our hearts we want a ticket to the show.  The only way we achieve that is lots of winning. Lots of butts in seats. Lots of well heeled and influential alumni in our corner.  Right now we are short on all of those but at least things are trending in the right direction.  So my advice to everyone is use this opportunity to go have some fun in a fun city.  Just chill out. This is way better than all the losing we are accustom too.  The program is headed in the right direction.  

Edited by HoustonEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

11 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

For those unhappy about the opponent.

Sorry you think a Sun Belt champion who beat LSU is beneath you. Check Big Lots they usually have a good deal on mirrors, buy one and put it to use.

For those who don't want to travel to New Orleans. Yeah it's got it's faults but it is loaded with history, great food and if debauchery is your thing, they can assist with that as well.

The measure of the value of a program is not its capacity to drive across town. It is the capacity to get fans on the road. This is an opportunity to bolster UNT's reputation. It is not an insult nor a put-down. It's a compliment but such is the state of America in 2017 that a compliment causes people to feel insulted.

Of course you feel this way sir, Troy is your conference champion.  I understand why you would feel insulted that NT would not want to play Troy.   For me, it's not about Troy being beneath us.  Heck, I'm afraid that game will be a total dogfight... one UNT will likely be the underdog in.

Now, put yourself in our shoes.  If you just finished as the runner-up (which you did, congrats!) in a conference that had a contracted tie-in to the Indy Bowl, with a shot to play a down FSU team... would you want that opportunity? 
Or would you want what just about everyone in the entire CFB space would agree is a "lesser" bowl?

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

11 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Now, put yourself in our shoes.  If you just finished as the runner-up (which you did, congrats!) in a conference that had a contracted tie-in to the Indy Bowl, with a shot to play a down FSU team... would you want that opportunity? 
Or would you want what just about everyone in the entire CFB space would agree is a "lesser" bowl?

Don't matter what we want. FSU didn't want us, ESPN didn't want us. 

So we here.

Build a history of taking care of the opportunities we are presented with and then see where things stand.  Let's have a decade of winning 60%+ of our games, with multiple bowl appearances and wins.

We are at the end of the first month at our new job and everybody wants a promotion.

I am sorry, but you can't have a pony.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

Don't matter what we want. FSU didn't want us, ESPN didn't want us. 

So we here.

It didn't matter what FSU wanted.   They were one of the very last teams to qualify for a bowl.  They were placed in the Indy Bowl.  Put your foot on the FSU AD's throat & give them the choice:
Play UNT/FAU in the Indy Bowl, or don't play in the Indy Bowl.   Then what?   FSU stays home?   Nope, they'd fold & play.

ESPN wanted USM?  That makes no sense, and again, WB & C-USA need to bow-up there & make the better matchup happen, because they have the upper hand in the negotiations.   

I mean, I suppose if the C-USA office spurned us & sided with Indy Bowl & FSU, or maybe they actually think USM would be the better matchup...?   If so, C-USA sold us out.

So many moving parts & backroom deals, but the publicly stated desires of UNT's AD & Football team were not met, while that same opportunity went to a school that finished beneath them.   Something is wrong there.

3 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Build a history of taking care of the opportunities we are presented with and then see where things stand.  Let's have a decade of winning 60%+ of our games, with multiple bowl appearances and wins.

We are at the end of the first month at our new job and everybody wants a promotion.

I am sorry, but you can't have a pony.

Lol.  The pony is standing right there!
Someone from C-USA gets the pony because the CFP just HAD to have Alabama!   
NT's effort all year long put them in a position to get the pony.  Instead, a team they beat along the way gets the pony.

29 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Of course you feel this way sir, Troy is your conference champion.  I understand why you would feel insulted that NT would not want to play Troy.   For me, it's not about Troy being beneath us.  Heck, I'm afraid that game will be a total dogfight... one UNT will likely be the underdog in.

You do understand that what you WANT is irrelevant.

Independence Bowl values you like gum on their shoe. Their selection is SEC vs. ACC and if they can't get that, their next choice BY CONTRACT is an AAC. If they can't get that they then can turn to CUSA again BY CONTRACT.

When you don't give a damn about CUSA it would be awful foolish to run up to the I-Bowl wagging your tail like a little rat dog and give them plum pickings to choose ahead of all the bowls that who put their money where their mouth is.

Your last commissioner nearly lost NOLA to AAC because CUSA came to NOLA and said please release UTEP so they can play in New Mexico. NOLA agreed and bit the bullet and took a MAC. A year later CUSA had one more bowl berth than they had bowl eligible teams and NOLA said "Hey we took care of you last year, you should give us a team this year" He laughed and shorted New Orleans.

The only reason CUSA isn't out of NOLA today is because AAC opted to join Sun Belt in committing to the Cure Bowl in Orlando. But for that decision, CUSA is out.

Their is no joking around over the idea that these guys are your "bowl partners".

Sticking it to NOLA would have been a stupid decision for CUSA.

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Agree.   I feel awful for them.   
I firmly believe they would absolutely smoke FSU, but instead, they get to absolutely smoke... Temple... at home!

No they get Akron because Temple said we aren't playing FAU on FAU's home field. We will play them in St Pete but not in Boca. If FAU had been willing to travel to St. Pete, they could have played Temple, now they get a MAC divisional champ who got smoked in their title game.

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

SBC is beneath us, in the order of the G5, it's a no brainier. 

Sure thing pal.

You are making SBC money with a cobbled up TV deal. That's why the Sun Belt has gotten more performance money than CUSA the past two years though I expect that changes unless Sun Belt has a great bowl run.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 2

11 minutes ago, Arkstfan said:

You do understand that what you WANT is irrelevant.

Independence Bowl values you like gum on their shoe. Their selection is SEC vs. ACC and if they can't get that, their next choice BY CONTRACT is an AAC. If they can't get that they then can turn to CUSA again BY CONTRACT.

When you don't give a damn about CUSA it would be awful foolish to run up to the I-Bowl wagging your tail like a little rat dog and give them plum pickings to choose ahead of all the bowls that who put their money where their mouth is.

Your last commissioner nearly lost NOLA to AAC because CUSA came to NOLA and said please release UTEP so they can play in New Mexico. NOLA agreed and bit the bullet and took a MAC. A year later CUSA had one more bowl berth than they had bowl eligible teams and NOLA said "Hey we took care of you last year, you should give us a team this year" He laughed and shorted New Orleans.

The only reason CUSA isn't out of NOLA today is because AAC opted to join Sun Belt in committing to the Cure Bowl in Orlando. But for that decision, CUSA is out.

Their is no joking around over the idea that these guys are your "bowl partners".

Sticking it to NOLA would have been a stupid decision for CUSA.

Are you saying the Indy Bowl had such a strong "want" for USM over UNT that they would put their foot down?   I don't buy that, especially when representatives from their committee were at Apogee taking in a fantastic show.   

And C-USA is the 1st alternate for that bowl by contract, not the AAC.
They would have likely rather invited an AAC team (who had enough eligible teams to fill that spot) again, based on AAC's perception of being better than C-USA... but couldn't, because C-USA could fulfill it's obligation to the bowl as the 1st alternate.

• Upvote 1

Just two years ago UNT was 1-11 and was straight out lucky to be in a bowl last year. Now has fans complaining about going to New Orleans to a bowl game and are upset about the opponent.

Might we take a trip back in time to 2009 -11 ?????

• Upvote 3

23 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Playing scared is not facing tougher teams in better conferences.. Play Troy while it is a solid team is in a crappy conference that we should want 0 part of.. Play a solid game and we should get the win, and stop looking for an easy team to go out and beat..  

You write this as if NT declined to play a P5 and went out of their way to choose Troy as an opponent.

The options were these: A bowl against a MAC or AAC school in Florida on Dec 16th, or a bowl in New Orleans (a destination city by itself) against the Sun Belt champ.

The Independence Bowl was never a real option, and it seems that FAU overplayed it hand by eschewing the actual tie-in games for a _chance_ to play FSU and because of that swing and miss they are playing at home.

I would love the HOD bowl against Texas Tech or something like that but you have to understand that WVU, TTU, etc are not too hyped about being rewarded with a trip to play North Texas -- the type of team they pay 800K to beat up on in September.

The road to getting nice bowl games is winning like Western Michigan did last year and UCF did this year. That's it. Go undefeated next season -- beating Arkansas! -- and then we can talk about being scared when we are sitting at AT&T stadium.

I'm going to enjoy New Orleans and watch our team test themselves against the Sun Belt champ.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

SBC is beneath us, in the order of the G5, it's a no brainier. 

Maybe so but would you schedule  App. State, Arkie State, Troy or even Monroe during the regular season?  There isn't a lick of difference in those programs and UNT.  UNT didn't exactly knock it out of the park against lower level CUSA teams.

3 hours ago, UNTcrazy727 said:

But getting our asses kicked on national television on Saturday didn't? 

I don't understand why so many people are pissed about a damn bowl game opponent, but don't seem to care one lick that we were embarrassed in our conference championship game.

This.

Seth gets a bonus if we win the league, too. Are there conspiracy threads about that? Gah, someone asked if we threw the game to get the NOB, also. WTH

1 hour ago, Arkstfan said:

Sure thing pal.

You are making SBC money with a cobbled up TV deal. That's why the Sun Belt has gotten more performance money than CUSA the past two years though I expect that changes unless Sun Belt has a great bowl run.

Please ignore the butt hurt on here.  There are a TON of us that are pumped about going to New Orleans to play Troy. We know that they're quality just like ASU, App, ect. This game has the potential to be one of the most fun G5 matchups. I think its great for the NO Bowl that they're getting to match a 10 win and 9 win team against each other to kick bowl season off. Going to be a great weekend!

• Upvote 3