DRC: On eve of title game, UNT appears locked into New Orleans Bowl

Brett Vito

4 minutes ago, Shark84 said:

Hate it, but if that's what the coaching staff and players want. They earned that right. 

This is about the program as a whole. Lots of people made the argument we want New Orleans to get to 10 wins for recruiting (Troy will not be easy). But per Mr. Vito we will pick New Orleans even if we get win #10 tomorrow. If the explanation is that New Orleans is more fun than Shreveport that's completely unacceptable. 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 2

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This is about the program as a whole. Lots of people made the argument we want New Orleans to get to 10 wins for recruiting (Troy will not be easy). But per Mr. Vito we will pick New Orleans even if we get win #10 tomorrow. If the explanation is that New Orleans is more fun than Shreveport that's completely unacceptable. 

Again, I don't understand why we would want to go to the New Orleans Bowl. Independence Bowl or HOD against P5 seems like a great opportunity to make the biggest impact on the program with fans and possible recruits. I agree that a loss to Troy would really hurt. I just want to hear SL give his side. GMG Beat FAU!

• Upvote 3

Again, why in the hell do some of you continue to think that NT has a choice to play in either the Independence bowl or HOD bowl.   Nether are CUSA designated bowls, so even if NT clobbers FAU tomorrow they cannot pick either Bowl.   

The HOD bowl traded to get their dream match of two P5's.  The Independence Bowl is between an ACC team and perhaps a SEC team if one is available.  There is no reason to believe they would want NT over either La Tech or USM if it goes to the CUSA.  

I also wonder why the players wishes are so easily dismissed.  Some of you live in a dream world if you think the Belt champ is somehow not worthy of playing NT.   You are also delusional if you think playing in NO hurts recruiting.   

I hope if  the NO Bowl is announced that many of you will stop complaining and just support the team the best you can.   There has been more than enough complaining pre-selection.   

• Upvote 8
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 11

Terrible if true. I expect better from our leadership. I don't expect much of a Mean Green turnout either. I know I will not pay good money to travel and watch a match up with a Sun Belt team. The New Orleans Bowl is an Old Denton destination.

In a side note... I think this is a terrible article. Brett had a chance to hold our athletic department to a higher standard, but he did not. He didn't even bother to mention that the NO Bowl falls on the same day as UNT's graduation.

Lets be honest. Our team is finishing an amazing offensive season, with an undefeated home record, and we may very well get sent to the kiddie table for bowl season. We will watch other C-USA teams (that we beat), play in bowls with better opponents. The worst part about it is our athletic department, local media, and even some on this board, want to try and serve us poop and call it steak.

Edited by Side Show Joe
  • Upvote 10
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1
  • Downvote 5

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Again, why in the hell do some of you continue to think that NT has a choice to play in either the Independence bowl or HOD bowl.   Nether are CUSA designated bowls, so even if NT clobbers FAU tomorrow they cannot pick either Bowl.   

The HOD bowl traded to get their dream match of two P5's.  The Independence Bowl is between an ACC team and perhaps a SEC team if one is available.  There is no reason to believe they would want NT over either La Tech or USM if it goes to the CUSA.  

I also wonder why the players wishes are so easily dismissed.  Some of you live in a dream world if you think the Belt champ is somehow not worthy of playing NT.   You are also delusional if you think playing in NO hurts recruiting.   

I hope if  the NO Bowl is announced that many of you will stop complaining and just support the team the best you can.   There has been more than enough complaining pre-selection.   

CUSA has a secondary tie in in Shreveport so a CUSA team will almost certainly fill that other spot. 

I am not trying to dismiss the wishes of the players.  If they want to leave Dallas, that's fine and I get it, they've played their butts off. But when a closer bowl for the fans against a higher profile (but possibly weaker team as @MeanGreenTexan has been trying to point out) exists, then I just feel like our administration should be steering us in that direction (especially if we have first choice). 

Troy is good and a win against them would be great on the field. But in the grand scheme of things, despite the fact Troy beat LSU, there is really no perception "win" for us by playing them. Especially if we wrap up win #10 tomorrow  

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1

Even our first trip to NO which was unexpected till late in the season gave us more time to prepare, I think it was on Dec 18 and it was at night. The timing for this game is not good. I have made every bowl game since that first NO Bowl but this one is problematic. I personally do not think this is the best option.

• Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

Just now, TheColonyEagle said:

So it appears this Bowl is the #1 choice from the athletic department.

I guess my question is:

How does the New Orleans Bowl help the program?

It doesn't.

It might help Baker and Littrell earn some extra contract money, but it does nothing to advance our program.

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

55 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

So let me get this straight. Even if we win tomorrow and have first pick we still take the worst choice available (early game in a cavernous empty stadium against a conference we want to distance from versus a team no one cares about that will probably be favored over us). And meanwhile we give FAU a game against a P5 school about 4 hours closer for our fans than New Orleans in a stadium that would be absolutely packed. If that is actually what is happening (and I'm still having a hard time digesting it) the fans deserve a full, on the record explanation from our administration. 

The players want it- they don’t owe us an explanation. 

• Upvote 11
  • Downvote 5

Just now, Pavlovs Eagle said:

I'd rather go to New Mexico than the New Orleans bowl... and I don't want to go to New Mexico.  I was hyped for a possibility of Shreveport.  Guess I'll watch the game on ESPN 8, The Ocho.

Agreed. The New Mexico Bowl verses a MWC team would be a much more attractive bowl. I'm still holding out hope that our administration will get us something better then the NO Bowl.

3 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

CUSA has a secondary tie in in Shreveport so a CUSA team will almost certainly fill that other spot. 

I am not trying to dismiss the wishes of the players.  If they want to leave Dallas, that's fine and I get it, they've played their butts off. But when a closer bowl for the fans against a higher profile (but possibly weaker team as @MeanGreenTexan has been trying to point out) exists, then I just feel like our administration should be steering us in that direction (especially if we have first choice). 

Troy is good and a win against them would be great on the field. But in the grand scheme of things, despite the fact Troy beat LSU, there is really no perception "win" for us by playing them. Especially if we wrap up win #10 tomorrow  

What makes you think that NT would be selected by the Independence Bowl?    If a SEC team is not available, and we don't know yet if there will be one, then it goes to CUSA.   But I suspect the Independence Bowl would play a big part in the selection of the team not CUSA.   However, this is all moot, if NT has already reached an agreement with the NO Bowl.  

I am not referring to you and anyone in particular, but it seems to me that there are a lot of fans whose main bowl criteria is how easy is it for me to attend.   This is actually a good reason to hope for a closer bowl, but don't veil it in all this indignation about the opponent or pretend that the NO Bowl is going to harm NT's status in anyway.  

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, GrandGreen said:

What makes you think that NT would be selected by the Independence Bowl?    If a SEC team is not available, and we don't know yet if there will be one, then it goes to CUSA.   But I suspect the Independence Bowl would play a big part in the selection of the team not CUSA.   However, this is all moot, if NT has already reached an agreement with the NO Bowl.  

I am not referring to you and anyone in particular, but it seems to me that there are a lot of fans whose main bowl criteria is how easy is it for me to attend.   This is actually a good reason to hope for a closer bowl, but don't veil it in all this indignation about the opponent or pretend that the NO Bowl is going to harm NT's status in anyway.  

Well if we win tomorrow we supposedly get first choice of the available bowls with CUSA tie ins. Independence is one. Some have said the loser tomorrow gets second choice. I don't know if that is true or not. if the potential opponents in these bowls were switched I'd be arguing FOR New Orleans. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Well if we win tomorrow we supposedly get first choice of the available bowls with CUSA tie ins. Independence is one. Some have said the loser tomorrow gets second choice. I don't know if that is true or not. if the potential opponents in these bowls were switched I'd be arguing FOR New Orleans. 

I agree to a point. The date is also an issue. I don't like the NO Bowl being on the 16th.

• Upvote 2