3 Keys to Success... UNT vs. FAU

UNTWILLWIN

3 minutes ago, UNTWILLWIN said:

What are your 3 keys to success?

1 - UNT run game hits 200+ yards

2 - Hold FAU to under 150 yards rushing

3 - UNT +3 in the TO category  

67413parksvilleRaptors.jpg

If 1 AND 2 happens then 3 doesn't have to happen. If we hold FAU under 150 on the ground we win the game. If we hold them under that and rush for 200+ we win going away. If 3 happens and the first 2 happens, we beat them like they beat us in the first match up. 

The real key to the game is for UNT's offense to be clicking throughout the game, a la vs Army. If it does that then the turnover margin for the game becomes much more important. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

If 1 AND 2 happens then 3 doesn't have to happen. If we hold FAU under 150 on the ground we win the game. If we hold them under that and rush for 200+ we win going away. If 3 happens and the first 2 happens, we beat them like they beat us in the first match up. 

The real key to the game is for UNT's offense to be clicking throughout the game, a la vs Army. If it does that then the turnover margin for the game becomes much more important. 

He speaks the truth.  I don't see how we don't rush for 200+ yards.

• Downvote 1

12 minutes ago, UNTWILLWIN said:

What are your 3 keys to success?

1 - UNT run game hits 200+ yards

2 - Hold FAU to under 150 yards rushing

3 - UNT +3 in the TO category  

67413parksvilleRaptors.jpg

Have we been +3 in TO at all this year? 

We are not a team that thrives on turnovers... we actually really suck at it

8 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

A single three-and-out might be what does UNT in. I see the game playing out very similar to the Army game.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, meangreenlax said:

A single three-and-out might be what does UNT in. I see the game playing out very similar to the Army game.

Possibly. I think the first half, particularly the 1st quarter, is of high importance. If we either 1) Come out and stymie their offense early and/or 2) Put up points quickly then it sets a tone for the game and let's FAU know that UNT is here to win. 

• Upvote 1

UNT will be trailing at the half, but coming out of the tunnel mid way through the 3rd quarter will be Jeffrey Wilson, riding on the back Bryce English, riding on the back of Raveon Hoston, which will catch FAU by surprise  and spark a UNT rally for the victory.

If these events occur as I have described them, and I have no reason to believe that they won't,  I believe they will be the key to the game and UNT will win.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, meangreenlax said:

Short of Reffett pulling a Briles-esque move where he completely revamped his entire offense before the bowl game against UNC, I don't see how this 3-3-5 is going to stop FAU's run game.  

So, my key to this game is to bring a completely different defense than we've seen all year. 

Short of that, we must score on every single possession....and that still may not be enough.

• Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

UNT will be trailing at the half, but coming out of the tunnel mid way through the 3rd quarter will be Jeffrey Wilson, riding on the back Bryce English, riding on the back of Raveon Hoston (carrying Ray), which will catch FAU by surprise  and spark a UNT rally for the victory.

If these events occur as I have described them, and I have no reason to believe that they won't,  I believe they will be the key to the game and UNT will win.

• Haha 1

Fine is going to have to do some running to win this game and keep them honest.  Their pass coverage is not intimidated by our system and they will try to cover our WRs with as little as possible and use the rest to shut down the run.  I don't see our WRS getting much seperation, so Fine is going to have to scramble and hurt them running a few times to loosen the defense up and stop them from coming after him so much.

1 minute ago, GOMG2013 said:

Fine is going to have to do some running to win this game and keep them honest.  Their pass coverage is not intimidated by our system and they will try to cover our WRs with as little as possible and use the rest to shut down the run.  I don't see our WRS getting much seperation, so Fine is going to have to scramble and hurt them running a few times to loosen the defense up and stop them from coming after him so much.

or utilize the screen to our shifty backs/Darden.  Keep them from pinning their ears back.

30 minutes ago, TIgreen01 said:

Short of Reffett pulling a Briles-esque move where he completely revamped his entire offense before the bowl game against UNC, I don't see how this 3-3-5 is going to stop FAU's run game.  

So, my key to this game is to bring a completely different defense than we've seen all year. 

Short of that, we must score on every single possession....and that still may not be enough.

This.  A 3-3-5 is not built to stop a power running game, but to use TCU as an example, it can stop a team that is trying to run out of a spread type formation.  One problem with us is our 3-3-5 is predictable and a bigger problem is we don't have the hybrid players like TCU to make it unpredictable and successful.   

We barely have players on defense that can do one thing at a high level.  We will need hybrid players that can blitz, stop the run and tackle in space, have a high IQ and play recognition, speed, and the ability to cover to pull off a successful 3-3-5.

• Upvote 1