When do the Fans Return?

KRAM1

So, question. When will the fans return? I have witnessed a completely feel with this team under Coach McCasland.  This team, young that it is and still yet finding its groove, is playing its collective tail off. The hustle is great and it appears that these players are being held accountable not only by the coaching staff, but by their teammates.  It is not always pretty and they do not always win, but they are giving the effort. And, for this fan at least, they are super fun to watch play. It just seems too bad that they are not being rewarded a bit better through larger crowds.

Lots of change, of course, and it is no secret that some fans had issues, but...

Had any issue with RV...he’s gone,

Had any issue with Coach Benford...he’s gone,

Had issues with ice hockey-style substitution patterns....gone,

Had issues with players sulking and not being held accountable...gone,

Have issues with the Super Pit...tons of changes made and still being made,

I could certainly go on, but I think you get the drift.  It’s a

new day and “newdenton” at the SuperPit just like at Apogee. These student-athletes need the support from both their fellow students and the fans...current and past.

I realize that winning is still hit and miss and that once one “gets out of the habit” of going that it is hard to get back into that habit.

But, if you find yourself withwant of something to do check out both the men’s and women’s basketball schedules. We have players and coaching staffs for both you can be very proud of both on and off the court. Plus, bottom line, these games are FUN!

Here’s hoping we see some folks deciding to once again support the Mean Green. I think that, if they do, that they will be pleasantly surprised for now and once again excited for the future.

• Upvote 5

I think the fans will come back if we have something going once conference play starts. I'm interested to see how many people make it out to the Mcneese State game on a Saturday 12/9. That's our last non-con home game, and it's on a Saturday.

If we could manage to sweep or split UTSA and UTEP on the road to start conference play, then beat Charlotte on a Thursday at home, that Saturday game against ODU could have a sizeable crowd.

Trying to relate this to football. We had a decent crowd against UTSA, less than I was expecting, but people really started turning out when it became apparent we were a division championship team (UTEP and Army).

There will have to be some buzz before the fans return in decent numbers I think. To the fan paying hard attention improvement may be evident, but to the fan only looking at the results it is not yet. For that buzz to happen, I feel that the team needs to win three or four in a row or beat somebody people have heard of (Oklahoma would be that kind of team). It may also not be helpful that for the moment all the attention is still with the football team.

Personally I also have to say that something that is almost completely out of UNTs control has diminished my interest and I think I am not the only one: The incredible increase in fouls being called across college BBall now makes for incredibly choppy games, and that is simply not a good watching experience.

Edited by outoftown
  • Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

I think the fans will come back if we have something going once conference play starts. I'm interested to see how many people make it out to the Mcneese State game on a Saturday 12/9. That's our last non-con home game, and it's on a Saturday.

If we could manage to sweep or split UTSA and UTEP on the road to start conference play, then beat Charlotte on a Thursday at home, that Saturday game against ODU could have a sizeable crowd.

Trying to relate this to football. We had a decent crowd against UTSA, less than I was expecting, but people really started turning out when it became apparent we were a division championship team (UTEP and Army).

I wish that was a different opponent. Not the kind of opponent you want if your looking for momentum. 

• Downvote 1

i am back and had a great seat but had to move.  The people behind bring their rug rats and they don't cheer they scream.  Parents have no control over them.  I have moved over a section.  If you haven't been to a game this year you should check one out.  We have a coach that coaches, players that are always moving on plays.  This team is a lot different then last year team for sure.  If we win the fans will come back.  One thing I have noticed this year the fans that are there are into the game for the most part.  We still have the guys/girls with the cell phone attached to their hands.

• Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Well I would be hoping for someone we could beat. Good but beatable. 

I think ODU and Marshall are probably two of the best CUSA teams in terms of that. In terms of getting people to the Pit that day, I wish it were a WKU, La Tech, or MTSU but in terms of keeping momentum rolling (if we are playing well) I agree with you.

2 hours ago, Andrew said:

I am wondering where Army of Dad has been. Students just sit in his seats and don’t cheer and mess around on their phones. 

Side de note: when are they going to start checking tickets? Students are not sitting in their section. 

As soon as enough people show up for it to matter. 

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

It is obviously going to take a while.  The unappealing oc home schedule is a significant factor for many.  I used to go to nearly every home game until the second year of Benford.  Last year I went to two games. 

I hope to make a lot of the conference games this year and hope it doesn't take long for NT to build attendance to at least the Jones era.     

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, Andrew said:

I am wondering where Army of Dad has been. Students just sit in his seats and don’t cheer and mess around on their phones. 

Side de note: when are they going to start checking tickets? Students are not sitting in their section. 

Why would anyone care right now?😂 They'll start checking when there are more students than student seats. 

• Downvote 3

Benford destroyed my interest in NT BB and I haven't been to a game in three years. Hard to get back in the habit and I admit football has my undivided attention right now. I hope for the best for our BB team(s) and coaches McCasland and Mitchell. There's nothing I'd like more than to see us win again in and I think we will. However, my current work schedule prevents me from going to weekday games, but once football is over and the weekend is cleared out, I'll make a few Saturday games, wife permitting!

GO MEAN GREEN!

• Downvote 1

@KRAM1 Not sure anyone is paying much  attention of UNT basketball right now. I mean you can rattle off all the checks in the box you want, but when we lose to the likes of UT-PQEURNTEIV (looks like Canada's new term for LGBT), not many folks will pay attention. This paired with the current success of the football program makes basketball just a blip on the radar right now. 

*Last night was promising though. 4 or 5 turnovers in a 2 or 3 minute stretch under the 8 minute mark vs a good basketball team can't happen. We looked competitive and poised to make a CUSA run up to about that point last night. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

I'm back and purchased my season tickets for the first time since the first season under Benny.  Unfortunately due to other things I've only made it to one game so far which was against Rogers State.  It felt great being in the arena again and I look forward to the team improving as the season goes on and I should be at the next game.

It's just going to take time for the fans to come again...it doesn't help our OOC schedule is pretty meh and I'm pretty sure a lot of people have never even heard of these schools.  

• Thanks 1