Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

54 minutes ago, shaft said:

Grow up.  CUSA does not have a tie-in to the HOD this season, they traded it for the Armed Forces Bowl.

A fourth game against Army in two years doesn't do anything for us.  The Team feels a DFW bowl doesn't do anything for them.

Let's get behind our team and start booking some hotels.

Relax dude. All intended tongue in cheek.  Not advocating the AFB. Would just like to see us have an opportunity for a P5, thats all. If its Troy and the NOB, so be it.

• Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

So this is a lock whether we win or lose against FAU? I know you are in the know.

And NOBODY is griping about the bowl we are headed to, they are griping about the opponent. It screams #olddenton 

When people talk about 2013 Heart of Dallas bowl championship they talk about the W. Not that it was just against a deflated UNLV team... A Bowl win is a bowl win. Beating Arkansas state or Troy in the Nola bowl does more for us in terms of recruiting  than a game against USF. I think Heart of Dallas bowl is a no. Frisco bowl is a no. Armed Forces bowl is a no. New Mexico bowl is a no. So we beat FAU i say it's independence bowl or NOLA bowl. 

• Upvote 5

It seems like the AD maybe asked the players where they want to go and the players said they want take a trip. If so, And the players want to go to NO then that's fine. They earned the right to go where they want if they have the choice. 

I'm not crazy about it and I think it's a risk from a perception standpoint. But if this is what the team wants then go get em. 

Just win.

A loss in that game not only damages us but the conference. 

Edited by TheColonyEagle
  • Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

When people talk about 2013 Heart of Dallas bowl championship they talk about the W. Not that it was just against a deflated UNLV team... A Bowl win is a bowl win. Beating Arkansas state or Troy in the Nola bowl does more for us in terms of recruiting  than a game against USF. I think Heart of Dallas bowl is a no. Frisco bowl is a no. Armed Forces bowl is a no. New Mexico bowl is a no. So we beat FAU i say it's independence bowl or NOLA bowl. 

UNLV was a team from a conference perceived to be better or on par with CUSA. We are supposed to be better than the conference we left. We CANNOT lose to a Sun Belt team. period. We might as well lose to another FCS team if that is the case.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, brooks91 said:

We could be playing Troy, Ark St, or Appalachian St. If App St wins, seems like there’s going to be a tie for first so I don’t know how they break it. I’m assuming best overall record which would be Troy if they beat Ark st.

Of those I would bet it is Arky State as they will bring more fans.

9 hours ago, p_phelps said:

So we play a sun belt team????? #olddenton

That is OldDenton in deed, p_phelps.  We old timers are used to old things & just about accept anything.  We are running out of time (literally) to fight the good fight anymore. Problem's been our war has been from within most times against those who could be considered well-meaning people, but people who are just plain forever stuck in our teacher's college past & mindset at the end of the day.

So......Just keep those fleas in the coffee can jumping the same height even if we had 60,000 students, but still the same 15K to 20K at Apogee?  BS!  What's wrong with that picture?   I observed OldDenton the first week I lived off Fry Street after transferring from Alvin JUCO in 1972.  Thought time and new faces would change it dramatically---well.......it hasn't in almost 50 year now.  

It's almost like we get new re-enforcements of fans/students/alums every 4 years while the prior group of the previous 4 years go on a lifetime sabbatical away from Denton, UNT & anything green.  We just don't piggy-back our fan base from decade to decade at UNT like so many other schools who don't have attendance problems seem to do.  Not having enough natural rivals to build onto at the turnstiles has been part of the problem, too. 

Maybe Wren Baker can change the OldDenton culture because I'm not sure how much longer we can count on advancing with so many changes in the NCAA that DOES NOT favor the G5 group of schools; that is, if advancement is even part of our goal and objectives in Mean Green Country or............... do we just remain a college farm system program for schools we used to be in the same conference and all the others who have less resources or the prime location of a  North Texas but who are still (most admirably) upwardly mobile.  

Duly Note:  If the NCAA powers that be will double the national play-off to 8 teams (but even more ideally for us make that 16), then we might just have a chance to get out of this self-induced rut we've put ourselves in the last 40 plus years. 

Think Small--Get Small.  Look at all the schools that didn't have that philosophy we used to be in conferences with?  (Want me to list all those schools because many of us watched most of them go past us during our student & alumnus years.  Lately, I've even had a real concern that UTSA might very well be the next school to (athletically) go Beep! Beep! right past our 100 plus years NCAA football program.

Truly...Hasn't This Really Been Our Problem?  > > > >  Like it or not, we are located in a major league sports market of about 7,000,000 citizens.    

Any of you local DFW & old time sports fans notice how the resuscitation (and even after building a new baseball park) of the old minor league baseball Fort Worth Cats few years ago was a raging----non-success here in our Major League Sports Market?   So it's Major Sports vs Minor Sports.......OldDenton vs NewDenton?  We got ourselves a real conundrum here happening right before our very eyes but one that I think is  solve'able if our present leadership group keep doing what they've been doing & doing some more key tweaking to correct all the negative almost program-killer things from our past.  All this could happen almost as quick at this 2017 Mean Green football season came upon us if we get all of the rest of our key stars in total alignment with support from the fan base.  My bell cow for this football program has always been the 1975 Mean Green football season--I just can't get the good feeling of that football season out of my mind.   It was also the a season of national success that made North Texas & Hayden Fry the talk of the following Winter's NCAA Convention and the main football season  that got Hayden Fry a Big 10 job at Iowa 2 years later.  Note:  We got our first scheduled game with DKR's Texas Longhorns at that convention was the word on the street.  .

There are reasons why about 250,000 UNT alums within 1 to 1.5 hours from Apogee most of whom we  never see on Game Day  & its because they just don't want to support a school which from time to time acts big time, but most always slowly (& too comfortably) gravitates back to a minor league college sports mind-set .   Remember all those hired in the UNT Athletic Department in past years who had their initial excitement about  "our Sleeping Giant" get shot down after the OldTimers of OldDenton gotta' a-hold of them to tell them......"well now you just need to tap the brakes on all that a whole bunch, Bud."  

Well, at least from time to time we have been thrown a bone (or a tease) with a winning season every once in a blue moon.  Most of us hope Wren Baker & Seth Littrell will stick around a few years & take that OldDenton mindset & modus operendi completely off the table forever.  STILL.....we've yet to impress any of that 250,000 DFW area alums. They don't (and have never) bought into OldDenton.  Denton business owners we never see at Apogee sure as hell buy into it because of those 50,000 plus college students (counting Texas Womens University) living in or near Denton with all of their (or Daddy's) MasterCard/Visa/Discovery/American Express cards ready to slide or chip away inside all their "have we got a deal for you" proprietorships.  

Whoever came up with this NewDenton thing really saw a dire need for change & it's a good idea some of us old ship barnacles really like--just hope they don't get too discouraged trying to do something, uh, NEW, (but mostly different) for a change.

GMG!

PS:  Notice no calling anyone out or name-calling from this keyboard on this mini-manifesto?   

So come one now ....gimmee' 3 steps and some RED!  Red it is a favorite color of mine.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 4
  • Downvote 6

25 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Exactly. There is really no difference in these bowls in terms of prestige at this point. It's basically the the playoffs, the New Year's Six, and every other bowl. This isn't 2007 where the bowls were more tiered and non-AQ conference teams were trying to work their way up to crash a BCS bowl. 

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, Cr1028 said:

I thought it was an auto-bid for the Belt champ and not chosen by NOLA bowl.

That’s right. There’s a 3 way tie for first and the champ still depends on the outcomes of this weekend.

Also worth noting, App St did not play Troy or Ark St so no head to head tiebreaker if App St beats ULL.

EBD7F5CB-021C-40FA-9D3D-DBA8CCF2F154.png

Edited by brooks91

1 minute ago, SilverEagle said:

I'm sorry, but NOLA, (perception wise), looks like a step backward.  I understand rewarding the team, and the fans, with a fun bowl experience. But that fun experience only translated into one win out of four trips to the bowl. This team has worked too hard, and the Athletic Department staff has worked too hard, to risk another loss at a lower tiered bowl. If there is any way possible, the Indy bowl would be much more ideal.

1000% agreed 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1