Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

I think part of the disdain is that if we were to be CUSA champions, we would be playing in the exact same bowl game we did as Sun Belt champions. I think the feeling is, where is the step up? Still, I’m excited about my first trip to New Orleans. I’m thinking of staying in Lafayette and driving to NO for the day of the game. I really liked staying in Lafayette the last time I was there and it’s a cheaper hotel closer to home.

6 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Since you seem pretty experienced on so many facts and how the game in ABQ will propel the North Texas brand, I probably don't have to tell you that the MWC champ is going to Las Vegas Bowl and runner up to Hawaii.  Currently, the MWC team that is slated to play in ABQ is the MWC #4/#5 Colorado State Rams.  They are currently slated to play the #7/#8/#9/#10 CUSA team, Western Kentucky. 

You, and others, are suggesting that we bump our last place team for an opportunity to take their place in a bowl that teams clearly seem to not want to play in?

I would much rather play Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl. The New Orleans Bowl is Old Denton. I'm sure the Belt team that lands there will be a good team, but if we wanted to watch our team play Sun Belt teams we could have just stayed in the Sun Belt.

Again, I won't spend good money ($1,200-$1,500, maybe more) to travel to New Orleans and watch that bowl. Accepting that bowl will be a mistake. Our leadership needs to do better.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4

2 minutes ago, Side Show Joe said:

I would much rather play Colorado State in the New Mexico Bowl. The New Orleans Bowl is Old Denton. I'm sure the Belt team that lands there will be a good team, but if we wanted to watch our team play Sun Belt teams we could have just stayed in the Sun Belt.

Again, I won't spend good money ($1,200-$1,500, maybe more) to travel to New Orleans and watch that bowl. Accepting that bowl will be a mistake. Our leadership needs to do better.

That's too bad.  Seems like an Old Denton attitude to me.  Scared of our own shadow.  I am still hoping we win today and end up somewhere else against a P5 team, but if the choice comes down to playing a conference champ vs a middling #4/#5 from the MWC in crappy ABQ then I would choose the chance to play a conference champ, in a destination city, in an NFL stadium, even if it is from our old conference.  I guess to each his own.  I ain't skeered.

Beat FAU!!  Bring on TTech or FSU.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, TreeFiddy said:

That's too bad.  Seems like an Old Denton attitude to me.  Scared of our own shadow.  I am still hoping we win today and end up somewhere else against a P5 team, but if the choice comes down to playing a conference champ vs a middling #4/#5 from the MWC in crappy ABQ then I would choose the chance to play a conference champ, in a destination city, in an NFL stadium, even if it is from our old conference.  I guess to each his own.  I ain't skeered.

Beat FAU!!  Bring on TTech or FSU.

Very simple Troy or Arkansas State < MWC that is 0.500 or better.  Doesn’t look like it will matter though.  It looks like we will be thoroughly dominated today so far. PR momentum from this year reduced to zero. Everyone who only passively follows North Texas will say “same ole North Texas”.  I did not expect us to win but I didn’t expect to make FAU look like a P5 team.

8 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Very simple Troy or Arkansas State < MWC that is 0.500 or better.  Doesn’t look like it will matter though.  It looks like we will be thoroughly dominated today so far. PR momentum from this year reduced to zero. Everyone who only passively follows North Texas will say “same ole North Texas”.  I did not expect us to win but I didn’t expect to make FAU look like a P5 team.

= Old Denton

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

I think everyone is misunderstanding my point.  Playing and competing well with good ang more highly regarded program  opponent is better than beating a team that people still mistake for a FCS team. That is just the fact.  UNT still has negative perception carried over from when NTSU dropped down to FCS (I-AA).  I am not suggesting that people shouldn’t go to our bowl game against a Sun Belt opponent.  But for people who can afford the trip (I am not one of those people) I am sure it is slightly  discouraging.  They probably have seen Sun Belt teams in person for years in Denton and on the road.  I will always support this university, financially and otherwise.  But supporting doesn’t mean withholding criticism of some of their decisions. With the beat down yesterday and a fan base historically does not travel well after disappointment, selecting the best Bowl game to help our program’s positive visibility becomes more complicated.  But I don’t like the give up or the “enjoyable trip is more important” point of view.

• Upvote 1

23 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

I gotta ask....

Who the hell is Bert McMurprhries?

Long time sports reporter. Once worked for CBS then moved over to ESPN until he got laid off about a year or so ago.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

UNT still has negative perception carried over from when NTSU dropped down to FCS (I-AA).  

No it doesn’t.  Most of the players parents weren’t even alive when UNT dropped down to the Southland.  

An incoming freshman was five years old the last time UNT played in the New Orleans Bowl.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, MattMakesLoans said:

No it doesn’t.  Most of the players parents weren’t even alive when UNT dropped down to the Southland.  

An incoming freshman was five years old the last time UNT played in the New Orleans Bowl.

Yep.  The negative perception comes from the absolutely suck coming from our athletics teams.  You change that consistently the perception all of a sudden will increase.  

9 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

We ain’t recruiting what FAU recruits...for several reasons.

I keep seeing this comment and I think it's just a bs excuse. Can you please provide an example of dirty recruiting or is it just hearsay? The main player that comes to mind is Deandre Johnson, the QB from Last Chance U. He's had very little playing time this year due to medical issues so he's all but a non-factor. I think they also have a DE from there but don't think he is starting either.

Taking problematic players or "Second-chance" players is common in college football. Our team has had run ins with the law as well and I don't believe it's indicative of the staff's integrity. Guyton is a player that was dismissed from Notre Dame but how come he hasn't been persecuted? Everything that I've seen of him shows he's a great guy, great player, but probably made some mistakes as most young adults do.

We got our butt whooped by a better team and that's just that. We did the same thing last year with Frank Wilson. This team had a great year but making all these accusations that any team that beats us is "cheating" is just lame.

1 minute ago, brooks91 said:

I keep seeing this comment and I think it's just a bs excuse. Can you please provide an example of dirty recruiting or is it just hearsay? The main player that comes to mind is Deandre Johnson, the QB from Last Chance U. He's had very little playing time this year due to medical issues so he's all but a non-factor. I think they also have a DE from there but don't think he is starting either.

Taking problematic players or "Second-chance" players is common in college football. Our team has had run ins with the law as well and I don't believe it's indicative of the staff's integrity. Guyton is a player that was dismissed from Notre Dame but how come he hasn't been persecuted? Everything that I've seen of him shows he's a great guy, great player, but probably made some mistakes as most young adults do.

We got our butt whooped by a better team and that's just that. We did the same thing last year with Frank Wilson. This team had a great year but making all these accusations that any team that beats us is "cheating" is just lame.

First off, I have no idea if FAU or UTSA are cheating. What I do know is that both staffs have guys who have NCAA show causes on them. Both recruit kids that have “fallen” to them, which is a P5 risk not deemed worth taking, but some G5’s will. We aren’t one of them. Never have been. If the line is the parking lot, FAU and UTSA will go to the curb with institutional backing. We will stay inside the building, not even coming close to the line. 

Thats all I’m saying. Not to mention that Florida HS kids know how to hit and tackle. Texas Hs kids play glorified flag football these days.

Just now, TreeFiddy said:

So, can't hold a job.

Lots of good people got let go by ESPN. Sorry to hear you hold such a negative opinion of him but he reports good stuff. He was one of the first that I saw break Scott Frost to Nebraska news.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, MattMakesLoans said:

But most parents of recruits were alive before 1995 when we were FCS I-AA.  Plus the program was mediocre at that level.   Also anyone under 30 wasn’t alive when “State” was dropped from the name but I here members of the media in their 30s call us State.  And a New Orleans Bowl victory over a FBS program younger and less well known than ours does little to Change that negative perception.  You need to beat ranked/well known programs and finish consecutive seasons with 9 wins or more to do that.   That tenth win is the most important thing now.  If we lose to a Sun Belt team casual fans willl say “same ole North Texas”.  I don’t like it either but it is true.

Edited by Mike Jackson