Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

24 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

I could be wrong but I think CUSA does have an actual secondary tie in with the independence bowl of one of the other conferences cannot fill its spot. 

Even so, there are some on this thread that post as if they believe we can DEMAND to be in a bowl matchup with a P5. It’s disheartenting to see so little understanding of the situation.

I think people still believe that CUSA is the league it was 10 years ago. It’s not—at all. It’s the teams that could move up from the SBC and WAC that were matched up with teams that couldn’t move up from CUSA to the AAC. It’s still second from the bottom on the FBS totem pole. And when these two leagues finally realize they need to realign geographically, they will look even more alike than they already do.

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, untjim1995 said:

Even so, there are some on this thread that post as if they believe we can DEMAND to be in a bowl matchup with a P5. It’s disheartenting to see so little understanding of the situation.

I think people still believe that CUSA is the league it was 10 years ago. It’s not—at all. It’s the teams that could move up from the SBC and WAC that were matched up with teams that couldn’t move up from CUSA to the AAC. It’s still second from the bottom on the FBS totem pole. And when these two leagues finally realize they need to realign geographically, they will look even more alike than they already do.

But the P5 matchup in Shreveport isn't just a pipe dream. It's an actual tie in. (Contingent)

Edited by Mean Green Matt

1 minute ago, Mean Green Matt said:

But the P5 matchup in Shreveport isn't just a pipe dream. It's an actual tie in. (Contingent)

Fair enough, but some posters act like we are ACTIVELY choosing the NO Bowl versus Troy because we only want that bowl game. If we win tomorrow, I can assure you that we will play in the Indy Bowl against a P5. If we lose, we will play in NO because the tie-ins there are the SBC and CUSA.

4 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Fair enough, but some posters act like we are ACTIVELY choosing the NO Bowl versus Troy because we only want that bowl game. If we win tomorrow, I can assure you that we will play in the Indy Bowl against a P5. If we lose, we will play in NO because the tie-ins there are the SBC and CUSA.

But the problem is that's not true. Per Vito multiple sources are telling him tomorrow doesn't matter:

"At this point, the chatter in college football circles has reached the point where it looks like UNT heading to New Orleans is a done deal no matter what happens tomorrow. Multiple people have indicated that is the case."

1 hour ago, Mean Green Matt said:

But the problem is that's not true. Per Vito multiple sources are telling him tomorrow doesn't matter:

"At this point, the chatter in college football circles has reached the point where it looks like UNT heading to New Orleans is a done deal no matter what happens tomorrow. Multiple people have indicated that is the case."

Well, maybe that’s the Independence Bowl telling CUSA they aren’t inviting us...

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I just need to ask... If we wanted to keep playing the Sun Belt and in New Orleans, why move to CUSA? I understand if we were 6-6 or 7-5, but if we wanted to finish 9-3 with one game left only to play the Sun Belt, why leave the belt? And how disheartening is it to realize that UNT can play in the conference championship game and this still be our ceiling? Other conference teams we beat will play in more reputable bowls against more  reputable opponents than us despite our record. Just kills me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

8 minutes ago, GMG_Dallas said:

I just need to ask... If we wanted to keep playing the Sun Belt and in New Orleans, why move to CUSA? I understand if we were 6-6 or 7-5, but if we wanted to finish 9-3 with one game left only to play the Sun Belt, why leave the belt? And how disheartening is it to realize that UNT can play in the conference championship game and this still be our ceiling? Other conference teams we beat will play in more reputable bowls against more  reputable opponents than us despite our record. Just kills me.

Here is how it works, champion picks from the bowls “that invited them amongst the CUSA tie ins”.  Bowls are not obligated to invite the champion.  2nd Place gets 2nd pick, again from amongst the CUSA bowls that invited them only.  No bowl is obligated to invite them.

So, which of the bowls that invited us do you think we should have picked over N.O.B?

11 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

Here is how it works, champion picks from the bowls “that invited them amongst the CUSA tie ins”.  Bowls are not obligated to invite the champion.  2nd Place gets 2nd pick, again from amongst the CUSA bowls that invited them only.  No bowl is obligated to invite them.

So, which of the bowls that invited us do you think we should have picked over N.O.B?

In the minority because most of you want a fun trip but I would have wanted New Mexico against top 25 Fresno state or SDSU. Would have been a good game with lots of free ESPN coverage. Shootout full of highlights against well regarding g5 teams from a top g5 conference. Instead a team we beat from CUSA will get that great matchup and we'll be brushed aside as playing in one of the bowl games nobody cares about. 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, meangreanmick said:

This is the first time I've seen it characterized like this. If true are we to assume the NOB is likely the only bowl that extended an invite (maybe New Mexico?) What if none of the bowls wants the conference champion?

5 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This is the first time I've seen it characterized like this. If true are we to assume the NOB is likely the only bowl that extended an invite (maybe New Mexico?) What if none of the bowls wants the conference champion?

I’ll post the official explanation when I can,  but I looked it up and that’s what it very clearly said.

good question, I guess its assumed that that would never happen given the disperse bowl locations CUSA has, but that would be an interesting scenario.

28 minutes ago, Eagleisland said:

Well let me see. When we were in the Sun Belt, we played Colorado State, Cincinnati, Memphis, and Southern Miss. They didn't seem to think it was beneath them to play there.

I guarantee you they did. Also, they were probably middling CUSA teams at the time...Not division champs and/or potentially conference champs. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, meangreanmick said:

Again, with all of the shuffling done behind the scenes today & tomorrow, who’s to say a couple more bowls don’t open up for C-USA?   How do you know The preseason C-USA tie-in bowls will be the only ones available?

Thoughts on NO Bowl :

reading between the lines it seems WB has already agreeded in principle IF we were to lose to accept invite..  I’m fine with that.. altough some could argue that’s a loser mentality, I feel it’s more about security.. We are guaranteed a bowl , but if we sat on hopes on just winning today & having our choice we could be stuck in some awful sounding bowl like the  Gasparilla in Florida .. the further we have to travel , the less fans that would be about to make it ..now IF we are to win today , we deserve something better.. a C-USA champion deserves a better bowl , better opponent 

I really don’t mind NO Bowl.. we could do a lot of pros & cons & I could understand both sides with both arguments having valid points..  I personally like it because it’s a winnable game , comes on a weekend & is very  doable trip for a lot of fans. We would have a good crowd for TV. My 1st preference has always been Independence Bowl , but I’ll be cool with another trip to New Orleans   

Edited by @UNTSportsFan
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, @UNTSportsFan said:

Thoughts on NO Bowl :

reading between the lines it seems WB has already agreeded in principle IF we were to lose to accept invite..  I’m fine with that.. altough some could argue that’s a loser mentality, I feel it’s more about security.. We are guaranteed a bowl , but if we sat on hopes on just winning today & having our choice we could be stuck in some awful sounding bowl like the  Gasparilla in Florida .. the further we have to travel , the less fans that would be about to make it ..now IF we are to win today , we deserve something better.. a C-USA champion deserves a better bowl , better opponent 

I really don’t mind NO Bowl.. we could do a lot of pros & cons & I could understand both sides with both arguments having valid points..  I personally like it because it’s a winnable game , comes on a weekend & is very  doable trip for a lot of fans. We would have a good crowd for TV. My 1st preference has always been Independence Bowl , but I’ll be cool with another trip to New Orleans   

Pretty much my thoughts.  After we win today, I am looking for the strongest matchup, hopefully against a P5.  I would expect that a 10-3 CUSA champion from Texas would compel the bowl operators and TV to put together a matchup with another strong team or a regional P5.  

If CUSA and the refs conspire against us, again, then drowning  our sorrows in NOLA is better than several other options based on location, time slot, opponent, etc.

I think all the 'lock' talk is being misinterpreted.  Most people with a pen or a twitter finger have already chalked this game up as a loss for North Texas.

11 hours ago, GMG_Dallas said:

In the minority because most of you want a fun trip but I would have wanted New Mexico against top 25 Fresno state or SDSU. Would have been a good game with lots of free ESPN coverage. Shootout full of highlights against well regarding g5 teams from a top g5 conference. Instead a team we beat from CUSA will get that great matchup and we'll be brushed aside as playing in one of the bowl games nobody cares about. 

Bingo, the New Orleans is not “beneath us” is just doesn’t propel our image forward like games against more highly regarded football programs would G5 or P5.   Facts are Troy before 1990 played Divison II (not division I-AA/FCS).  For me it all about what is going to help the Mean Green’s popularity which in turn can help it be the dominant G5  program in the state of Texas second maybe only to Houston.  We should want our alumni to go anywhere in the country and not have to “introduce” UNT as a university on par with any other large public state university.  UNT is the flagship campus of a university system.  Therefore if we choose to compete on the FBS level everything we do should aspire to reflect that status playing Troy in a Bowl game does not push us forward towards that.  Great trip, nice party and hopefully a win which are never meaningless but so is beating a FCS team for homecoming.  They are alike because both of them only minimally propel your program forward.  We should want more from a bowl game.

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Downvote 1

What I’m not getting is the latest that Brett McMurphy posted last night on his Facebook!(using my phone or I would link it). He says FAU is torn between Gasparilla and the Boca Bowl. Says nothing about them even wanting Indy. Utah has changed course and is going to the Potato Bowl at Boise so they opened up their Heart of Dallas slot that he gave to a MAC team. Two bowls open against P5 schools and the division champions seem to have nothing in them. I get HoD can chose what other conference they want to replace the BIG10 that went to PAC 12 and down to a G5, but seriously, our conference needs to be lobbying for that bowl for the sake of playing in our backyard against Texas Tech. 

Vito is on this train that UNT wants their players and coaches to be able to enjoy Christmas. I’m fine with that, IF that is what THEY really want and nothing else that comes with playing a P5 school.

McMurphy also said FSU to Indy is a think after Jimbo left.

4 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

What I’m not getting is the latest that Brett McMurphy posted last night on his Facebook!(using my phone or I would link it). He says FAU is torn between Gasparilla and the Boca Bowl. Says nothing about them even wanting Indy. Utah has changed course and is going to the Potato Bowl at Boise so they opened up their Heart of Dallas slot that he gave to a MAC team. Two bowls open against P5 schools and the division champions seem to have nothing in them. I get HoD can chose what other conference they want to replace the BIG10 that went to PAC 12 and down to a G5, but seriously, our conference needs to be lobbying for that bowl for the sake of playing in our backyard against Texas Tech. 

Vito is on this train that UNT wants their players and coaches to be able to enjoy Christmas. I’m fine with that, IF that is what THEY really want and nothing else that comes with playing a P5 school.

McMurphy also said FSU to Indy is a think after Jimbo left.

So, he is saying that things are still very fluid.  Hmmm.

• Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

It is not bitching but acting like playing Troy is the same as playing a MWC team or having a game on in primetime is the same.  No offense to anyone’s wives but going to a New Orleans Bowl is not going to get them in Apogee next year.  We left the Sun Belt for a reason now you want to sell us playing them in a Bowl is cool?  Sorry that is just stupid and if they are actually choosing this game over a game against a more well know opponent closer to Christmas and New Year’s Day it is stupid, for 2 major reasons.  1. Fewer post finals practices 2. Beating the Sun Belt is something we ‘should’ so program doesn’t get a profile bump by winning.  If were guaranteed to be CUSA champions then it wouldn’t matter.  I am all about anything that will make more local college football fans and recruits take notice.  Beating Troy or any other Sun Belt team won’t do that.  Of the list presented earlier of potential CUSA bowl match ups, several of them are better that the New Orleans Bowl.  

This is bitching about the bowl game. Most of the dissenting posts is bitching about the bowl game. 

• Downvote 1

Who says Indy is even interested in FAU? You have seen their attendence at home.

Truth is LaTech and USM will bring a lot more fans than FAU. They would bring more fans than us most likely.  

If USM or LaTech end up the Indy is very likely is because we didn't get the invite.  They will sell more tickets.

41 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Bingo, the New Orleans is not “beneath us” is just doesn’t propel our image forward like games against more highly regarded football programs would G5 or P5.   Facts are Troy before 1990 played Divison II (not division I-AA/FCS).  For me it all about what is going to help the Mean Green’s popularity which in turn can help it be the dominant G5  program in the state of Texas second maybe only to Houston.  We should want our alumni to go anywhere in the country and not have to “introduce” UNT as a university on par with any other large public state university.  UNT is the flagship campus of a university system.  Therefore if we choose to compete on the FBS level everything we do should aspire to reflect that status playing Troy in a Bowl game does not push us forward towards that.  Great trip, nice party and hopefully a win which are never meaningless but so is beating a FCS team for homecoming.  They are alike because both of them only minimally propel your program forward.  We should want more from a bowl game.

Since you seem pretty experienced on so many facts and how the game in ABQ will propel the North Texas brand, I probably don't have to tell you that the MWC champ is going to Las Vegas Bowl and runner up to Hawaii.  Currently, the MWC team that is slated to play in ABQ is the MWC #4/#5 Colorado State Rams.  They are currently slated to play the #7/#8/#9/#10 CUSA team, Western Kentucky. 

Is the argument that we should bump our last place team for an opportunity to take their place in a bowl that teams clearly seem to not want to play in so we can play MWC #4/#5?

Edited by TreeFiddy