Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

10 hours ago, KRAM1 said:

Did any of you listen to or attend the last Coach Littrell Radio Show? I did, and Wren talked a good bit about a “bowl experience” for the players.  One that is not local, but close enough for our fans in a fun location.  Said no Bowl was out, that there were several factors involved and that UNT is not the only one having a say. He said the opponent is also a factor, but that the player experience is the big thing for this bowl game.

Given CUSA’s bowl tie ins, what bowl does that sound like to you...barring “unforeseen circumstances”?

Me...I booked a hotel room in New Orleans today. Just guessing of course, but can cancel if need be, without cost. We’ll know in a very few short days. 

For me, at this stage of our rebuilding a winning tradition, I prefer a match-up that gives us a very good opportunity for a win to end the season with a possible eleven wins for the first time ever. Winning helps recruiting more than anything else in my opinion of course.

Wake Forest = Troy

NC State = Troy

Meddling P5 team = Troy 

This is not going to be a notch in the belt like this staff thinks. The problem with playing Troy or Arkansas State is that if we win, who cares? It's going to be perceived as a notch in the belt game for either team, us or them. 

IMO, this has more to do with 10 wins. It's the narrative being floated out by the AD. They are obviously concerned about hitting that watermark. And bullshittin player experience is perfect concealment. 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Flights are running about $300 - $350 round trip on Southwest and American to NOLA flying in Friday, flying out Sunday.  

I think it's about  a nine-hour drive each way.  

Life is full of difficult decisions. 

If you are driving, I know from experience the drive back is longer than the drive there.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

11 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

Flights are running about $300 - $350 round trip on Southwest and American to NOLA flying in Friday, flying out Sunday.  

I think it's about  a nine-hour drive each way.  

Life is full of difficult decisions. 

$350 vs 18 hours of driving?  No brainer.  Sell blood if you have to.  

Double Bonus: With less blood you'll have to spend less on drinking.  

1 minute ago, oldguystudent said:

Do they have Schlitz in NOLA? 

I mean "technically" no one has it anywhere, since it's "technically" not fit for human consumption. 

It's like those fish antibiotics that are the exact same antibiotics people need a prescription to get.   They just sell you the Schlitz, as an engine coolant or whatever they pretend it is, and then if you decide to drink it... it's really your fault.  

2 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I mean "technically" no one has it anywhere, since it's "technically" not fit for human consumption. 

It's like those fish antibiotics that are the exact same antibiotics people need a prescription to get.   They just sell you the Schlitz, as an engine coolant or whatever they pretend it is, and then if you decide to drink it... it's really your fault.  

I have learned something today.  

7 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yeah, cause Army and Troy have the same national perception.

Well, as it turns out if you believe this study are you are quite correct

https://graphics.wsj.com/table/COUNT_09212017

Brand Value of College Football Programs:

73. Army

74. SMU

79. Fresno State

80. North Texas

102. Troy

104. FAU

110. La Tech

15 minutes ago, Rudy said:

Yeah, cause Army and Troy have the same national perception.

Bowl game appearances for North Texas are the exception. If we begin to make it a regular "thing", then it's an indicator of the direction that the program is moving. Folks aren't going to jump off the bandwagon after one loss in a 9-10 win season.

Obviously winning is better than losing, but there's too much momentum for us that a loss would be a blip (a sad one) on the season.

We are going to consecutive bowls. That's rare air.

It is not bitching but acting like playing Troy is the same as playing a MWC team or having a game on in primetime is the same.  No offense to anyone’s wives but going to a New Orleans Bowl is not going to get them in Apogee next year.  We left the Sun Belt for a reason now you want to sell us playing them in a Bowl is cool?  Sorry that is just stupid and if they are actually choosing this game over a game against a more well know opponent closer to Christmas and New Year’s Day it is stupid, for 2 major reasons.  1. Fewer post finals practices 2. Beating the Sun Belt is something we ‘should’ so program doesn’t get a profile bump by winning.  If were guaranteed to be CUSA champions then it wouldn’t matter.  I am all about anything that will make more local college football fans and recruits take notice.  Beating Troy or any other Sun Belt team won’t do that.  Of the list presented earlier of potential CUSA bowl match ups, several of them are better that the New Orleans Bowl.  

Edited by Mike Jackson
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Mike Jackson said:

It is not bitching but acting like playing Troy is the same as playing a MWC team or having a game on in primetime is the same.  No offense to anyone’s wives but going to a New Orleans Bowl is not going to get them in Apogee next year.  We left the Sun Belt for a reason now you want to sell us playing them in a Bowl is cool?  Sorry that is just stupid and if they are actually choosing this game over a game against a more well know opponent closer to Christmas and New Year’s Day it is stupid, for 2 major reasons.  1. Fewer post finals practices 2. Beating the Sun Belt is something we ‘should’ so program doesn’t get a profile bump by winning.  If were guaranteed to be CUSA champions then it wouldn’t matter.  I am all about anything that will make more local college football fans and recruits take notice.  Beating Troy or any other Sun Belt team won’t do that.  Of the list presented earlier of potential CUSA bowl match ups, several of them are better that the New Orleans Bowl.  I’m sure the Hawaii Bowl would be more awesome for players than New Orleans.

I’m confused...What makes you think they are choosing this scenario over the one you prefer? Nothing—and I mean nothing—suggests they are choosing the NO Bowl against Troy over a bow game versus a P5 opponent. Our conference doesn’t have those bowl ties, so we don’t get to just magically make one happen.

20 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:
17 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

I’m confused...What makes you think they are choosing this scenario over the one you prefer? Nothing—and I mean nothing—suggests they are choosing the NO Bowl against Troy over a bow game versus a P5 opponent. Our conference doesn’t have those bowl ties, so we don’t get to just magically make one happen.

Exactly! If we have a chance to play a P5 team someplace, that would be better. But if we don't the New Orleans bowl is a great second prize!

Edited by VideoEagle
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

18 hours ago, Got5onIt said:

My wife could give 2 shits about NT football. I figure most wives outside of GMG are like mine...

Thank you for making my point.  The average person could give 2 shits about the difference between which G5 opponent we are playing IMO.  The only thing they recognize is P5 names.  My primary point is, if we are talking about playing a fellow G5 team, I think we will have more fans travel to New Orleans than Albuquerque.

• Upvote 3

Recruiter: We won our bowl game in New Orleans

Recruit: Who'd you play??

Recruiter: Troy

Recruit: who? 

This kind of game can't help us one bit. This is if we win... imagine if we lose. Terrible bowl opponent. regardless of record, I'd rather play Kansas or Baylor or some other crap P5 team. Reputation means something and the kids around don't think of troy at all. Hell, I don't think about them or any sun belt team for that matter.  

Edited by p_phelps
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

22 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

22 minutes ago, VideoEagle said:

Exactly! If we have a chance to play a P5 team someplace, that would be better. But if we don't the New Orleans bowl is a great second prize!

I don't consider the New Orleans Bowl "second prize" in the list of CUSA Bowl tie-ins first of all.  Second of all, the Sun Belt has the reputation as being on average the worst G5 conference (by perception).  North Texas's biggest problem since the program returned to FBS level play has been perception.  Assuming we are not CUSA Champions beating Troy means nothing.  (Not all these teams are available this year I am just listing them example).  Beating San Diego State, Hawaii, Boise State, Memphis, Houston, USF, or UCF in a bowl game raises our profile.  Yes, I understand it is minimal but minimal is greater than zero.  Perception wise for recruits when it comes purely to football we should be a better program than any Sun Belt program.  I would love for coaches to be able to tell recruits the schools I listed that we beat one of them in a bowl.  We should be aspiring to get on this list https://247sports.com/Article/What-are-the-best-Group-of-5-jobs-in-football--51407646  Beating Troy (especially in a Bowl game) doesn't help you get there unless they are undefeated with the schedule they played this year.  

• Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, p_phelps said:

Recruiter: We won our bowl game son in New Orleans

Recruit: Who'd you play??

Recruiter: Troy

Recruit: who? 

This kind of game can't help us one bit. This is if we win... imagine if we lose. Terrible bowl opponent. regardless of record, I'd rather play Kansas or Baylor or some other crap P5 team. Reputation means something and the kids around don't think of troy at all. Hell, I don't think about them or any sun belt team for that matter.  

Exactly and this figurative recruit's reaction is the same reaction I will get next year trying to get alumni who actually like football to a game next year.  Why some people can't see this I will never know.  If were siting here 10-1 as CUSA Champions then going 11-1 for the season would be more important than the opponent maybe.  If any CUSA team that finished below us end up in a Bowl Game scheduled Dec 20th or later against a higher profile opponent  that is very #OldDenton mentality.  This would be something I would expect from RV.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, untjim1995 said:

Conventionally teams from a conference get to choose there bowl game from the tie-ins in order of how they finished the season.  So to me the only Bowl game they should flatly turn down would be the Armed Forces Bowl.  The New Orleans Bowl from the list of Bowl tie-ins would be my next to last choice.  

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/article187357953.html

Frenso State, South Florida, Temple, and Florida State* are listed as possible opponents for CUSA teams here.  If all these matchups happen and we get Troy that is bad and not remotely "second prize" in my opinion.  And if we beat FAU getting Troy is a slap in the face.

• Downvote 1

31 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Conventionally teams from a conference get to choose there bowl game from the tie-ins in order of how they finished the season.  So to me the only Bowl game they should flatly turn down would be the Armed Forces Bowl.  The New Orleans Bowl from the list of Bowl tie-ins would be my next to last choice.  

http://www.sunherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/article187357953.html

Frenso State, South Florida, Temple, and Florida State* are listed as possible opponents for CUSA teams here.  If all these matchups happen and we get Troy that is bad and not remotely "second prize" in my opinion.  And if we beat FAU getting Troy is a slap in the face.

Would like the challenge of USF but would pass on them.. to for someone like Fresno (who is ranked but was a year or two ago), temple No idea how the fan base would react.. FSU would be nice with the whole jumbo leaving thing

1 hour ago, untjim1995 said:

I could be wrong but I think CUSA does have an actual secondary tie in with the independence bowl of one of the other conferences cannot fill its spot.