Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

are there decent hotels around the stadium? I know you don't want to wonder out of bourbon street.

You'd be wrong. There is so much more to that great town than one street of shitty, albeit with this group, fun bars

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I was asking where a decent hotel was close to the stadium.  I am to old for the bar scene.  Have not been to NO since 1980's.  

Yes, quite a few. And there are many great restaurants. The National WWII Museum is worth half a day. Ride the street cars through the Garden District, but don't forget to get off and try yet another restaurant. Check out the ghost tours, plantation tours, etc. And if you like music, you're in heaven! Lots and lots of things besides the bars. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, MeanGreen_ATX said:

5a20474f2cc57_ScreenShot2017-11-30at11_58_43AM.png.a9c1dbd7dbe189a03ba55943143c1f27.png

A composite list from yesterday's Star-Telegram. Never thought I would say this, but that New Mexico Bowl matchup vs. SDSU isn't looking too bad after all!

#mandybowl

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I was asking where a decent hotel was close to the stadium.  I am to old for the bar scene.  Have not been to NO since 1980's.  

The Business District is closer to the Superdome than the French Quarter, and the hotels in the Business District are a little cheaper, bang-for-buck-wise.  If you go over in to the Garden District, you're likely going to be paying a little more, but that scene may be more your speed.   

But pretty much any hotel in the crescent is a fairly-close walk to the St. Charles Trolley Line that puts you only a couple of blocks away from the Superdome.  You can't really go wrong anywhere.

3 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Look at an even bigger upset - Boise beating OU in the 2007 Fiesta Bowl. The headlines in newspapers and ESPN wasn't about how great Boise was - the headlines were how OU stumbled to such an obviously inferior opponent. If you talked to the fans of Power conference football at the time, it was all about how OU was disappointed to miss the National Championship game and that was why they lost. Only the people who followed non-power teams, which is only about 15% of the football fans, thought Boise did something great. To the other 85%, it was a fluke. Boise had to win more over multiple years to gain some national respect and the STILL didn't get enough respect to get into a Power Conference. 

Now, if we do get a chance to play a 6-6 Big XII team and win, that's great. But it will always be noted by the Big XII schools and the national press it was against a weak team in a down year. 

To add to this, I was the moderator for the college football news forums when this game happen and my all time favorite quote on the National Board as Boise Fans were trying to state their case.  "How can it be the greatest game ever if Oklahoma didn't win."

That thought sums up 90% of the college football fans out there.  They want their team to win, and they want heavyweight punch outs for the championship.  This attitude is why all G5 bowls are all interchangeable.  

Edited by shaft
Grammar
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

9 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

We should have faced a Big10 team at that HOD party in 2013. Instead, we got UNLV and their 250 fans. The next year, LaTech low and behold got their Big10 team in Illinois and won going away. Since has rattled off 3 or 4 top 5 CUSA recruiting classes and winning seasons. Proof to who you play may trump who you beat. 

So you are saying La Tech besting Illinois in HOD bowl was a game changer?  First of all, there have only been 2 signing days since then, so they haven’t had “3-4” top 5 CUSA recruiting classes in a row because of that win.  

And where are they because of those great recruiting classes?  Right around .500?

You might want to mention also they were also having those great recruiting classes for years leading up to that HOD win over Illinois,  so pretty hard to prove a cause and affect of that one win.  Nobody at Unt would trade places with them right now.  

• Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

Did any of you listen to or attend the last Coach Littrell Radio Show? I did, and Wren talked a good bit about a “bowl experience” for the players.  One that is not local, but close enough for our fans in a fun location.  Said no Bowl was out, that there were several factors involved and that UNT is not the only one having a say. He said the opponent is also a factor, but that the player experience is the big thing for this bowl game.

Given CUSA’s bowl tie ins, what bowl does that sound like to you...barring “unforeseen circumstances”?

Me...I booked a hotel room in New Orleans today. Just guessing of course, but can cancel if need be, without cost. We’ll know in a very few short days. 

For me, at this stage of our rebuilding a winning tradition, I prefer a match-up that gives us a very good opportunity for a win to end the season with a possible eleven wins for the first time ever. Winning helps recruiting more than anything else in my opinion of course.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 5

N

8 hours ago, TreeFiddy said:

You are looking at it from the wrong point of view.  If the game isn't against a P5 program, forget about the opponent.  Very #oldnewdenton.  #oldnewdenton would rather play in the metroplex against a G5 so they don't have to travel.  Very #oldnewdenton.  My mom is #oldnewdenton.

#oldnewdenton

So essentially going out of town to watch North Texas play an opponent Wren Baker could get to come to Denton anytime?  I am all for the players having a good time.  But I doubt they would be particularly excited about playing Troy.  Not all G5 programs are equal.  If all G5 are equal why did we celebrate getting into CUSA?   Why do we debate about moving to the MWC if given an opportunity?  We need to play a program that is well known and Troy is not that.  People aren’t making trips to see a Troy vs North Texas they are going to party in the French Quarter a game against Troy is secondary in the experience for most I would assume.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Where is the negative impact going to be felt? Are we going to lose a potential recruit because we lost a bowl game? Probably not. I dont think loosing this game is going to hurt the recruiting effort down the stretch. It wouldnt matter if we lost to FSU or Troy. The impact of a bowl game loss will be minimal. 

@BillySee58 or @TheReal_jayD can tell me if Im wrong. 

Not sure how you feel the program is settling.

Losing to one is P5, losing to the other that is in a worst conference just zaps all the fan hope from the season.. 

We should want to be team “bigger” school does not want to potentially lose to a “smaller” school like UNT 

Edited by BTG_Fan1

38 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Losing to one is P5, losing to the other that is in a worst conference just zaps all the fan hope from the season.. 

We should want to be team “bigger” school does not want to potentially lose to a “smaller” school like UNT 

So if we go lose to a better Troy team then there is no hope for next season? The loss would mean multiple decommits? Basically we are back to 1-11?

I don’t care who we play or where. I’m all for rewarding the players on a good season. Some of y’all read to much into this shit. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

So if we go lose to a better Troy team then there is no hope for next season? The loss would mean multiple decommits? Basically we are back to 1-11?

I don’t care who we play or where. I’m all for rewarding the players on a good season. Some of y’all read to much into this shit. 

A loss to any SBC team could potentially kill any momentum we've built up.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

29 minutes ago, Mean_Green09 said:

Losing to an SBC kills all momentum going into the offseason.. 

Tech or KSU are great because they are bigger programs and regional programs we go up against and schools we would like to compete with for recruits instead of ArkState..

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

N

So essentially going out of town to watch North Texas play an opponent Wren Baker could get to come to Denton anytime?  I am all for the players having a good time.  But I doubt they would be particularly excited about playing Troy.  Not all G5 programs are equal.  If all G5 are equal why did we celebrate getting into CUSA?   Why do we debate about moving to the MWC if given an opportunity?  We need to play a program that is well known and Troy is not that.  People aren’t making trips to see a Troy vs North Texas they are going to party in the French Quarter a game against Troy is secondary in the experience for most I would assume.

So, here is the conversation I had at home today:

Me:  It looks like North Texas may end up playing in a bowl game in a couple of weeks.

Wife:  Who are they playing?

Me:  Not sure yet, maybe a team called Troy or maybe Arkansas State.

Wife:  Oh...pause...  Where?

Me:  New Orleans, you interested in going?

Wife:  Absolutely, I have been looking for a reason to get back to New Orleans for a weekend.  It sounds like fun.  The kids would love it also.

Me:  It's no guarantee they are going to New Orleans.  There are other teams they might play.

Wife:  Like who?

Me:  There is a decent chance they might play someone from the Mountain West.  SDSU, Fresno, Colorado State.

Me:  Albuquerque

Wife:  Ugh.  Count me out.  I have no interest taking a trip a couple of weeks before Christmas to go to Albuquerque.  No thanks.

I kid you not.  This was the conversation.  I can't imagine that I am alone.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

N

So let me get this straight. Everyone on this board knows more about momentum and recruiting than any administrator or coach in the athletic department. Geez, why don't we save a lot of money and eliminate those guys positions and let you all run it. CUSA isn't in control of bowl opportunities and North Texas damn sure isn't. Do you guys really think a Power 5 opponent wants to come play a hot North Texas team in a location close to DFW? Seriously? You think the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, SEC commissioners are gonna be like, yeah we want that matchup. Or how about before you go scorched earth on the best department and football team leadership we've ever had you actually look at who CUSA usually draws in bowl games. Last year it was Army, Navy, New Mexico, Louisiana-Lafayette, Memphis, Eastern Michigan and Hawaii. Some of you guys are beyond ridiculous with this stuff. The longest post of the year is 2/3s of people bitching about our coach and AD wanted to give the kids a good experience after one of the 5 best seasons we've ever had. And making assumptions that said experience means turning down match-ups with Power 5 programs in our backyard. Even though there is literally ZERO evidence than any such matchup opportunities exist. And if they did, people at the radio show said Wren said they would want to look at a match-up like that if there was an opportunity. Geez, be better.

2016-17 C-USA BOWL SCHEDULE

GILDAN NEW MEXICO BOWL (Albuquerque, New Mexico)

Saturday, December 17

UTSA vs. New Mexico (ESPN)                                                       1 p.m. CST

R+L CARRIERS NEW ORLEANS BOWL (New Orleans, Louisiana)

Saturday, December 17

Southern Miss vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (ESPN)                               8 p.m. CST

BOCA RATON BOWL (Boca Raton, Florida)

Tuesday, December 20

WKU vs. Memphis (ESPN)                                                              6 p.m. CST

POPEYES BAHAMAS BOWL (Nassau, Bahamas)

Friday, December 23

Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan (ESPN)                                 12 p.m. CST

LOCKHEED MARTIN ARMED FORCES BOWL (Fort Worth, Texas)

Friday, December 23

Louisiana Tech vs. Navy (ESPN)                                                3:30 p.m. CST

HAWAI’I BOWL (Honolulu, Hawai’i)

Saturday, December 24

Middle Tennessee vs. Hawai’i (ESPN)                                            7 p.m. CST

ZAXBY’S HEART OF DALLAS BOWL (Dallas, Texas)

Tuesday, December 27

North Texas vs. Army (ESPN)                                                       11 a.m. CST

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

So let me get this straight. Everyone on this board knows more about momentum and recruiting than any administrator or coach in the athletic department. Geez, why don't we save a lot of money and eliminate those guys positions and let you all run it. CUSA isn't in control of bowl opportunities and North Texas damn sure isn't. Do you guys really think a Power 5 opponent wants to come play a hot North Texas team in a location close to DFW? Seriously? You think the ACC, Big 12, Big 10, SEC commissioners are gonna be like, yeah we want that matchup. Or how about before you go scorched earth on the best department and football team leadership we've ever had you actually look at who CUSA usually draws in bowl games. Last year it was Army, Navy, New Mexico, Louisiana-Lafayette, Memphis, Eastern Michigan and Hawaii. Some of you guys are beyond ridiculous with this stuff. The longest post of the year is 2/3s of people bitching about our coach and AD wanted to give the kids a good experience after one of the 5 best seasons we've ever had. And making assumptions that said experience means turning down match-ups with Power 5 programs in our backyard. Even though there is literally ZERO evidence than any such matchup opportunities exist. And if they did, people at the radio show said Wren said they would want to look at a match-up like that if there was an opportunity. Geez, be better.

Saturday, December 17

UTSA vs. New Mexico (ESPN)                                                       1 p.m. CST

Saturday, December 17

Southern Miss vs. Louisiana-Lafayette (ESPN)                               8 p.m. CST

Tuesday, December 20

WKU vs. Memphis (ESPN)                                                              6 p.m. CST

Friday, December 23

Old Dominion vs. Eastern Michigan (ESPN)                                 12 p.m. CST

Friday, December 23

Louisiana Tech vs. Navy (ESPN)                                                3:30 p.m. CST

Saturday, December 24

Middle Tennessee vs. Hawai’i (ESPN)                                            7 p.m. CST

Tuesday, December 27

North Texas vs. Army (ESPN)                                                       11 a.m. CST

Facts are hard...

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, meangreenJW said:

Saturday, December 17

Saturday, December 17

Tuesday, December 20

Friday, December 23

Friday, December 23

Saturday, December 24

Tuesday, December 27

If you go back 2 more years, here are the other opponents.

Utah St, Northern Illinois, Central Michigan, Fresno State, Illinois

Arkansas State, South Florida, Western Michigan, Washington Huskies, UConn

So 2 out of 17 opponents were power 5. Those opponents? Washington and Illinois.

22 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

So, here is the conversation I had at home today:

Me:  It looks like North Texas may end up playing in a bowl game in a couple of weeks.

Wife:  Who are they playing?

Me:  Not sure yet, maybe a team called Troy or maybe Arkansas State.

Me:  New Orleans, you interested in going?

Wife:  Absolutely, I have been looking for a reason to get back to New Orleans for a weekend.  It sounds like fun.  The kids would love it also.

Me:  It's no guarantee they are going to New Orleans.  There are other teams they might play.

Wife:  Like who?

Me:  There is a decent chance they might play someone from the Mountain West.  SDSU, Fresno, Colorado State.

Me:  Albuquerque

Wife:  Ugh.  Count me out.  I have no interest taking a trip a couple of weeks before Christmas to go to Albuquerque.  No thanks.

I kid you not.  This was the conversation.  I can't imagine that I am alone.

My wife could give 2 shits about NT football. I figure most wives outside of GMG are like mine...