Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

5 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Yes, yes, and yes. Don’t think twice about it either. The bowl schedule has always been about timing. Playing in the very first bowl on Dec 16 sends a very clear message. When UNT’s season ends before UAB, Marshall, Southern Miss, WKU, FIU, and possibly freaking UTSA?? Yeah, that sucks. 

You are about my age, I think.

It's time we consider that the bowl system is perceived very differently from the early 2000s.  It is becoming less and less about what time of year you play, and really more about whether or not you make the playoffs.

Everyone outside those top picks is just, well, everyone else.  Once you get past this, I think it's easy to see why a NO Bowl win and trip would be much, much better than anything happening in Frisco or New Mexico.

1 minute ago, greenminer said:

This thread is UT entitlement 101.

Sort of. But it's not financially worth it. Don't mean I won't do it, it's just the price value of going to watch us play in a 1/3 full stadium at best vs Arkansas State/Troy isn't worth 1K+ in value. 

Edited by Ben Gooding

4 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

So we’ve made no improvements over the past decade?

#newdenton indeed LMAO

I’ll be at Day for Night in houston instead, thanks.

I hear am I to think that i we all supported the Mean Green.  If i was going to watch another team play, I'd buy tickets for the Cotton Bowl, or even better yet one of the playoff games.

• Upvote 1

Just now, GreenN'walinsVet said:

we also won a conference championship in 2002.  Should we complain that we have to travel to Boca this weekend to try and win another one?

Yes. CUSA champ game should have a written in contract that the most centralized CUSA program of the 2 teams will host the CUSA championship game. 

1 hour ago, Mike Jackson said:

Playing a Sun Belt team “looking at the bright side” is very Old Denton.  This is an extra regular season game that if they were scheduled to come to Apogee would not bump attendance in any way unless it was mid season with both of us having 1 loss or less.  Just ask a casual CFB fan not connected to CUSA or North Texas.  Offer them a free ticket to a hypothetical game in Apogee against Troy next year and see what they say.  This game is NOT going to bring any casuals.  Worse yet it fosters more of the Frat Hill game party mentality cause I bet you more than a few will make the Bowl trip to New Orleans and not even watch the game.  I am sick of that mentality and all the old heads trying to look on the bright side of this.  And this recruiting against Troy really?  Unless they are interested in getting away from Texas or they have other factors which are purely geographical we should not be losing recriuts to Troy, Arkansas St or any of  the out of state Sun Belt programs.  A few outliers like a particular academic program or just wanting to be at a smaller school could be factors but should be generally rare occurrences.  It very simple if you wouldn’t be excited to see an opponent in Apogee in the regular season stop trying to sell seeing them in whatever bowl you can come up with.

I kinda agree...

But with a similar senario, would a weak P5 bump attendance at Apogee  like Wake, Purdue, Vandy?  Would beating them have any impact?

Unless we are talking about a P5 that is recognized in Texas like a KState or TX tech, it still wont make a difference if we are talking about perception and quality of the win.