Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

Man, we're on the verge of 10 wins for the first time in like 40 years and about to play for the C-USA championship, BUT STILL have the usual suspects bitching and complaining that the season will be a waste if we play in the New Orleans Bowl. 

It'd be sad if it wasn't so predictable...

Edited by UNTcrazy727
  • Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GreenN'walinsVet said:

So of the Bowls we KNOW we have a chance to attend:  Bahamas (Already Gone), New Mexico, New Orleans, Armed Forces (Vs. Army), St. Petersburg, or Boca (would make 3 trips there this year), which bowl game do the NO to N.O. crowd prefer?

Independence Bowl. Thee WILL be a CUSA team in that bowl game. That team should be us. 

Just now, UNTcrazy727 said:

Man, we're on the verge of 10 wins for the first time in like 40 years and about to play for the C-USA championship, BUT STILL have the usual suspects bitching and complaining. that the season will be a waste if we play in the New Orleans Bowl. 

It'd be sad if it wasn't so predictable...

If we win it's not a waste. If we lose, what is it? Probable 9-5 bowl game losers to the SunBelt. It's not bitching, it's the reality of the situation whether you want to look at it or not. 

• Downvote 1

Just now, Ben Gooding said:

Independence Bowl. Thee WILL be a CUSA team in that bowl game. That team should be us. 

Right now, we DON'T know that there will be a CUSA team in that bowl.  It is a SEC vs ACC bowl, and both conferences have the teams to fill the bowl, unless the SEC places two teams into the Playoff, or a deal is made to move a P5 team elsewhere.  

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Playing a Sun Belt team “looking at the bright side” is very Old Denton.  This is an extra regular season game that if they were scheduled to come to Apogee would not bump attendance in any way unless it was mid season with both of us having 1 loss or less.  Just ask a casual CFB fan not connected to CUSA or North Texas.  Offer them a free ticket to a hypothetical game in Apogee against Troy next year and see what they say.  This game is NOT going to bring any casuals.  Worse yet it fosters more of the Frat Hill game party mentality cause I bet you more than a few will make the Bowl trip to New Orleans and not even watch the game.  I am sick of that mentality and all the old heads trying to look on the bright side of this.  And this recruiting against Troy really?  Unless they are interested in getting away from Texas or they have other factors which are purely geographical we should not be losing recriuts to Troy, Arkansas St or any of  the out of state Sun Belt programs.  A few outliers like a particular academic program or just wanting to be at a smaller school could be factors but should be generally rare occurrences.  It very simple if you wouldn’t be excited to see an opponent in Apogee in the regular season stop trying to sell seeing them in whatever bowl you can come up with.

Thank you.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

It's a must win scenario for us and CUSA if we go to New Orleans. If CUSA as a conference and us as a program want to keep the upward trajectory going we can't waltz into New Orleans as the 1st or 2nd best CUSA team and lose to the top SunBelt program. It opens up the pandora box for SunBelt coaches in recruiting to tell recruits, "See, look, we're just as good and competitive as CUSA." 

raw

• Haha 4

3 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Right now, we DON'T know that there will be a CUSA team in that bowl.  It is a SEC vs ACC bowl, and both conferences have the teams to fill the bowl, unless the SEC places two teams into the Playoff, or a deal is made to move a P5 team elsewhere.  

No, we know. There's something in the works here for sure. Every prognosticator in the country has been swapping a CUSA team vs a P5 opponent in this bowl for the last 4 weeks. I don't think they're doing this for shit and giggles. 

• Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

No, we know. There's something in the works here for sure. Every prognosticator in the country has been swapping a CUSA team vs a P5 opponent in this bowl for the last 4 weeks. I don't think they're doing this for shit and giggles. 

and how many of these prognosticators have has us in the New Orleans Bowl? 

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

And every prognosticator has put us in just about every bowl game that CUSA is aligned with at one point or another. It's just a guess past the CFBP and the New Year's 6.

4 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Just now, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Those same prognosticators had UNT ranked like 110 in FBS. Your point being? 

15 minutes ago, Mike Jackson said:

Playing a Sun Belt team “looking at the bright side” is very Old Denton.  This is an extra regular season game that if they were scheduled to come to Apogee would not bump attendance in any way unless it was mid season with both of us having 1 loss or less.  Just ask a casual CFB fan not connected to CUSA or North Texas.  Offer them a free ticket to a hypothetical game in Apogee against Troy next year and see what they say.  This game is NOT going to bring any casuals.  Worse yet it fosters more of the Frat Hill game party mentality cause I bet you more than a few will make the Bowl trip to New Orleans and not even watch the game.  I am sick of that mentality and all the old heads trying to look on the bright side of this.  And this recruiting against Troy really?  Unless they are interested in getting away from Texas or they have other factors which are purely geographical we should not be losing recriuts to Troy, Arkansas St or any of  the out of state Sun Belt programs.  A few outliers like a particular academic program or just wanting to be at a smaller school could be factors but should be generally rare occurrences.  It very simple if you wouldn’t be excited to see an opponent in Apogee in the regular season stop trying to sell seeing them in whatever bowl you can come up with.

You are looking at it from the wrong point of view.  If the game isn't against a P5 program, forget about the opponent.  Very #oldnewdenton.  #oldnewdenton would rather play in the metroplex against a G5 so they don't have to travel.  Very #oldnewdenton.  My mom is #oldnewdenton.

10 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

BOOMshockalocka. Well stated. 

#oldnewdenton

6 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

Some did. And it's not about us being in that. It's about the agreeance coming from somewhere that a CUSA team will be playing in that bowl. if there isn't one, then I'll gladly stfu. But if there proves to be one in that game that's going to be downright irritating. Especially if 6-6 LaTech is in it like I suspect. 

5a20474f2cc57_ScreenShot2017-11-30at11_58_43AM.png.a9c1dbd7dbe189a03ba55943143c1f27.png

A composite list from yesterday's Star-Telegram. Never thought I would say this, but that New Mexico Bowl matchup vs. SDSU isn't looking too bad after all!

New Orleans wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd like to think this team deserves more than a Sunbelt matchup. Nothing about playing Troy/ArkSt. gets me fired up. 

Has nobody considered how difficult it is to make travel plans to NO in two weeks? Or how many of us will be traveling again the following week for the holidays? It's a fun city, no doubt. But it just doesn't work for a number of reasons. I just don't know if I can justify taking off work and spending $1k to go to NO just a week before holiday travel. It's impractical.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

A point of clarification because I think the N.O. Bowl is getting a bad rap.

I LOVE the idea of heading to New Orleans for a bowl game. I think it will be an awesome time for all involved.

I HATE/DESPISE/LOATHE that we will be forced to face the Sun Belt champ in a lose-able game. That would be a disaster.

Edited by Cr1028
  • Upvote 2

I will say, I think that the main reason that I am against the NO bowl is that I think we are likely to not benefit much from it from a financial perspective. I think that our tickets sales will be much lower than they would be for a later game (date wise) closer to home. I know that I will not be able to attend due to other obligations (not that my schedule matters in these things), and I know that I am not alone. I think that the bowl being on the same day as graduation will be more than just a "blip" on the attendance radar. I remember back to the original NO bowl days of yore, and we were excited about the 15k (I believe) that we got to those games. The amount of travel will turn off the casual fans that showed up to the HOD bowls. I am confident that attendance will not be anywhere near those games. I am just not sure that it will be worth it from that perspective. 

Not to mention that we are going to be competing with other games that are on at the same time for TV viewers. I just don't see this bowl as a great builder for the program, but it may be a great trip for the team.

6 minutes ago, meangreenthirteen said:

Has nobody considered how difficult it is to make travel plans to NO in two weeks? Or how many of us will be traveling again the following week for the holidays? It's a fun city, no doubt. But it just doesn't work for a number of reasons. I just don't know if I can justify taking off work and spending $1k to go to NO just a week before holiday travel. It's impractical.

Indeed sir! I would love to go to NOLA and get drunker than Hogans Goat but after doing the research on what it would cost. YIKES!!

Flight: Southwest $1,200 for two

Hotel: $175+ a night

Tickets- I couldnt see what the lower level is but the only tickets i could see are $40 a seat in the 300 section

Drinking for two straight days- $250+

I know Winning a Bowl is Priceless............But is it worth all that to play a Sun Belt Team?

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Some did. And it's not about us being in that. It's about the agreeance coming from somewhere that a CUSA team will be playing in that bowl. if there isn't one, then I'll gladly stfu. But if there proves to be one in that game that's going to be downright irritating. Especially if 6-6 LaTech is in it like I suspect. 

As you might expect, there is a La Tech bias with the Indy' Bowl officials.

One of Fry's teams went down to Ruston & kicked some major Bulldog tail to the tune of 41 to 6.  I can't remember all the particulars but La Tech received and Independence Bowl invite a few weeks later while UNT stayed home for Christmas.    me'thinks that's when Coach Fry started  singing...."my bags are packed I'm ready to go."

• Lovely Take 1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-pMEzfgmG4

Well, New Orleans can be fun for both the team and the fans

12 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

I will say, I think that the main reason that I am against the NO bowl is that I think we are likely to not benefit much from it from a financial perspective. I think that our tickets sales will be much lower than they would be for a later game (date wise) closer to home. I know that I will not be able to attend due to other obligations (not that my schedule matters in these things), and I know that I am not alone. I think that the bowl being on the same day as graduation will be more than just a "blip" on the attendance radar. I remember back to the original NO bowl days of yore, and we were excited about the 15k (I believe) that we got to those games. The amount of travel will turn off the casual fans that showed up to the HOD bowls. I am confident that attendance will not be anywhere near those games. I am just not sure that it will be worth it from that perspective. 

Not to mention that we are going to be competing with other games that are on at the same time for TV viewers. I just don't see this bowl as a great builder for the program, but it may be a great trip for the team.

12 minutes ago, forevereagle said:

17 minutes ago, meangreenthirteen said:

I had to consider that the four times I went.  It has been the first bowl of the season pretty much since inception.   

I would of course prefer to beat FAU, and then beat a P5 in a bowl game.  But if we lose to FAU then the NO Bowl is not a bad second place prize at all.  

2 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

As you might expect, there is a La Tech bias with the Indy' Bowl officials.

One of Fry's teams went down to Ruston & kicked some major Bulldog tail to the tune of 41 to 6.  I can't remember all the particulars but La Tech received and Independence Bowl invite a few weeks later while UNT stayed home for Christmas.    me'thinks that's when Coach Fry started  singing...."my bags are packed I'm ready to go."

To be fare though, that was in 1977 and things work a little different now a days but you might be right and I may be wrong

• Thanks 1