Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

8 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

god, this is so tired.

all of you who want everything right now and think you're part of something revolutionary because of it...it's so insular and myopic. 

change takes time and building something sustainable even more time. college football is littered with programs that win 9-10 games one year and are right back in the dregs a year or two later. look at UCF...Bortles years they're a BCS-buster...a few years later they're winless...now they're undefeated again, their coach is gonna bounce and they'll be back to the dregs. 

I think the point here is....we know what typically happens to G5s....you said it yourself...It's just a given that when Scott Frost leaves UCF they'll be back in the dregs. Why? Because that's what happens to G5s so just go along with it. Be happy you're in a bowl. Go have a kick ass time in New Orleans. After all...there's only one Boise State and TCU will never happen again.

It seems that #newdenton thinking says "screw that....let's put ourselves out there. Hell yes let's be part of something revolutionary. We've taken a back seat for too long." As someone with 2 diplomas from a school I dearly love.....I'm sick of it. 

#olddenton thinking comes with a preconceived notion of UNT because....hey it is UNT after all. Let's not forget our place in this world. Sick of it.

Yeah it takes time. But we broke ground on the Athletic Center more than 10 years ago? That's when we made the commitment in my opinion. And we've been spinning our wheels ever since. We have better facilities than a lot of programs that are in better situations than us. Being satisfied with playing in the first bowl of the season and not expecting to grow and grow fast is tired too...hence the #olddenton. We've had that mindset for years....I thought we were trying to do something different 

So yes...I want it....and I want it now. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

7 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

You seriously think anyone gives an F about playing Fresno?  I'll remind everyone that the New Mexico Bowl is also played on 12/16.

You mean Top 25 ranked Fresno from the Moutain West with Boise State and other strong programs? The elusive winnable game against a top 25 team that we've all been asking for? A win against a conference known to be respectable that we've talked about hopefully joining on this board? I don't care about dates. I care about opponent. Yes, Fresno state would be a good game and possibly a good win. Would be a shootout that would get lots of ESPN coverage by the way. Talk about extra recruiting.

Edited by GMG_Dallas
  • Upvote 1

26 minutes ago, GreenN'walinsVet said:

So im not sure where all this "We have a chance to play TT or UT in the HOD bowl comes from".  CUSA is not a contracted conference to the HOD bowl this year.  PERIOD!!!!   Therefore, Its not likely to happen.  1% chance at best.

This. People are filling their shorts in fear because of an unsubstantiated tweet, with a huge game still to be played. Good lord. Win the damn game, and we can have a better bowl. If we don't, things get more complicated. This is honestly such a good problem to have.

• Upvote 3

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

People down vote Old Denton remarks. That's Old Denton of you all doing this. 

Not sure about that.  You have to keep up.  Things move fast.  You are #oldnewdenton.  We have moved on to #newnewdenton and it is much more hip that you guys stuck in the past.  Please try to keep up.  Your views are so outdated.

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

1 minute ago, meangreenlax said:

This. People are filling their shorts in fear because of an unsubstantiated tweet, with a huge game still to be played. Good lord. Win the damn game, and we can have a better bowl. If we don't, things get more complicated. This is honestly such a good problem to have.

I ran out of upvotes fro the day already, so:
giphy.gif

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Nah. We're complaining about a crumpled up $10 bill.  Close though, I guess. 

Wait..Is this arguing with a moderator? Be merciful. 

No.  I was just making a comment, not talking about proper usage and policy.  You even argued against the argument, and not against me.  All good.  

5 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

Not sure about that.  You have to keep up.  Things move fast.  You are #oldnewdenton.  We have moved on to #newnewdenton and it is much more hip that you guys stuck in the past.  Please try to keep up.  Your views are so outdated.

Oh man, you are still just on #newnewdenton? 

#newnewnewdenton #VVIPForum 

35 minutes ago, Censored by Laurie said:

god, this is so tired.

all of you who want everything right now and think you're part of something revolutionary because of it...it's so insular and myopic. 

change takes time and building something sustainable even more time. college football is littered with programs that win 9-10 games one year and are right back in the dregs a year or two later. look at UCF...Bortles years they're a BCS-buster...a few years later they're winless...now they're undefeated again, their coach is gonna bounce and they'll be back to the dregs. 

I hate to side with Ben, but to be fair, UCF was not playing Sunbelt teams in their BCS buster days. Not sure that it's even comparable. I'd gladly take a UCF type trajectory, but that does not involve playing Troy.

1 hour ago, Ben Gooding said:

Yeah, imagine waving good bye to the bowl location of choice right here in our yard to drive 3 hours to drive right by another bowl location of choice then to drive through a desolate and decimated state for 5 hours to get to the bowl destination of our coaches, er, I mean "players" choice. 

There is absolutely no guarantee that NT is in the running for the HOD or Independence bowl, in fact just the opposite.  Nether is a CUSA Bowl and there is no indication that either is even interested in NT.   The HOD Bowl wants an all P5 game and is supposed to be a B10 vs B8 game and made a swap with the Armed service bowl to make that happen.    The Independence Bowl is scheduled to be the SEC vs ACC.   There are multiple ACC teams available and the SEC may or may not have an eligible team based on who is chosen for the NCAA playoff spots. 

So those places you are waving at probably are places where NT had only a very remote change at.  

I really think a lot of fans against the NO Bowl are doing what they are accusing others of doing.   They accuse the players and AD of wanting NO for a fun trip, while their motivation is a bowl they can easily attend.    It has nothing to do with recruiting, or playing a Belt team or anything else other than they cannot attend or chose not to attend a bowl 540 miles away. 

Personally, I would be fine with some of the dream games against a regional P5 programs, but I would also be happy with the NO Bowl.   By the way, there are flights to NO, if you can't stand that dismal drive.  In fact, because of the high cost of parking in NO and the lack of need for a car; flying may be best way to get there depending on the number traveling. 

Edited by GrandGreen
  • Upvote 1

I just want to go on record as saying I'm not in the weird "WE TURNED DOWN A P5 TO GO TO NEW ORLEANS?!?" camp. I'm not. I know that's a bit of a long shot, getting a P5 matchup in a bowl game, and I'm sure WB would be all over it were it possible. I'm more just anti-New Orleans Bowl and anti-playing the Sun Belt. I don't think there's any benefit and I think Troy in particular is as dangerous as most of the other G5s or middling P5s we could even theoretically face. I don't like playing in the first bowl of bowl season, I don't like playing a team from anyone's last choice conference matchup wise, and I think most importantly I don't like the weird feeling I'm getting from this that wins 7, 8, and 9 didn't really matter.

We could be in NOLA with 6 wins. No non-Sun Belt team with 9 wins has ever played there. And every CUSA team we beat, every CUSA team beneath us in the standings..... well, watching them play better G5 (and god forbid P5) opposition after our season is over is gonna make me kinda crazy. This may all be petty fandom on my part, I guess I just hoped for something different and at least a LITTLE bit off the bottom rung of the bowl/G5 ladder after all those extra wins. 

• Thanks 2

Just now, meangreenthirteen said:

I hate to side with Ben, but to be fair, UCF was not playing Sunbelt teams in their BCS buster days. Not sure that it's even comparable. I'd gladly take a UCF type trajectory, but that does not involve playing Troy.

We're being paired with Troy because we're UNT, plain and simple. And our administration is not bowing up. We erase a decade bowl absence and they give us UNLV. We have good grades athletically and they give us an in-season rematch. We have a quasi breakout year and they give us a Sun Belt team. At some point, our administration has to lobby for us and our conference commish has to be vocal. 

• Downvote 2

23 minutes ago, TreeFiddy said:

I'm a convert to #newdenton & I'm "DJ" hip but for the (fleeing) life of me I may have a hip fixin' to break any minute & make me have a mad dash to the floor.  It's hell getting old, trying to stay relevant & keep from being swept under the carpet.  Some of you will see all this one day.  Enjoy your youth....it will not last forever as I once thought.   DJ? (shameless plug time)........  soundworksdeejay.com

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

2 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

I just want to go on record as saying I'm not in the weird "WE TURNED DOWN A P5 TO GO TO NEW ORLEANS?!?" camp. I'm not. I know that's a bit of a long shot, getting a P5 matchup in a bowl game, and I'm sure WB would be all over it were it possible. I'm more just anti-New Orleans Bowl and anti-playing the Sun Belt. I don't think there's any benefit and I think Troy in particular is as dangerous as most of the other G5s or middling P5s we could even theoretically face. I don't like playing in the first bowl of bowl season, I don't like playing a team from anyone's last choice conference matchup wise, and I think most importantly I don't like the weird feeling I'm getting from this that wins 7, 8, and 9 didn't really matter.

We could be in NOLA with 6 wins. No non-Sun Belt team with 9 wins has ever played there. And every CUSA team we beat, every CUSA team beneath us in the standings..... well, watching them play better G5 (and god forbid P5) opposition after our season is over is gonna make me kinda crazy. This may all be petty fandom on my part, I guess I just hoped for something different and at least a LITTLE bit off the bottom rung of the bowl/G5 ladder after all those extra wins. 

Good post

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Ben Gooding said:

And Brett McMurphy having to reinforce it being a good trip for us kind of solidifies the amount of BS it is...And bigger pile of S if we do end up winning conference. 

IF we beat FAU and IF some other CUSA school plays against a P5 in a bowl game I would be upset.

I am just not sure the above chain of events is likely.