Brett McMurphy says North Texas Lock for NOLA

TheReal_jayD

So 9 (at least) wins and a conference championship game berth gets us the very first bowl on the entire schedule against a Sun Belt team? Wow. Something ain’t right. Somehow, almost every other spare 6 win team in our own conference - all of whom will be playing AFTER our season is over - has a more prestigious matchup. What’s the point? 

Also, the NO Bowl has only had a 9 win team so much as appear twice in its entire history, and that’s NEVER been the team that isn’t from the SBC. Even the freaking SBC hasn’t sent a 9 win team there in eight years. I just remember how excited I was as a student in 2001 when DD’s 5 win team got a bid to NOLA. To think that this team is going to the same bowl, playing in that slot.... that’s a massive gut punch on the whole season. 

Edited by CaribbeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 3
  • Sad 3

50 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Shocked anyone is excited about the New Orleans Bowl. I get that the Dickey years were fun (they were a blast) but don't sell this team short because of nostalgia.  This team deserves better. Wren Baker should be busting down the doors of CUSA and ESPN to get that independence bowl slot against an ACC team. Also, these things are risk reward. If the most important thing about a bowl game is winning well then we ought to play a 6-6 sun belt team every year. The potential upside of beating an ACC team FAR outweighs the risk of a loss. 

Get it done Wren. Settling is Old Denton. 

Strongly disagree. A win vs Arkansas state helps in recruiting way more than a loss or even a win to a 7-5 Wake Forest..... A Bowl win is a bowl wins. When you go in a recruits house and say we we're the 2017 NOLA bowl champs.... No kid would say but you only beat Troy... The team that upset LSU. Should have played an ACC schools. We go up against maybe one acc school a year in Recruiting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

4 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

So 9 (at least) wins and a conference championship game berth gets us the very first bowl on the entire schedule against a Sun Belt team? Wow. Something ain’t right. Somehow, almost every other spare 6 win team in our own conference - all of whom will be playing AFTER our season is over - has a more prestigious matchup. What’s the point? 

More Prestigious?? You would rather play SMU in Frisco? Army in fort Worth? Or go to the glorious NM bowl??? 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 3

1 minute ago, TheReal_jayD said:

More Prestigious?? You would rather play SMU in Frisco? Army in fort Worth? Or go to the glorious NM bowl??? 

Yes, yes, and yes. Don’t think twice about it either. The bowl schedule has always been about timing. Playing in the very first bowl on Dec 16 sends a very clear message. When UNT’s season ends before UAB, Marshall, Southern Miss, WKU, FIU, and possibly freaking UTSA?? Yeah, that sucks. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Downvote 2

5 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

Strongly disagree. A win vs Arkansas state helps in recruiting way more than a loss or even a win to a 7-5 Wake Forest..... A Bowl win is a bowl wins. When you go in a recruits house and say we we're the 2017 NOLA bowl champs.... No kid would say but you only beat Troy... The team that upset LSU. Should have played an ACC schools. We go up against maybe one acc school a year in Recruiting. 

This is about having a pretty solid team and wanting the opportunity for that team to get us maximum national exposure. Beating Florida State in Shreveport is a heck of a lot better than whoever Arkansas State is in New Orleans. If we get sent there against our will, fine. I'm worried NO is what we are requesting. 

• Upvote 4

4 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

This is about having a pretty solid team and wanting the opportunity for that team to get us maximum national exposure. Beating Florida State in Shreveport is a heck of a lot better than whoever Arkansas State is in New Orleans. If we get sent there against our will, fine. I'm worried NO is what we are requesting. 

If they asked the players and they choose NO over streveport that understandable. Some may have never been to NOLA. NOLA > streveport. Fsu wants to stay near Florida fyi.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

23 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

If true, absolute BS. It's pussyfoot shit. It's requesting out of the Army series because it's "too tough" type BS. It's Old Denton. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

29 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Yes, yes, and yes. Don’t think twice about it either. The bowl schedule has always been about timing. Playing in the very first bowl on Dec 16 sends a very clear message. When UNT’s season ends before UAB, Marshall, Southern Miss, WKU, FIU, and possibly freaking UTSA?? Yeah, that sucks. 

Agreed. That first bowl game is always circled as the "start" of bowl season. But EVERYONE knows it's Idaho Tech A&M vs South Dakota Technical School for Asian Farmers. 

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 1

27 minutes ago, TheReal_jayD said:

If they asked the players and they choose NO over streveport that understandable. Some may have never been to NOLA. NOLA > streveport. Fsu wants to stay near Florida fyi.

Ok. Replace FSU with literally any P5 school and the point remains the same. There's no excuse for us choosing New Orleans and knowingly passing on a chance at a P5 school in a city closer for the fans. 

Now, of course that may not be what is happening. And I hope it's not. But I can't see a logical reason for us ultimately ending up in New Orleans other than that. 

• Lovely Take 1

Getting to ten wins will help us in recruiting. It's a milestone number.  If you want to see recruiting take a big jump, get us to ten wins.

If we can beat FAU then we'll probably end up in the Indy bowl playing a P5.  If we don't then we'll have no chance to play a p5.

So if we lose to FAU then I am perfectly fine with going to a great city and getting a tenth win.

If we beat FAU then I want a shot at a P5.

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Getting to ten wins will help us in recruiting. It's a milestone number.  If you want to see recruiting take a big jump, get us to ten wins.

If we can beat FAU then we'll probably end up in the Indy bowl playing a P5.  If we don't then we'll have no chance to play a p5.

So if we lose to FAU then I am perfectly fine with going to a great city and getting a tenth win.

If we beat FAU then I want a shot at a P5.

Brett McMurphs wouldn't be tweeting out "locks" if there aren't already some behind the scenes negotiating taking place. This reeks to high heaven BS. We have a predetermined bowl game regardless of the outcome of the CUSA Champ game result. We conceded to the easy path. Like we made way to not have to see Army as much. This staff is breaking down barriers in making things easier for themselves. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

You run to the defense of shitty decision making, I've noticed. Is that why you're here? 

giphy (5).gif

Sorry I will get on the right side... My point is a win > than a lose it don't matter what bowl it is or what the team is... When Boise started their bowl run they had the dang Humanatarian Bowl the first 3 years... But they Won..