I knew this could potentially happen...

Harry

6 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Then you're gambling on yourself. Chad Morris is a decent coach with good recruits. He's 7-5 in what was supposed to be their breakout year. A lot of these players, players that beat UNT basically by themselves, won't be there after this year. You know what you have returning at UNT. It's a egomanic gamble to take that. The risk/reward doesn't add up and to me is why it doesn't make sense. Littrell could see himself have 2 more 8 to10 win seasons here at UNT and then potentially be the pick of the litter for openings going into the 2020 season with a fat 25 million dollar contract spread over 5 to 6 years. 

raw

Littrell is prone to doing this, and it has worked for him every time.

• Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 2

Just now, MeanGreenTexan said:

Brohm is a great coach...  But I expected TN to go a little bigger.

Gundy turned TN down, so maybe it's not as good a job as some think? Morris doesn't have a winning record at SMU (14-22 / .388) so why TN would be interested in him is a little perplexing if they are wanting to "go bigger"?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

If I'm confident in my abilities, I'll take that job paying more... don't forget, that job comes with more exposure across the nation... continue to do what I do (build a winner) with the already-stocked pantry, and parlay that success into more than just however many "bigger employers" were looking at me before.

Again, it's not going to happen this year, but I would not be surprised to see Littrell leave in that hypothetical.

Is SMU more exposure? Well-stocked pantry? More money?

All of that is doubtful.

55 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

Gundy turned TN down, so maybe it's not as good a job as some think? Morris doesn't have a winning record at SMU (14-22 / .388) so why TN would be interested in him is a little perplexing if they are wanting to "go bigger"?

Indeed.

35 minutes ago, Ryan Munthe said:

Is SMU more exposure? Well-stocked pantry? More money?

All of that is doubtful.

More Exposure:
Sorry, the AAC > C-USA in the minds of CFB fans/personnel everywhere.  It's just how it is. 
All but 3 of their games this year were broadcast on TV, not just streaming on ESPN3 (one of those 3 not being broadcast was against us).   
CHECK.

More Money:
SL makes $1mil/yr plus incentives here.
CM is the richest G5 coach at $2.1mil/yr plus incentives.
CHECK.  & never, ever question SMU's ability to overpay for anyone/anything.

Well-stocked pantry:
Based on the talent he inherited here in 2016 VS the talent he would inherit at SMU in 2018?  I suppose this is subjective, but I mean... is it really?
CHECK.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I totally get the how SMU has some advantages but I just don't see SMU going SL nor SL being legitimately interested in leaving Denton for that job.  I mean seriously people act like there's hidden/secret schools and programs out there where people don't know what's going on.  I can assure you everybody knows what SL has done here in his 2 seasons and just because he goes to SMU won't give him any more of a leg up for a big P5 job than SMU.  College athletics is nothing but an environment of vultures so the exposure thing to me doesn't really add up here.  Other than cash and I admit that's a pretty big deal I don't see how SMU is that much better of a job than NT.

We could be heading into uncharted territory in that we legitimately have  shot at turning around the athletics program and the school perception...we're pouring more money into athletics and taking it seriously for once.  We might just now how to handle all of this.  If we consistently get 8-9-10 wins a season and flirt with top 25 polls I don't think there's any question we can sell Apogee out every week very easily. THAT will be a huge factor when another program wants to consider SL to lead their program.  You do that at SMU and I still believe there's major issues with attendance and I'm not so sure that the city of Dallas would get behind them as Dallas' college team no matter how much advertising they do and shove it down our throats on the radio.

And seriously it was a TCU blogger that threw this out there...we are getting trolled by one of our own and who happens to be the board's Czar.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

I totally get the how SMU has some advantages but I just don't see SMU going SL nor SL being legitimately interested in leaving Denton for that job.  I mean seriously people act like there's hidden/secret schools and programs out there where people don't know what's going on.  I can assure you everybody knows what SL has done here in his 2 seasons and just because he goes to SMU won't give him any more of a leg up for a big P5 job than SMU.  College athletics is nothing but an environment of vultures so the exposure thing to me doesn't really add up here.  Other than cash and I admit that's a pretty big deal I don't see how SMU is that much better of a job than NT.

We could be heading into uncharted territory in that we legitimately have  shot at turning around the athletics program and the school perception...we're pouring more money into athletics and taking it seriously for once.  We might just now how to handle all of this.  If we consistently get 8-9-10 wins a season and flirt with top 25 polls I don't think there's any question we can sell Apogee out every week very easily. THAT will be a huge factor when another program wants to consider SL to lead their program.  You do that at SMU and I still believe there's major issues with attendance and I'm not so sure that the city of Dallas would get behind them as Dallas' college team no matter how much advertising they do and shove it down our throats on the radio.

And seriously it was a TCU blogger that threw this out there...we are getting trolled by one of our own and who happens to be the board's Czar.

It's just hypothetical conversation.   As stated, I don't think Morris is going anywhere, so I don't really think this is going to happen.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, oldguystudent said:

Somebody please explain to me why Chad Morris keeps popping up as such a hot commodity for these big time P5 coaching jobs.  

Let's discount his 2-10 first year campaign.  He's since 12-12 (5-7, 7-5) at SMU.  Hardly lighting the world on fire, and don't even for a second think about giving me the line that he's creating mediocrity out of a down and out program with no resources.  

I seriously don't understand it.  At all. 

At A&M its kind of also because he's an alumn

1 hour ago, UNTFan23 said:

This TN coach search is comical at worst and down right hilarious at best.

Sounds like Brohm might not be headed to TN after all?

I kinda think this all goes back to Phillip Fulmer.  They should have never gotten rid of Fulmer and I just think they're still paying for that mistake IMO.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

19 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

That means he's leaving.  Mullen said the same about Mississippi State.

It may go back to TN Administration not clearing salary and buyout amounts before making an offer if what this tweet says is true:

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

4 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Indeed.

More Exposure:
Sorry, the AAC > C-USA in the minds of CFB fans/personnel everywhere.  It's just how it is. 
All but 3 of their games this year were broadcast on TV, not just streaming on ESPN3 (one of those 3 not being broadcast was against us).   
CHECK.

More Money:
SL makes $1mil/yr plus incentives here.
CM is the richest G5 coach at $2.1mil/yr plus incentives.
CHECK.  & never, ever question SMU's ability to overpay for anyone/anything.

Well-stocked pantry:
Based on the talent he inherited here in 2016 VS the talent he would inherit at SMU in 2018?  I suppose this is subjective, but I mean... is it really?
CHECK.

You’re flat out wrong about the perception of AAC among the people that matter.

We have never had donors with deep pockets like we do now.

Right now? I’d say we have more talent, because Littrell poached JuCo and transfers well. They have a star wideout. That’s it, and he’s gone.

SMU is at best lateral.

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

Folks, SMU KNOWS that Seth would likely be gone in a year, two at the most. Why would they pay him enough to leaven and cover his buy out when they can simply look for other G5 coaches or P5 coordinators who would stay around longer? Why would they want to make a coaching search and annual event when they don't have to do so. 

SMU doesn't make many stupid financial decisions!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

Folks, SMU KNOWS that Seth would likely be gone in a year, two at the most. Why would they pay him enough to leaven and cover his buy out when they can simply look for other G5 coaches or P5 coordinators who would stay around longer? Why would they want to make a coaching search and annual event when they don't have to do so. 

SMU doesn't make many stupid financial decisions!

They probably do know he’d be looking to continue his ascension, but surely they knew the same about Morris?

3 hours ago, Ryan Munthe said:

You’re flat out wrong about the perception of AAC among the people that matter.

We have never had donors with deep pockets like we do now.

Right now? I’d say we have more talent, because Littrell poached JuCo and transfers well. They have a star wideout. That’s it, and he’s gone.

SMU is at best lateral.

Now I’m 100% positive you’re posting from a defensive place.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 3

2 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

They probably do know he’d be looking to continue his ascension, but surely they knew the same about Morris?

Yes, they knew when they got Morris he would likely move in in three to four years. With Littrell, he's likely to get a P5 offer after NEXT season, unless he does poorly. Neither losing him after one year nor him doing poorly make good financial (or simply practical) choices. 

You don't hire a senior manager you know will be leaving in a year unless he's there for a specific, temporary project. Baylor brought in a specific guy to coach one year to try to stabilize their program. That is NOT what SMU is looking for. 

3 hours ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Comparing his "lateral" move from OC to OC position is a very different animal to a HC to HC lateral move--you don't have to implement an entirely new system/program as an assistant along with other factors making the move much easier. Also, "national exposure" is received from a coaching perspective based on how drastically you turn a program around, whom you've beat and what situation you inherited (how bad/good), not whether a conference has better TV contract deals/exposure or call themselves "P6."

Say SL goes undefeated next season or the next (hypothetically)...a big time program will very easily be watering their mouth with the possibility of hiring him and the exposure will be there for everyone to see very clearly. And honestly, I see UNT as a faster way to get to that level than SMU...we actually have more things going for us as a program than SMU does, i.e. facilities, fan base, a fully supportive administration, etc. The only thing that you could argue is them paying him more...but UNT has recently shown it can compete in that respect so I don't think the pay difference would be that big for it to be the deciding factor. And strategically, if you can get hired out of UNT in a year or two from now by a solid P5, makes no sense to risk transitioning to another lateral school to hope that happens within  virtually the same time frame. The only reason I would see this becoming plausible is if SL knows he just can't recruit the players at UNT he needs to become a CUSA powerhouse G5 program with plenty of exposure...but I think the evidence is slowly starting to disprove that quickly and I think our players are right up there with SMU's current players. I think if we play them now, we can win.

Also, we're all assuming SL is desperately seeking a bigger, better HC job. I think he truly is more comfortable at UNT than he has ever been as a coach and that that is not just coach speak. Environment, proximity to home, colleagues, etc...it all matters to a person. So I think he'll stick around for a while until a truly "big" opportunity comes knocking his door. Not a mediocre P5 school and sure as heck not a mediocre self-proclaimed P6 school like SMU.

Edited by bleedgreen4ever
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, bleedgreen4ever said:

Comparing his "lateral" move from OC to OC position is a very different animal to a HC to HC lateral move--you don't have to implement an entirely new system/program as an assistant along with other factors making the move much easier. Also, "national exposure" is received from a coaching perspective based on how drastically you turn a program around, whom you've beat and what situation you inherited (how bad/good), not whether a conference has better TV contract deals/exposure or call themselves "P6."

Say SL goes undefeated next season or the next (hypothetically)...a big time program will very easily be watering their mouth with the possibility of hiring him and the exposure will be there for everyone to see very clearly. And honestly, I see UNT as a faster way to get to that level than SMU...we actually have more things going for us as a program than SMU does, i.e. facilities, fan base, a fully supportive administration, etc. The only thing that you could argue is them paying him more...but UNT has recently shown it can compete in that respect so I don't think the pay difference would be that big for it to be the deciding factor. And strategically, if you can get hired out of UNT in a year or two from now by a solid P5, makes no sense to risk transitioning to another lateral school to hope that happens within  virtually the same time frame. The only reason I would see this becoming plausible is if SL knows he just can't recruit the players at UNT he needs to become a CUSA powerhouse G5 program with plenty of exposure...but I think the evidence is slowly starting to disprove that quickly and I think our players are right up there with SMU's current players. I think if we play them now, we can win.

Also, we're all assuming SL is desperately seeking a bigger, better HC job. I think he truly is more comfortable at UNT than he has ever been as a coach and that that is not just coach speak. Environment, proximity to home, colleagues, etc...it all matters to a person. So I think he'll stick around for a while until a truly "big" opportunity comes knocking his door. Not a mediocre P5 school and sure as heck not a mediocre self-proclaimed P6 school like SMU.

Bingo. It'll have to be the right job and right fit for Littrell. He's not going to risk his career in taking a stepping stone P5 job.

• Upvote 1