• Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

LongJim

UT's Warren Transferring

Recommended Posts

14 hours ago, NT93 said:

UT Freshman rushing record 276 yards vs Tech in 2015.  He was a beast that game.

I remember that game. Kid has some powerful legs. Plus speed. Don't think we would get him though. He could go almost any where. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One other hiccup.  We would only have him for the 2019 season if we were lucky enough to get him.  He played in 2015, 2016 and 2017 so he would sit in 2018 and be available in 2019.  

Couple that with the fact that he would be in a similar situation to what he would be at Texas in that we do not have a fullback either.  He would be a H-back or something similar.  We would have Smith, Johnson and Siggers who are faster, more elusive and would get the majority of the carries and are also threats as receivers.

He's a terrific athlete but I'm afraid that he needs to go where his talents can be utilized.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, MeanGreen22 said:

Anytime there’s a damn near 5 star recruit on the market that nearly ran for 300 in a game as a freshman, you take a stab at getting him on campus. He’d the be the thunder to our lightning (Nic Smith). 

Would love that.. adding him inside the redzone would be great when it’s harder to spread teams out

2 minutes ago, GrayEagle said:

One other hiccup.  We would only have him for the 2019 season if we were lucky enough to get him.  He played in 2015, 2016 and 2017 so he would sit in 2018 and be available in 2019.  

Couple that with the fact that he would be in a similar situation to what he would be at Texas in that we do not have a fullback either.  He would be a H-back or something similar.  We would have Smith, Johnson and Siggers who are faster, more elusive and would get the majority of the carries and are also threats as receivers.

He's a terrific athlete but I'm afraid that he needs to go where his talents can be utilized.

He can apply for a medical RS after his 2016 injury, giving him an extra year.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Would love that.. adding him inside the redzone would be great when it’s harder to spread teams out

He can apply for a medical RS after his 2016 injury, giving him an extra year.

He played in four games that year and it was his second most productive year.  If he was entitled to a medical redshirt why wouldn't they have already filed?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/27/2017 at 12:30 PM, Withers940 said:

He was originally a TE at UT. 

No, he was originally a running back at UT.   That idiot Herman thought he'd work better as a tight end.  Herman can't get a running game going if it ain't his qb, what a tool (yes I am still salty he is UT's head coach, grew up rooting for them because of my mama).  If we have the opportunity, we should get him.  I doubt there is anyone on the defensive side of the ball that would want to come to us with similar talent, though I doubt we're high on this kids radar.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Why does everyone think we need a big bruiser at RB?  We have been fine throughout the years with Wilburn, Galbreath, Cobbs, Dunbar, Wilson, etc...

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Was does everyone think we need a big bruiser at RB?  We have been fine throughout the years with Wilburn, Galbreath, Cobbs, Dunbar, Wilson, etc...

My thinking is mainly because of our poor percentage of conversions on 3rd/4th and short. 

  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Was does everyone think we need a big bruiser at RB?  We have been fine throughout the years with Wilburn, Galbreath, Cobbs, Dunbar, Wilson, etc...

I'm thinking of Singletary at FAU and how that type of back, if the talent is there, can really dominate at the CUSA level. Quite frankly, I think our offense would be terrifying with Mason at QB and a playet like him in the backfield. Obviously he would have to get it together but could be worth the shot.

I posted a link above. Looks like he's declared for the NFL. Star Telegram reporting the same. http://www.star-telegram.com/sports/nfl/dallas-cowboys/article198799599.html

Edited by GMG_Dallas

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Why does everyone think we need a big bruiser at RB?  We have been fine throughout the years with Wilburn, Galbreath, Cobbs, Dunbar, Wilson, etc...

Becauze the Air-Raid offenses have trouble usually scoring inside the red zone because of limited space to make defenses cover. It’s great having a back like Wilson, Dunbar, etc but having a heavier back allows for them to dish out punishment instead of taking it. 

Having a heavier back is very much needed as said above in the thread mostly because of short yardage. The OL couldn’t get a push and Wilson would just have to lower his shoulder and hope he could push an OL or 2 along with a DL/LB, etc. past the sticks at times. An example was vs SMU, we ran the wildcat 3 times inside the 2/3/4 yard line and it took us 4 tries to get a TD. We also struggled often in SL first year on 3rd down and this year as well at times.

A few more things about the bigger/heavier back. If we are giving out scholarships to kickers for 4/5 PATs, another 4/5 KOs and 1/2 field goals game, then how isn’t a RB who can extend a drive or punch it inside of having to kick a FG.. if a heavier back allows you to pick up 2 or 3 more first downs a game it eats more time, and gives this offense more chances and limits the defense. 

Having a RB that is 225 for example is which 20-25 lbs heavier than Wilson was, is a nice thing to have because of the size of lbs and DBs in CUSA. It allows for the RB to dish it out and make DBs take a pounding from the RB. Singletary wasn’t a 220+ according to ESPN or the FAU when I looked it up but he has a thick, well built lower body with a low center of gravity allowing him to be even more difficult to bring down. Singletary trucked and ran over our LBs numerous times in the games we played. Troys RB if he had played defense was as big our DL and the same size as Hambone, not many DBs want to take on someone 40-50-60 lbs heavier and being the same size or larger than LBs.

Last thing and I’ll stop.. it’s a huge change of pace. Just having a big guy who can come in eat clock, and give the defense something else to spend time on in practice another tool. I’m sorry but seeing Nic Smith literally getting ran over a few times in pass protection vs Army left a lot to be desired, and maybe I’m in a small group but having a bigger back who is willing to pound away and eat clock, make defense have 2nd thoughts of tackling them, and geting a few key shortage plays is worth the spot to me.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Becauze the Air-Raid offenses have trouble usually scoring inside the red zone because of limited space to make defenses cover. It’s great having a back like Wilson, Dunbar, etc but having a heavier back allows for them to dish out punishment instead of taking it. 

Having a heavier back is very much needed as said above in the thread mostly because of short yardage. The OL couldn’t get a push and Wilson would just have to lower his shoulder and hope he could push an OL or 2 along with a DL/LB, etc. past the sticks at times. An example was vs SMU, we ran the wildcat 3 times inside the 2/3/4 yard line and it took us 4 tries to get a TD. We also struggled often in SL first year on 3rd down and this year as well at times.

A few more things about the bigger/heavier back. If we are giving out scholarships to kickers for 4/5 PATs, another 4/5 KOs and 1/2 field goals game, then how isn’t a RB who can extend a drive or punch it inside of having to kick a FG.. if a heavier back allows you to pick up 2 or 3 more first downs a game it eats more time, and gives this offense more chances and limits the defense. 

Having a RB that is 225 for example is which 20-25 lbs heavier than Wilson was, is a nice thing to have because of the size of lbs and DBs in CUSA. It allows for the RB to dish it out and make DBs take a pounding from the RB. Singletary wasn’t a 220+ according to ESPN or the FAU when I looked it up but he has a thick, well built lower body with a low center of gravity allowing him to be even more difficult to bring down. Singletary trucked and ran over our LBs numerous times in the games we played. Troys RB if he had played defense was as big our DL and the same size as Hambone, not many DBs want to take on someone 40-50-60 lbs heavier and being the same size or larger than LBs.

Last thing and I’ll stop.. it’s a huge change of pace. Just having a big guy who can come in eat clock, and give the defense something else to spend time on in practice another tool. I’m sorry but seeing Nic Smith literally getting ran over a few times in pass protection vs Army left a lot to be desired, and maybe I’m in a small group but having a bigger back who is willing to pound away and eat clock, make defense have 2nd thoughts of tackling them, and geting a few key shortage plays is worth the spot to me.

I believe you and I are on the same page. Which is why I was advocating in another thread that we give Conner Means a look at RB. He's big (6'4" X 224) and fast. I can attest to that because I watched one of his scrambles when he was still competing for QB.  

Now, could he pass block? Don't know. Can he catch the ball? Don't know. I do know that he was fast enough to turn the corner and make defensive players miss (some cynics would say that's no big deal). But I don't know if he can, (or was inclined to) lower his shoulder and run over lb's......or at least push them backward for a yard or two. 

Oh well, since he has made the decision to leave the team, my suggestion is a moot point. I just hope our program hasn't made another Jamize Olawale mistake.

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, SilverEagle said:

I believe you and I are on the same page. Which is why I was advocating in another thread that we give Conner Means a look at RB. He's big (6'4" X 224) and fast. I can attest to that because I watched one of his scrambles when he was still competing for QB.  

Now, could he pass block? Don't know. Can he catch the ball? Don't know. I do know that he was fast enough to turn the corner and make defensive players miss (some cynics would say that's no big deal). But I don't know if he can, (or was inclined to) lower his shoulder and run over lb's......or at least push them backward for a yard or two. 

Oh well, since he has made the decision to leave the team, my suggestion is a moot point. I just hope our program hasn't made another Jamize Olawale mistake.

TCU has a big man Sewo Olonaloa (too lazy to check spelling) 6'3 235, and he is a difference maker. He punishes people every play. Then their speed backs gash them.  Just like a change up for a picture. It takes the other team out of their comfort zone. I am all for us having the thunder and lightning approach.  Hell put Hambone back there ten runs a game. He would love it and it would be fun to watch!

Edited by North Texas Shep

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/17/2018 at 6:27 AM, GMG_Dallas said:

If you look into it a bit more closely it looks like he is declaring for the draft because more than likely he was not going to be academically eligible next year for Texas and could not get into the school he wanted to transfer into.

Edited by laxtonto

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 3:14 PM, North Texas Shep said:

TCU has a big man Sewo Olonaloa (too lazy to check spelling) 6'3 235, and he is a difference maker. He punishes people every play. Then their speed backs gash them.  Just like a change up for a picture. It takes the other team out of their comfort zone. I am all for us having the thunder and lightning approach.  Hell put Hambone back there ten runs a game. He would love it and it would be fun to watch!

Wouldn’t risk Hambone, but would really like to see the staff go all in on a kid like Garrison Johnson, the 3/4* RB from Manvel that has said he is interested in UNT.. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/18/2018 at 1:45 AM, BTG_Fan1 said:

Becauze the Air-Raid offenses have trouble usually scoring inside the red zone because of limited space to make defenses cover. It’s great having a back like Wilson, Dunbar, etc but having a heavier back allows for them to dish out punishment instead of taking it. 

Having a heavier back is very much needed as said above in the thread mostly because of short yardage. The OL couldn’t get a push and Wilson would just have to lower his shoulder and hope he could push an OL or 2 along with a DL/LB, etc. past the sticks at times. An example was vs SMU, we ran the wildcat 3 times inside the 2/3/4 yard line and it took us 4 tries to get a TD. We also struggled often in SL first year on 3rd down and this year as well at times.

A few more things about the bigger/heavier back. If we are giving out scholarships to kickers for 4/5 PATs, another 4/5 KOs and 1/2 field goals game, then how isn’t a RB who can extend a drive or punch it inside of having to kick a FG.. if a heavier back allows you to pick up 2 or 3 more first downs a game it eats more time, and gives this offense more chances and limits the defense. 

Having a RB that is 225 for example is which 20-25 lbs heavier than Wilson was, is a nice thing to have because of the size of lbs and DBs in CUSA. It allows for the RB to dish it out and make DBs take a pounding from the RB. Singletary wasn’t a 220+ according to ESPN or the FAU when I looked it up but he has a thick, well built lower body with a low center of gravity allowing him to be even more difficult to bring down. Singletary trucked and ran over our LBs numerous times in the games we played. Troys RB if he had played defense was as big our DL and the same size as Hambone, not many DBs want to take on someone 40-50-60 lbs heavier and being the same size or larger than LBs.

Last thing and I’ll stop.. it’s a huge change of pace. Just having a big guy who can come in eat clock, and give the defense something else to spend time on in practice another tool. I’m sorry but seeing Nic Smith literally getting ran over a few times in pass protection vs Army left a lot to be desired, and maybe I’m in a small group but having a bigger back who is willing to pound away and eat clock, make defense have 2nd thoughts of tackling them, and geting a few key shortage plays is worth the spot to me.

This has so much less to do with back size, than OL scheme and execution than 99.9% of fans realize.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now