So about this defense

TheColonyEagle

So I know the points allowed for this year doesn't look good as a whole...but if you dig into the numbers since the FAU game:

This D has given up:

24 pts to ODU (at their average pts/game)

23 pts to LaTech (below their avg)

3 pts to UTEP (below their avg)

49 to Army (above their avg)

7 to Rice (below their avg)

Outside of Army who is averaging 31 pts/game, we didn't play great offensive teams, but we held the rest of them to or below their average. 

The D has given up 21 pts per game since the FAU melt down. If you take out the Army game (I still say we didn't overly game plan for them with the big picture in mind) Then this D has given up 14 pts per game since FAU. Only five TDs, six FGs. 

The point here is with the obvious exception of the FAU game, really since the 2nd half of the USM game, the arrow has been pointing up for this D. Plus they have come up HUGE in some critical situations this year. There are 2 bad games (SMU and FAU) as well as a late brain fart against an 8 win UAB team that makes the numbers look bad. Plus we have some special teams and offensive miscues that have led to points for the other team. But I think this D could actually be a little underrated. With the offense clicking like it has been, I expect the CUSA championship game to be a good game. In my mind, this game is about Mason Fine and the offense playing much better than we did the first time in Boca. 

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

The defensive backfield has played much better than earlier in the year.  

The defensive front has played well at times and actually won games.   If I was to rate them, I would go average for a CUSA unit. 

The FAU game was an anomaly and of course ruined all the defensive stats for a year.  

I hope the defense makes a very positive statement in the rematch.    

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

If the point is that this defense is not as bad as the one that showed up to Boca Raton in October, then yes, I agree. 

We came out flatter than a pancake and FAU was white hot. 

We also aren't as good as holding Utep and Rice to single digits on defense. 

hopefully we learned enough from our first go-round to make this one interesting.