Conference Championship Questions

MGNation92

Pumped to be playing in the game, but still very nervous considering what FAU can do.

1) I missed most of the Rice game but heard a lot of guys went down with injuries? How bad is this gonna hurt us?

2) Are we going to be able to slow them down this time?

I'm worried about getting blown out again. I understand we weren't in the best mental state last time, but that offense is damn near impossible to stop even in the right state of mind.

Just curious of y'alls thoughts heading into this week

• Sad 1
  • Downvote 1

4 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Pumped to be playing in the game, but still very nervous considering what FAU can do.

1) I missed most of the Rice game but heard a lot of guys went down with injuries? How bad is this gonna hurt us? I remember Evan Johnson and Jordan Murray going down, both re-entered the game later. 

2) Are we going to be able to slow them down this time? That is the Championship Trophy question.

I'm worried about getting blown out again. I understand we weren't in the best mental state last time, but that offense is damn near impossible to stop even in the right state of mind.

5 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

1) I missed most of the Rice game but heard a lot of guys went down with injuries? How bad is this gonna hurt us?

When do you guys start the game week thread I have some thoughts regarding this.  TEASER:  I don't see a blow out this time.

• Upvote 2

Just now, North Texas Shep said:

Should be closer. Nic Smith, blocking schemes have been better executed lately, and better control of the Mason Fine long ball may be the difference. 

That will account for some more offense points, but the defense gave up 500 yds rushing after being torched for record against FAU. 

Offense will not be a problem as long as keep playcalling with what works and not go to fast. Defense will be the major concern, they have to show they can stop teams and have yet to see it, except against lowly Rice and UTEP.

3 hours ago, untbowler said:

That will account for some more offense points, but the defense gave up 500 yds rushing after being torched for record against FAU. 

Offense will not be a problem as long as keep playcalling with what works and not go to fast. Defense will be the major concern, they have to show they can stop teams and have yet to see it, except against lowly Rice and UTEP.

I think the d is what it is. Offense will need to score every time they get a chance. 

9 minutes ago, North Texas Shep said:

I think the d is what it is. Offense will need to score every time they get a chance. 

That would be bad. If this turns into a game similar to Army, I am convinced the outcome will be depressingly similar to UNTs first meeting with FAU. FAUs offeense however has also been a bit stagnant since UNTs meeting with them.

1 hour ago, outoftown said:

That would be bad. If this turns into a game similar to Army, I am convinced the outcome will be depressingly similar to UNTs first meeting with FAU. FAUs offeense however has also been a bit stagnant since UNTs meeting with them.

I don't know about stagnant:   42, 30, (against best rated defense in league), 48, 52, 31 = 203 (40.6 per game).  In that period UNT has scored 196 (39.2 per game).  UNC-C was sloppy on the road the week after the Shula Bowl and a week before the CCG.  Actually looks like we both had similar games before the CCG.

Edited by FAU Connoisseur

14 minutes ago, FAU Connoisseur said:

I don't know about stagnant:   42, 30, (against best rated defense in league), 48, 52, 31 = 203 (40.6 per game).  In that period UNT has scored 196 (39.2 per game).  UNC-C was sloppy on the road the week after the Shula Bowl and a week before the CCG.  Actually looks like we both had similar games before the CCG.

I think we can agree that both teams can claim that the opposition has to score at least 30 to have a shot at winning. Probably 40 in this game.

I did not mean that FAUs offense in that time frame has been bad. I rather meant stagnant in the sense that I have not seen any further improvement beyond the fairly impressive place where it already was. I did not see all of the games, but those I did see, I felt the total score were a bit deceptive and the offense was not quite as good as the scores indicated (and the defense was better than the scores indicated).

But in order to keep FAU anywhere close to 30 UNTs defense has to improve more than FAUs offense since the first matchup. Getting even just 2 stops per half could be enough. But the way it went last time that would actually take significant improvement for UNT.

Edited by outoftown

12 hours ago, MGNation92 said:

As long as we don’t fall down 21-0 in the first quarter, I think we have a great shot at it. I feel like SL panicked a bit in the first game going for it on 4th down in our own side of the field, already down 14-0. If he punts and pins them deep there, might have been a different story.  This team now has a lot of confidence at this point. Should be interesting.  

Most of us are pumped about everything that's gone right this season.  And most of us have a few regrets, and would love just one more chance to to corrrect a past mistake.  And for most of us, that mistake was FAU earlier this season.   

Thing is, as much as this game makes us (the fans) anxious, what I love about this team is that they aren't scared of anything.  If someone told us we had to play Norte Dame this week, I'd believe we have a chance    The way these guys prepare and play, they'll be ready on Saturday.   No need to be anxious... Time to stand behind them, because they've already raised the bar and given out university great exposure.  

Give em hell Mean Green!