Final Week Bowl Projections

shaft

51 minutes ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Done deal. Again, i'm more than a little skeptical of the "winner gets to choose the bowl" thing.

This means both FAU & UNT have passed on the Bahamas (which they should have).  Bowls also have to extend an invite.  You don't ask people you are going to say no or let me see what else I can get.

Edited by shaft
Grammar

1 hour ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

Done deal. Again, i'm more than a little skeptical of the "winner gets to choose the bowl" thing.

5a1b5423aba5a_ScreenShot2017-11-26at5_53_38PM.png.fe18d2f3d24a3809a46c9a4f347e3c7d.png

Just makes me wonder if UAB was happy just to be in a bowl or if they were forced there. I would have thought they would try and get the Birmingham bowl. Also thought a team at 6-6 like MTSU, WKU, La Tech or UTSA would be forced to travel to the Bahamas. 

That being said, anyone from mid Alabama would welcome the reason to travel to the Bahamas because they live in Alabama....

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

i think that is a great reward for the program....where they came from and what they had to deal with ...yes, the fans get a bit screwed, but those guys that stuck around and clark deserve an all expenses paid trip to the bahamas.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, MrAlien said:

HOD bowl would be good for both TT and UNT, plus it will draw a record crowd for HOD

I could see both tech and UT basically making it clear that they would prefer not to play us in a bowl game, just because they don’t want to take any chance on losing to little ol’ UNT.

My guess is the NM Bowl against a MWC school or the NO Bowl against Troy.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

Beating UT in Bowl game north of Austin or outside the state of Texas is the holy grail for North Texas.  Even a little bigger than beating them in Austin.  Beating them in Austin would be great too.   But if they are having a season like Baylor had this year people just dismiss the win as that Longhorn team being an all time horrible team.  Beating them as a known commodity in a Bowl game is bigger.  

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm guessing the Bahamas Bowl needed to announce their teams earlier than the bowl announcement day because there's a whole different set of variables that need to be factored in.  Coaches & players need to start getting their passports ASAP as many of them likely do not have one.  Also, by announcing the teams 1 week ahead of schedule the UAB & Ohio fans get that crucial extra week to book flights to the Bahamas, get a passport as well if one is needed & in general start planning a trip that has much greater logistical challenges than flying to NM or New Orleans.  That's probably why those teams got "picked" ahead of the usual pecking order.

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, untjim1995 said:

I could see both tech and UT basically making it clear that they would prefer not to play us in a bowl game, just because they don’t want to take any chance on losing to little ol’ UNT.

My guess is the NM Bowl against a MWC school or the NO Bowl against Troy.

I'm betting on HOD or Independence. Hopefully HOD. Texas, I can see not playing us because of the fear of losing to a G5 CUSA program. TT, I actually think they'd be game to play us. I think it gives Tech the best chance go bowl in the state of Texas. UT, I've seen projected in t he Alamo bowl a bunch. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

12 hours ago, CaribbeanGreen said:

5a1b5423aba5a_ScreenShot2017-11-26at5_53_38PM.png.fe18d2f3d24a3809a46c9a4f347e3c7d.png

I reasonably sure neither FAU nor NT would pick the Bahamas bowl. Since passports are required, the bowl needs to name teams as early as possible. While you can rush passports, gathering the backing documents can take a while. Don't forget it's not just the team, but families of players, coaches and university officials as well. I would hope they'd find some passport service willing to give them a group rate for the rush services. 

1 hour ago, VideoEagle said:

I reasonably sure neither FAU nor NT would pick the Bahamas bowl. Since passports are required, the bowl needs to name teams as early as possible. While you can rush passports, gathering the backing documents can take a while. Don't forget it's not just the team, but families of players, coaches and university officials as well. I would hope they'd find some passport service willing to give them a group rate for the rush services. 

They do this every year, I am sure the bowl has a company with a contract to do two teams worth. 

2 minutes ago, Aldo said:

What better way to reward the players than an all expense paid trip to the Bahamas? Good on em.

I think more importantly, this is UAB's first year back from it's cancellation. To go 8-4 And go bowling, is something to be proud of on their part. Celebrating in the Bahamas is a college kid's dream.

• Lovely Take 2

7 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

I think more importantly, this is UAB's first year back from it's cancellation. To go 8-4 And go bowling, is something to be proud of on their part. Celebrating in the Bahamas is a college kid's dream.

as long as no drug tests during stay or immediately after they should be ok.

35 minutes ago, GreenTexan13 said:

BRING IT, HORNS!

70K inside the Cotton Bowl Stadium!

40K-45K wearing green!

🤔 Is this  heaven? (No, Joe, it's still Iowa, but with lots of people dressed in apple green & some in burn't orange)! 

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

28 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

BRING IT, HORNS!

70K inside the Cotton Bowl Stadium!

40K-45K wearing green!

🤔 Is this  heaven? (No, Joe, it's still Iowa, but with lots of people dressed in apple green & some in burn't orange)! 

22 minutes ago, Prettylittleeagle said:

BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This isn't a pipe dream, I could see this taking off. Provided TAMU and UT don't play, as some people have projected. 

I really think that playing UT can push for a sellout for a couple reasons. UNT already sells big numbers by just being good and playing a bowl game in DFW. So we have done 40k before, why cant we do 45-50k with a match-up against a school like UT or Texas Tech?

Either of those two schools both have a lot of alumni in the DFW Area. UT can easily bring 45k to the cotton bowl. It would also be a "home bowl" for them too as they already play in the cotton bowl once a year. Tech will still bring north of 30-35k, but I really think Texas-UNT would bring close to a sellout. 

Even casual football fans will go to a game like this because it will be two Texas schools duking it out. The Alamo Bowl does best when Texas plays in it against whomever from the PAC-12. 

• Upvote 4