Jump to content
  • Welcome to GoMeanGreen.com!

    Thank you for visiting us!  Registering is easy and free, and provides you with the ability to participate in the discussions along with many cool features and content.

Sign in to follow this  
BeyondTheGreen

Rice Game Turnout

Recommended Posts

Kudos to all the fans who came out to the Rice game yesterday.  It felt very much like a home game, and the players felt it.  I kept hearing comments throughout the game that the crowd was kicking ass and it was making a difference.  It helps that Rice isnt very good right now, but either way, high-five to all the Houston-based UNT fans and any that made the trip down.   Good stuff.  

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I saw quite a few DFW faces. Pleasently surprised at how many made the trip.  Better turnout than at Ruston.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It was a pretty easy round trip, and made all the more “easy” by witnessing Mean Green win #9!

So proud of this team. They continue to surprise! Was great meeting a few Houston area grads at the Alumni tailgate too. Nice crowd...nice event! Best of all...

another Mean Green win!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

I saw quite a few DFW faces. Pleasently surprised at how many made the trip.  Better turnout than at Ruston.

This is why we need a bowl game somewhere near so we can get fans together. Lot of Green when we beat  UNLV in 2013

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 hours ago, Cerebus said:

I saw quite a few DFW faces. Pleasently surprised at how many made the trip.  Better turnout than at Ruston.

Of course it's better turnout than Ruston. Where would you rather spend a night, Rust On or Houston? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

An example of why a lot of these attendance threads are silly.  Announced attendance 17,956, when even some Rice fans say there were less than 2000 at the game, which seems verified from game video.  

How do you compare attendances which a lot of us do, when there is such a discrepancy  in how it is reported.   Even with season tickets counted, I doubt Rice could come close to supporting the almost 18k reported.  

NT reporting of attendance is very generous, but compared to many other programs it is much more accurate.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

 Announced attendance 17,956, when even some Rice fans say there were less than 2000 at the game, which seems verified from game video.  

It was more than that.  You have to remember Rice Stadium seats 47,000, expandable to 70,000.  It is a big place.

I would guess 4000 actual.  Still pretty bad.  However I won't bad mouth them for it as I saw JaQuay Wilburn set the all time rushing record in front of about 300 at Fouts.  I was the only student in my section, when I wanted to high five someone I had to run to another section, where that guy was the only student in his section.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It was more than that.  You have to remember Rice Stadium seats 47,000, expandable to 70,000.  It is a big place.

I would guess 4000 actual.  Still pretty bad.  However I won't bad mouth them for it as I saw JaQuay Wilburn set the all time rushing record in front of about 300 at Fouts.  I was the only student in my section, when I wanted to high five someone I had to run to another section, where that guy was the only student in his section.  

I have been to most home games and went to that game.   I have never seen an attendance as low as you quote.  

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, GrandGreen said:

I have been to most home games and went to that game.   I have never seen an attendance as low as you quote.  

Are you saying it was 400?  There could not have been more than 50 students there.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It was more than that.  You have to remember Rice Stadium seats 47,000, expandable to 70,000.  It is a big place.

I would guess 4000 actual.  Still pretty bad.  However I won't bad mouth them for it as I saw JaQuay Wilburn set the all time rushing record in front of about 300 at Fouts.  I was the only student in my section, when I wanted to high five someone I had to run to another section, where that guy was the only student in his section.  

Who was NT playing and did we win???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DeepGreen said:

Who was NT playing and did we win???

We beat NMSU that day to rack up 3 wins in 2000.   Other two wins were ULaLa and Samford.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
54 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

We beat NMSU that day to rack up 3 wins in 2000.   Other two wins were ULaLa and Samford.  

Sounds like Lance Dunbar's record setting game in 2011... i feel like there might have been 750 people there to witness his 300 yard day. and our 59-7 drubbing of MTSU.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/26/2017 at 10:40 AM, BeyondTheGreen said:

Kudos to all the fans who came out to the Rice game yesterday.  It felt very much like a home game, and the players felt it.  I kept hearing comments throughout the game that the crowd was kicking ass and it was making a difference.  It helps that Rice isnt very good right now, but either way, high-five to all the Houston-based UNT fans and any that made the trip down.   Good stuff.  

 

Off topic question.  How do you really feel about your son, @BTG_Fan1?  Has he always been a problem child?

Off topic comment.  Once again, just a great series you have put together.  Do you ever see it expanding to include basketball or other sports?

Back on topic.  My mother, who is older, kept commenting about the lack of fans.  We were watching on ESPN3, and I explained that they were showing the Rice side.  When they finally got a shot of our side, she said, why are they all sitting on our side?  I had to explain that it appears we outnumbered the Rice faithful.

  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

It was more than that.  You have to remember Rice Stadium seats 47,000, expandable to 70,000.  It is a big place.

I would guess 4000 actual.  Still pretty bad.  However I won't bad mouth them for it as I saw JaQuay Wilburn set the all time rushing record in front of about 300 at Fouts.  I was the only student in my section, when I wanted to high five someone I had to run to another section, where that guy was the only student in his section.  

That's funny, that was either me or near me, sounds really familiar. TI Green and I call those the lemon chill days. We'd buy a lemon chill then stretch across 3 bleachers like we were laying out at the beach

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Chatting about attendance, I was curious enough to pull SMU home games this year and compare to UNT.

SMU total 119,131, average 19,855 (cap. 32,000), high 9/9 24,638 vs NT, low 11/25 14,209 vs Tulane

NT total 134,174, average 22,362 (cap. 30,850), high 11/18 26,392 vs Army, low 10/28 18,872 vs Old Dominion

I especially like that SMU's highest turnout was against UNT.

Edited by rws69

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Chatting about attendance, I was curious enough to pull SMU home games this year and compare to UNT.

SMU total 119,131, average 19,855 (cap. 32,000), high 9/9 24,638 vs NT, low 11/25 14,209 vs Tulane

NT total 134,174, average 22,362 (cap. 30,850), high 11/18 26,392 vs Army, low 10/28 18,872 vs Old Dominion

I especially like that SMU's highest turnout was against UNT.

I’ve always said that SMU needs us a lot more than we need them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, the green rokemi said:

That's funny, that was either me or near me, sounds really familiar. TI Green and I call those the lemon chill days. We'd buy a lemon chill then stretch across 3 bleachers like we were laying out at the beach

Amazing.  I always wondered what ever happened to high five dude.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Cerebus said:

We beat NMSU that day to rack up 3 wins in 2000.   Other two wins were ULaLa and Samford.  

I remember sitting theee and counting everyone I could and it seems between 500 and 700?

24 months later hosting nmsu with the conference championship on the line and we had 24k. That was the game when all the great shots of students rushing the field were produced and used in promos etc.  I think it was also the "Bowl Invitaaaay...shun" night?

 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

 I think it was also the "Bowl Invitaaaay...shun" night?

No that was on the third invitation.   2001 was our first trip. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

I remember sitting theee and counting everyone I could and it seems between 500 and 700?

 

Found a couple of my photos from that game..

IMG_3330.PNG.6849f62f41a83389b338dab432f90e83.PNG

IMG_3331.PNG.d416688fea8646a69773563e55f4ec76.PNG

 

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Thanks 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Please review our full Privacy Policy before using our site.