Rice Game Turnout

BeyondTheGreen

Kudos to all the fans who came out to the Rice game yesterday.  It felt very much like a home game, and the players felt it.  I kept hearing comments throughout the game that the crowd was kicking ass and it was making a difference.  It helps that Rice isnt very good right now, but either way, high-five to all the Houston-based UNT fans and any that made the trip down.   Good stuff.  

It was a pretty easy round trip, and made all the more “easy” by witnessing Mean Green win #9!

So proud of this team. They continue to surprise! Was great meeting a few Houston area grads at the Alumni tailgate too. Nice crowd...nice event! Best of all...

another Mean Green win!

An example of why a lot of these attendance threads are silly.  Announced attendance 17,956, when even some Rice fans say there were less than 2000 at the game, which seems verified from game video.  

How do you compare attendances which a lot of us do, when there is such a discrepancy  in how it is reported.   Even with season tickets counted, I doubt Rice could come close to supporting the almost 18k reported.  

NT reporting of attendance is very generous, but compared to many other programs it is much more accurate.   

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Announced attendance 17,956, when even some Rice fans say there were less than 2000 at the game, which seems verified from game video.  

It was more than that.  You have to remember Rice Stadium seats 47,000, expandable to 70,000.  It is a big place.

I would guess 4000 actual.  Still pretty bad.  However I won't bad mouth them for it as I saw JaQuay Wilburn set the all time rushing record in front of about 300 at Fouts.  I was the only student in my section, when I wanted to high five someone I had to run to another section, where that guy was the only student in his section.  

23 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

It was more than that.  You have to remember Rice Stadium seats 47,000, expandable to 70,000.  It is a big place.

I would guess 4000 actual.  Still pretty bad.  However I won't bad mouth them for it as I saw JaQuay Wilburn set the all time rushing record in front of about 300 at Fouts.  I was the only student in my section, when I wanted to high five someone I had to run to another section, where that guy was the only student in his section.  

I have been to most home games and went to that game.   I have never seen an attendance as low as you quote.  

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Who was NT playing and did we win???

54 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

We beat NMSU that day to rack up 3 wins in 2000.   Other two wins were ULaLa and Samford.  

Sounds like Lance Dunbar's record setting game in 2011... i feel like there might have been 750 people there to witness his 300 yard day. and our 59-7 drubbing of MTSU.

On 11/26/2017 at 10:40 AM, BeyondTheGreen said:

Kudos to all the fans who came out to the Rice game yesterday.  It felt very much like a home game, and the players felt it.  I kept hearing comments throughout the game that the crowd was kicking ass and it was making a difference.  It helps that Rice isnt very good right now, but either way, high-five to all the Houston-based UNT fans and any that made the trip down.   Good stuff.  

Off topic question.  How do you really feel about your son, @BTG_Fan1?  Has he always been a problem child?

Off topic comment.  Once again, just a great series you have put together.  Do you ever see it expanding to include basketball or other sports?

Back on topic.  My mother, who is older, kept commenting about the lack of fans.  We were watching on ESPN3, and I explained that they were showing the Rice side.  When they finally got a shot of our side, she said, why are they all sitting on our side?  I had to explain that it appears we outnumbered the Rice faithful.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cerebus said:

That's funny, that was either me or near me, sounds really familiar. TI Green and I call those the lemon chill days. We'd buy a lemon chill then stretch across 3 bleachers like we were laying out at the beach

Chatting about attendance, I was curious enough to pull SMU home games this year and compare to UNT.

SMU total 119,131, average 19,855 (cap. 32,000), high 9/9 24,638 vs NT, low 11/25 14,209 vs Tulane

NT total 134,174, average 22,362 (cap. 30,850), high 11/18 26,392 vs Army, low 10/28 18,872 vs Old Dominion

I especially like that SMU's highest turnout was against UNT.

Edited by rws69

2 minutes ago, rws69 said:

Chatting about attendance, I was curious enough to pull SMU home games this year and compare to UNT.

SMU total 119,131, average 19,855 (cap. 32,000), high 9/9 24,638 vs NT, low 11/25 14,209 vs Tulane

NT total 134,174, average 22,362 (cap. 30,850), high 11/18 26,392 vs Army, low 10/28 18,872 vs Old Dominion

I especially like that SMU's highest turnout was against UNT.

I’ve always said that SMU needs us a lot more than we need them.

51 minutes ago, the green rokemi said:

That's funny, that was either me or near me, sounds really familiar. TI Green and I call those the lemon chill days. We'd buy a lemon chill then stretch across 3 bleachers like we were laying out at the beach

Amazing.  I always wondered what ever happened to high five dude.  

16 hours ago, Cerebus said:

We beat NMSU that day to rack up 3 wins in 2000.   Other two wins were ULaLa and Samford.  

I remember sitting theee and counting everyone I could and it seems between 500 and 700?

24 months later hosting nmsu with the conference championship on the line and we had 24k. That was the game when all the great shots of students rushing the field were produced and used in promos etc.  I think it was also the "Bowl Invitaaaay...shun" night?

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick