DRC: Is UNT having the best season of G5 programs in Texas?

Brett Vito

27 minutes ago, MrStrange18 said:

Wouldn't you agree though that if we played that game today we might see a different result? 

I know I'm drinking the koolaid some here, but I think our team today is better than smu. 

I think so as well, people forget how the offense struggled early on (in comparison to now). My buddy and I wanted Shambour in the Iowa game. That's crazy talk now!

• Upvote 3
  • Haha 1

No, we lost to SMU.

We’re having a good year.  A conference championship or a bowl win will make it a great year.  Both will make it a top 5 season.

Agree.  That SMU loss was a bad one.  The final score did no reflect how bad we got beat.  We could not compete with SMU after the first quarter

Edited by Eppie96
  • Upvote 3
  • Sad 1

9 hours ago, VideoEagle said:

Technically, Hayden's '77 team only won 9 games as Mississippi State forfeited after beating us on the field. If this team get's 10 wins it truly is a significant mile stone.

True, 15-17 on the field loss @ Miss. St in the 1st game of the season.  NT was still independent and had no extra games (12 regular season games, Conference championship and a bowl game to play today) 

Also, I don’t know why we continue to rank player stats as it relates to all-time school records when the times were different. I’m as excited as anyone about the pleasant surprise of Mason Fine. In 1977, Ken Washington only had a total of 129 att for 1,155 (2nd string Ken Smith had 88 att and 8 for Jordan Case) Schools ran the ball with 2 backs in the backfield and the QB under center. We did get as high as #16 in the polls. (In part to Fry voting for his own team)

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

39 minutes ago, Cooley said:

Also, I don’t know why we continue to rank player stats as it relates to all-time school records when the times were different. I’m as excited as anyone about the pleasant surprise of Mason Fine. In 1977, Ken Washington only had a total of 129 att for 1,155 (2nd string Ken Smith had 88 att and 8 for Jordan Case) Schools ran the ball with 2 backs in the backfield and the QB under center. We did get as high as #16 in the polls. (In part to Fry voting for his own team)

Because that's how it's always been done across all sports and should continue to be done. Babe Ruth was toppled by Hank Aaron for all-time HRs, but it's a legitimate milestone. No one talks about it being different times anymore because it is the way and nature of sports. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Cooley said:

We did get as high as #16 in the polls. (In part to Fry voting for his own team)

And I'm sure Fry was the only coach in the history of the NCAA (who had a good team) that did that?  He could not have gotten his team in the Top 20 on his single vote alone was what one college sports expert of that era told me when I asked.  (Little ol' unworthy of anything NTSU had to have other votes to get in).

Good luck, NewDenton, in overcoming our illustrious teachers college past & the Nestor's on the downtown square who've had a corner of the Denton college $tudent market for about 125 years.  (That group & all their customer$ could have easily filled the rest of Apogee last Saturday night---but---didn't).  Some things still seem to stay the same. Maybe Wren Baker can change it.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Jason Howeth said:

No one talks about it being different times anymore because it is the way and nature of sports.

I just did. This is discussed all the time. Barber shops, talk shows, ball games, with my family and friends and often on GMG.com. 

The people who may accept this as truth may not have been around and/or uninformed. (In general and not specific to anyone) 

This is why asterisks are used. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

Distinct lack of asterisks. 

http://www.nfl.com/history/randf/records/indiv/passing

Records are records. Yes, the context under which they're set has meaning, but you mostly only hear this argument from someone who is stuck on the record from their particular generation, ignoring that it was also set in a different context than what came before. 

The game will continue to change, and records will be broken. That's life. I don't think the people who accept that are un-informed, and nobody here was around when the first records were set. 

• Upvote 1

This is a good team that hasn't won anything yet. December 2nd will let us know how good this team is.

SMU and FAU destroyed this team. How they respond to FAU is how this team should be judged.

It's also pretty sad that folks have to look back 40 years to compare good seasons. As an alumni, fan, and letterman I must say I'm tired about hearing how great things were almost a half century ago. Those great years were the calm before the 1aa storm. I've always expected better things from UNT and those 70s teams aren't a glowing example of how things should be here. Sorry to offend but we need to have higher expectations.  

• Upvote 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 3

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

This is a good team that hasn't won anything yet. December 2nd will let us know how good this team is.

SMU and FAU destroyed this team. How they respond to FAU is how this team should be judged.

It's also pretty sad that folks have to look back 40 years to compare good seasons. As an alumni, fan, and letterman I must say I'm tired about hearing how great things were almost a half century ago. Those great years were the calm before the 1aa storm. I've always expected better things from UNT and those 70s teams aren't a glowing example of how things should be here. Sorry to offend but we need to have higher expectations.  

The current team has at least won a co-championship of the Western Division.  

Not sure what you have against Fry's teams.  Higher expectations would certainly apply to NT in general; but much more to almost any era than the mid-70s.  

This team is 8-3, with 8-6 to 11-3 possible with most likely 9-5 or 10-4 to be the record.  Frankly, our expectations don't matter; the team's success does.  

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, GrandGreen said:

The current team has at least won a co-championship of the Western Division.  

Not sure what you have against Fry's teams.  Higher expectations would certainly apply to NT in general; but much more to almost any era than the mid-70s.  

This team is 8-3, with 8-6 to 11-3 possible with most likely 9-5 or 10-4 to be the record.  Frankly, our expectations don't matter; the team's success does.  

Co-champions of the West is meaningless. CUSA champs has meaning. Expectations be damned because there is nothing for second place. The teams success is exactly what I was saying. And you are wrong, our expectations matter. That loser mentality is like a cancer through our school. If you think expectations/perception doesn't have an impact on that team and coaches I have some oil rich land to sell you.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, UNTexas said:

Co-champions of the West is meaningless. CUSA champs has meaning. Expectations be damned because there is nothing for second place. The teams success is exactly what I was saying. And you are wrong, our expectations matter. That loser mentality is like a cancer through our school. If you think expectations/perception doesn't have an impact on that team and coaches I have some oil rich land to sell you.

Why not shoot for a national championship?.  I don't understand people like you that limit the program by being satisfied with just a conference championship.  

• Upvote 3

32 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

Why not shoot for a national championship?.  I don't understand people like you that limit the program by being satisfied with just a conference championship.  

As unlikely as it is this should always be the goal. Otherwise we are putting a cap on what success can look like. Just ask Leicester City in the premier league. 

• Downvote 1

53 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

While I applaud this mentality, it seems that the powers that be have ordained that the national championship is only available to about 20-25 institutions of higher learning.  How boring.  It's the same handful of teams year after year after year after year.   No one outside the "chosen" will be permitted to win a national championship for the rest of time. 

• Upvote 2

You know what is almost as good as a national championship to me?

Walking into work dressed in Mean Green head to toe in front of the usual mouthy alumns of ____ (fill in the blank of any ex SWC school)...and instead of getting snark and sarcastic jabs about 1-11 or questions like "What level of football does North Texas play in now?" thrown at me I get....."Damn, your Mean Green is having a good year.  Y'all's quarterback is something else.  Where did your coach come from?......etc".

It's All Green And All Good!

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5

10 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

You know what is almost as good as a national championship to me?

Walking into work dressed in Mean Green head to toe in front of the usual mouthy alumns of ____ (fill in the blank of any ex SWC school)...and instead of getting snark and sarcastic jabs about 1-11 or questions about what level football we play in thrown at me I get....."Damn, your Mean Green is having a good year.  Y'all's quarterback is something else.  Where did your coach come from?......etc".

It's All Green And All Good!

Rick

Keep the momentum going!!! GMG