Kevin Sumlin

golfingomez

Reports started leaking out yesterday that he is gone after Saturday regardless of what happens during the game. 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/21/texas-am-kevin-sumlin-fired-lsu-assistant-coach-recruits

I'm really hoping Sumlin goes full Dickey on Saturday and they come out in the practice jerseys

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

19 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

Reports started leaking out yesterday that he is gone after Saturday regardless of what happens during the game. 

https://www.si.com/college-football/2017/11/21/texas-am-kevin-sumlin-fired-lsu-assistant-coach-recruits

I'm really hoping Sumlin goes full Dickey on Saturday and they come out in the practice jerseys

If you look at his record while at TAMU it's really pretty solid.  Certainly better than Strong at Texas.  Plus he brought in a Heisman Trophy winner?  Great recruiter as well.  If I were Arkansas I would jump on him.

5 minutes ago, Harry said:

If you look at his record while at TAMU it's really pretty solid.  Certainly better than Strong at Texas.  Plus he brought in a Heisman Trophy winner?  Great recruiter as well.  If I were Arkansas I would jump on him.

He didn't bring him in, that was during Sherman's time, but he definitely had the foresight to play him. He did a LOT for the university in terms of injecting excitement and bringing in recruits.

• Thanks 2

After Sherman left, I always felt like they were just looking for a reason to fire Sumlin. As stated above he has a solid record, any word on who A&M is looking at to hire? In all honesty I hope the program takes a nose dive 😅

Edited by Salsa_Verde
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 3
  • Downvote 1

3 hours ago, golfingomez said:

We know how well this can turn out.

• Upvote 3

Sumlin ain't done yet as a high profile FBS HFC. He's smooth, polished & just had the wrong deal down there in the Brazos River bottomland.  

If we were looking I hope he'd be toward the top of our list if not at the top. My gut tells me we have SL for another 3-4 years & that's a good thing.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

17 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Sumlin ain't done yet as a high profile FBS HFC. He's smooth, polished & just had the wrong deal down there in the Brazos River bottomland.  

If we were looking I hope he'd be toward the top of our list if not at the top. My gut tells me we have SL for another 3-4 years & that's a good thing.

I agree he would be the perfect great recruiting type head coach to continue the momentum Seth will hopefully leave behind after a 6 to 8 year run.  Maybe he takes a two year break and want something that little further down on the pressure cooker meter.   In a very few years we could be like UCF or USF vying for a New Year’s 6 Bowl.  Imagine if the stars align and we end up in the Cotton Bowl (at AT&T Stadium) like Western Michigan?   Program would be set for a decade of success.

21 hours ago, flyingeagle12 said:

I don't understand how A&M ever thought they could move to the SEC and be the top dog in football....

Hubris. They have delusions of grandeur. They've never won a national championship but they behave like they are a perennial powerhouse. They aren't.  They are big, wealthy, and have a lots of weird alumni & fans. What I've learned from them is they have massive penis envy with all things UT. It always made me laugh that Texas OU are huge rivals and A&M was like Johnny Tyler in Tombstone.

Edited by UNTexas
  • Upvote 2

It’s easy to look at his record and say “he’s a great coach!”

Its easy to win 8 every season when you beat 4 cupcakes and then play the Tenn, Kentucky, Vandys of the SEC for another few wins. 

Look at his record vs the SEC West, not good. 

He lucked into Johnny Football and couldn’t capitalize on that momentum.

• Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, H-towngreen said:

It’s easy to look at his record and say “he’s a great coach!”

Its easy to win 8 every season when you beat 4 cupcakes and then play the Tenn, Kentucky, Vandys of the SEC for another few wins. 

Look at his record vs the SEC West, not good. 

He lucked into Johnny Football and couldn’t capitalize on that momentum.

I think Hill & Allen left because they didn’t like Spavital.  Now Spavital is at WVU & A&M is playing former-UNT target Nick Starkel.  He’s doing OK, when not injured, but not on those guys’ level.