Not gonna lie

emmitt01

31 minutes ago, emmitt01 said:

I've developed a serious football crush on Mason Fine.  I was in school and graduating during the Hall era, saw the legendary (to a select 1) Derek Thompson and have watched everyone in between.  This kid is on another level*

*Begins to contemplate changing board handle to "Foner", "MFoner"...but not "Moner"

the Magic man or Magic Fine!  

Trying to temper this, but can't. 

Right now he's the best I've seen at North Texas doing all that he does.   He hits receivers on those sideline patterns like an NFL'er. 

Now I just hope our recruiting goes to the next level because we have one helluva school & football venue to sell toward. They can also start recruiting toward the IPF now if it's going to be completed within 2 years. 

It's All Good! It's all Green! (right, FFR)?

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

I've developed a serious football crush on Mason Fine.  I was in school and graduating during the Hall era, saw the legendary (to a select 1) Derek Thompson and have watched everyone in between.  This kid is on another level*

*Begins to contemplate changing board handle to "Foner", "MFoner"...but not "Moner"

Man...I agree 100% 

I find myself asking "can we please keep him for more than 2 more years?"

• Upvote 1

Fine is really good ... especially for only a sophomore ... but he still makes plenty of mistakes so he can see him get better.  

Also, looking at that picture in the OP he doesn't seem to have big hands yet he still throws a terrific ball and tight spirals. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Trying to temper this, but can't. 

Right now he's the best I've seen at North Texas doing all that he does.   He hits receivers on those sideline patterns like an NFL'er. 

Now I just hope our recruiting goes to the next level because we have one helluva school & football venue to sell toward. They can also start recruiting toward the IPF now. 

It's All Good! It's all Green! (right, FFR)?

That's right.

Rick

• Upvote 3

A couple of other high points: the video in this is awesome. There are times I am thinking I am going to hear the voice of John Facenda, the quality is so well produced. Though hearing Dave Barnett go hoarse on the Bussey tight walk to the end zone is pretty, pretty good.

And I think Fine getting up and pumping his fist after being on the ground for a couple of minutes is one of my favorite moments in all the years I have been watching NT play ball (circa 1980). Right up there with the Booger sack and fumble recovery where he rolls the guy and comes up with the ball in one continuous motion, against Baylor if memory serves. Looked for video of that play and couldn't find it to share. FFR has it in his archive, I am confident.

GMG

• Upvote 2

Just now, untcampbell said:

A couple of other high points: the video in this is awesome. There are times I am thinking I am going to hear the voice of John Facenda, the quality is so well produced. Though hearing Dave Barnett go hoarse on the Bussey tight walk to the end zone is pretty, pretty good.

And I think Fine getting up and pumping his fist after being on the ground for a couple of minutes is one of my favorite moments in all the years I have been watching NT play ball (circa 1980). Right up there with the Booger sack and fumble recovery where he rolls the guy and comes up with the ball in one continuous motion, against Baylor if memory serves. Looked for video of that play and couldn't find it to share. FFR has it in his archive, I am confident.

GMG

It was against MTSU.  I think in 02.  It is on YouTube.

• Upvote 4

back to the topic though... think about the fact that Fine went to a school of only 450 kids, he's most likely the smallest QB in D-1 football, and definitely the smallest starter

and we were his only offer... now he's a true sophomore and is arguably the best QB in CUSA

sometimes things just happen.

Edited by golfingomez

16 hours ago, emmitt01 said:

When I assessed the QB candidates last fall, when Fine was a freshman, the most notable thing that I noticed about Fine was that he just oozed confidence from every pore...........and that you couldn't coach something like that.

Now, after a year of adjusting to the speed of the game, and finally getting a couple of Josh Doctson-like receivers ( Guyton and Bussy) who can/will go after the ball, plus a Cole Beasly-like possession receiver (Lawrence) he is definitely taking it to another level. Having said all that, I still don't think he throws the ball or runs the ball any better than Q. Shanbour.

I'm looking forward to the day that Mason Fine's performance on any given Saturday is a beat down of the other team, and not a desperate effort to overcome, and/or make up for, the deficits of our defense. 

Mitch Maher is the closest I've seen as far as a QB who played with as much coolness under fire, and with the ability/confidence to bring a team from behind.  Who knows how well Maher could have done with Mason Fine's weapons. And let's hope that the next time Fine is going on one of his patented game-winning-last-minute drives to win the game, he doesn't have to face a one armed DB. 

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, golfingomez said:

back to the topic though... think about the fact that Fine went to a school of only 450 kids, he's most likely the smallest QB in D-1 football, and definitely the smallest starter

and we were his only offer... now he's a true sophomore and is arguably the best QB in CUSA

sometimes things just happen.

That reminds me of the old saying : "Talent is where you find it."