MGN: on Beat Writers and SL's time

aztecskin

3 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Assuming this is that Carroll kid you kept pushing for so hard? 

Don't know about recruiting habits or tendencies of this staff. I don't know how they go about this process. What I do know are the results. And defensively, the results are speaking for themselves. You can out-scheme teams on offense. Can't do that on D as much so, and it's showing. Only Fordham has allowed more points to Army than us. Most of their games are in the 20's. Of course, we allow the season high for them in yardage. 

They haven’t been to that campus or several other campuses in that district in a year, according to multiple sources who say every Big 12 staff has been present.

If you want to win recruiting battles, you need to show up for the fight.

Oh, and the source isn’t that kid or his family, just FYI. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 6

2 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Lol good lord you're still pushing that kid from SLC huh? Sorry your buddy's kid didn't get an offer. We're 8-3 with the guys this staff wanted. If they thought he would help them they would have offered, as they would with every other kid out there. 

I'm all about criticizing the staff where the lack, which in my opinion is still recruiting, but to hold a personal grudge over a friend's kid is petty as hell. 

It’s not a problem, as he is at Tech as a preferred walk on. 

The fact that you think this staff couldn’t use a preferred walk on that Tech can just proves your well documented rah rah boy status. 

Let’s see how this plays out in the next couple of years...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 7

Just now, UNT90 said:

The fact that you think this staff couldn’t use a preferred walk on that Tech can just proves your well documented rah rah boy status. 

It'll play out fine for the next couple of years as far as competitiveness on the field. As far as W's, it'll be a crap shoot because we can't stop no one. This season could be so much worse than it currently is, but not much better. We're a team with 0 margin for error because we lack the skill on defense. I wish this staff would go dumb heavy on defense this year. 70%. Take only premium offensive guys, but go get as many of the best defensive players you can land, particularly at DL and LB. 

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

Rah Rah? UNT is 8-3 playing for a conference championship

Tech is 5-6 playing for maybe a bowl game if they're lucky

And are you just dumb or are you shoved so far up TCU's ass that you literally calling me, someone who is pretty damn critical of this staff, a rah rah boy? Go back to cheering for the Frogs. Nobody wants you here. If you're gonna bitch, at least make it constructive. 

Littrell's recruiting has been pretty bad from a ranking perspective, but so has Gary Patterson's(for a P5). The issue is developing, and Littrell is clearly doing something right there, while coach bro is not. Nobody wanted Evan Johnson. Nobody wanted Michael Lawrence.  Nobody wanted Fine. I'd rather have those three any day of the week. Plenty of players don't fit into coach's plans all across the country, you're just so butthurt over your personal bias that you can't see that something is clearly working for Littrell, while it hasn't worked for coach bro for a long time.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

25 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

They haven’t been to that campus or several other campuses in that district in a year, according to multiple sources who say every Big 12 staff has been present.

If you want to win recruiting battles, you need to show up for the fight.

Oh, and the source isn’t that kid or his family, just FYI. 

Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly.  You're mad we didn't look at a kid who got a PWO spot, and in the same breath are pissed we aren't showing up to schools because "every big12 school is showing up".  Those big12 schools don't just meander school to school "looking" they have a list of kids to see or evaluate while in town.  The really good recruiters make a few extra stops if time allows.  UNT does the same thing, they came to TC once last spring to check on Gibbs and a few other kids.  Came back when they could talk to them during spring ball, invited Jaxon to their camp where Reff could look at him with his own eyes outside of the tape.  They liked what they saw and offered.  These coaches can't just drive to every HS in Tx just to say they've been on campus.  Should they try and find a way to get on local campuses sure, if time allows and they can do it in the spring.  

I wish more more people knew how the recruiting process worked.  Dang near every school in the country puts their DFW recruiter or two on a plane lands at DFW and in 25-30 minutes that coach can hit just about any part of DFW.  DFW is so picked over in regards to talent that I had a SHSU coach come through told me a kid who they and several other FCS level coaches had pinned for FCS, snatched up 4 FBS offers the week prior.  Why?  Bc DFW is easy to recruit hop in a car like the tape fight for kid, offer.  The reality is if we want the kind of kids it's going to take to win, we're gunna have to find the Hamilton type kids, Darden/Siggers, Fine.  That isn't happening in DFW it just isn't with any type of regularity.  Yes I put Siggers in there bc it can happen, it just won't too often. 

• Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, GMG24 said:

Let me make sure I am understanding this correctly.  You're mad we didn't look at a kid who got a PWO spot, and in the same breath are pissed we aren't showing up to schools because "every big12 school is showing up".  Those big12 schools don't just meander school to school "looking" they have a list of kids to see or evaluate while in town.  The really good recruiters make a few extra stops if time allows.  UNT does the same thing, they came to TC once last spring to check on Gibbs and a few other kids.  Came back when they could talk to them during spring ball, invited Jaxon to their camp where Reff could look at him with his own eyes outside of the tape.  They liked what they saw and offered.  These coaches can't just drive to every HS in Tx just to say they've been on campus.  Should they try and find a way to get on local campuses sure, if time allows and they can do it in the spring.  

I wish more more people knew how the recruiting process worked.  Dang near every school in the country puts their DFW recruiter or two on a plane lands at DFW and in 25-30 minutes that coach can hit just about any part of DFW.  DFW is so picked over in regards to talent that I had a SHSU coach come through told me a kid who they and several other FCS level coaches had pinned for FCS, snatched up 4 FBS offers the week prior.  Why?  Bc DFW is easy to recruit hop in a car like the tape fight for kid, offer.  The reality is if we want the kind of kids it's going to take to win, we're gunna have to find the Hamilton type kids, Darden/Siggers, Fine.  That isn't happening in DFW it just isn't with any type of regularity.  Yes I put Siggers in there bc it can happen, it just won't too often. 

Or simply out recruit the 100 or so DFW kids that sign G5 scholarships. I like that method much more. 

I think most people know kids that have 3+ P5 offers will be going P5. Not always, but usually. I get not to spend valuable time on those guys. Drop a hook, if nothing bites, move on. But the kids that have 4-5-6-7 G5 offers that we can never consistently recruit with success, those are the one's we have to get better at landing. Trying to win by finding these diamonds in the rough is such an inconsistent plan that will render sporadic results. To suggest that is THE way to go is blasphemy. How many Mason Fine's do you really think are out there? Offensively, in this system, it's easier to recruit in comparison to a pro-style format. The meat doesn't have to be there, the technique can be flawed, the QB will have ample opportunities to redeem himself, etc. etc. Defensively, living how we're living, is bad. We have to recruit much better to that side of that ball starting yesterday. How many 1 score games do you think we'll keep winning? And it's 100% due to the defense, or lack thereof. These games could go the other way next year with Mason Fine throwing for 3500 yards and we end up 5-7. Because, defense. Gotta get better. And it's got to start with the players we're bringing in. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Or simply out recruit the 100 or so DFW kids that sign G5 scholarships. I like that method much more. 

I think most people know kids that have 3+ P5 offers will be going P5. Not always, but usually. I get not to spend valuable time on those guys. Drop a hook, if nothing bites, move on. But the kids that have 4-5-6-7 G5 offers that we can never consistently recruit with success, those are the one's we have to get better at landing. Trying to win by finding these diamonds in the rough is such an inconsistent plan that will render sporadic results. To suggest that is THE way to go is blasphemy. How many Mason Fine's do you really think are out there? Offensively, in this system, it's easier to recruit in comparison to a pro-style format. The mean doesn't have to be there, the technique can be flawed, the QB will have ample opportunities to redeem himself, etc. etc. Defensively, living how we're living, is bad. We have to recruit much better to that side of that ball starting yesterday. How many 1 score games do you think we'll keep winning? And it's 100% due to the defense, or lack thereof. These games could go the other way next year with Mason Fine throwing for 3500 yards and we end up 5-7. Because, defense. Gotta get better. And it's got to start with the players we're bringing in. 

There is no argument from me we have to win more battles than we are now,  however  we really do need to win more for some kids to take us seriously.  DFW kids have so much access to additional technique training, outside their HS coaches most DFW kids are about as close to being ready to play college ball as you can be.  Take the same kid move them to Hamiltons town, or locust grove, or east Tx.  The resources aren't there.  Sure they may have a trainer here's or there but not the 40+ like we have in DFW, heck even Houston is starting to really blow up in terms of skills guys helping elevate a kids game.  

1 hour ago, MGNation92 said:

Lol good lord you're still pushing that kid from SLC huh? Sorry your buddy's kid didn't get an offer. We're 8-3 with the guys this staff wanted. If they thought he would help them they would have offered, as they would with every other kid out there. 

I'm all about criticizing the staff where the lack, which in my opinion is still recruiting, but to hold a personal grudge over a friend's kid is petty as hell. 

He likely has to hear about every time he wants some upper-middle class suburban divorce' nookie. I could see that being annoying

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

19 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

I haven't heard anything from sl that says he is staying.   I know most time it is just lip service but the silence worries me. I sure he won't say he is leaving until after the bowl game.

Most times, coaches announce at the conclusion of the regular season, in our case after the FAU game. 

I doubt he is going anywhere. I am in tune with not just North Texas college football but all of college football. "I am a big UF fan" after all. Something would've fell into my lap that said he is a legitimate candidate for X opening. I have seen nothing. 

• Downvote 1

43 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Most times, coaches announce at the conclusion of the regular season, in our case after the FAU game. 

I doubt he is going anywhere. I am in tune with not just North Texas college football but all of college football. "I am a big UF fan" after all. Something would've fell into my lap that said he is a legitimate candidate for X opening. I have seen nothing. 

Well, I guess I can now cross "keep Seth Littrell" off my letter to Santa...No athletic directors have told Ben Gooding that they're gonna hire him.  😒

• Haha 1

You know all our commentary here about his recruiting thus far? 

Big program ADs will have the same question.

A big donor at a P5 would throw an absolute fit if they brought in SL at THIS point in his career.

2 years from now maybe....but hiring him away now would be insane

And maybe the competitive drive and desire to prove others wrong that Vito alluded to will make Littrell think: "screw the P5, I'm gonna stay and build UNT because everyone says I won't" 

Let's go with that...

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Is this you?  Upvote!  

We need "ALL" our fans to come to the MG family dinner table.  Now we can officially  have a food fight!

Welcome back from your sabbatical!  I've had to take a few thru the years to keep my sanity from those who kept rubber stamping mediocrity & pay raises for such.🤷🏻‍♂️

WE ARE... NORTH TEXAS & NewDenton  (and there's no turning back now)!

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, aztecskin said:

Dana thinks so and that’s why there have been tons of articles about it but sure, guy. 

508DB0A3-E18B-4296-B3FF-AE3DA095F1D2.jpeg

If 494 yards of offense and 36.7 points per game is struggling to you, I want UNT to struggle a little more on offense....guy.  

The 434 yards and 30 points allowed per game is what is doing them in. Their defense, yardage wise, is worse than UNT's. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

And landed no other QB recruit, the TOP priority for that class. Fine got an offer because more highly recruited players said no. 

And thank god. 

But it still doesn’t change the fact that Littrell fell into this. Where Littrell should get credit is for sticking with Fine until something clicked after the Iowa game. 

Eh.

1. His ties to the Locuat Grove guy got him the call which is valuableand part of the package when looking up a HC — his ties. I’ll take this kind of luck any day. 

2. This kid you keep pushing — why didn’t he walk on at NT? 

6 hours ago, UNT90 said:

Good Lord. Revisionist history much? They didn’t find Fine, Fine’s coaches found them. They were desperately trying to find Fine a FBS scholarship. Littrell was desperate after not being able to find a QB his first class and knowing that he had maybe one QB on the roster that was worth an FBS scholarship. 

Two desperate parties got together and made a magical match. 

Glad Littrell took that call. 

Almost 27,000 at Apogee other night (minus Army faithful)  are glad SL accepted that call from Locust Grove.  

A Tulsa Golden Hurricane beat writer now wonders why they didn't recruit Fine. 

(Is this Heaven or Iowa going on here of late)?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

If 494 yards of offense and 36.7 points per game is struggling to you, I want UNT to struggle a little more on offense....guy.  

The 434 yards and 30 points allowed per game is what is doing them in. 

Nah.

He was just quoted as saying the offense is a major concern. Spavital has had questionable play calls and despite the overall decent statistics  they have been situationally bad. 

Again, my point isn’t what YOU think the problem is, but the guy that hires and fires OCs. And so let’s see what Dana H thinks:

From 247:

> West Virginia fell to Texas on Saturday, scoring only 14 points, seven of which came from the defense. This followed back-to-back games where the Mountaineers did not score a single point in the second half, something unheard of for an offense that is expected to be so prolific. Head Coach Dana Holgorsen says the issues are wide spread.

> "We have a hard time blocking. We have a hard time completing passes. We have a hard time getting open," said Holgorsen in his post game presser. "We're not very efficient. Our third downs are horrible. We can't finish drives in the red zone."

Just now, aztecskin said:

Nah.

He was just quoted as saying the offense is a major concern. Spavital has had questionable play calls and despite the overall decent statistics  they have been situationally bad. 

Again, my point isn’t what YOU think the problem is, but the guy that hires and fires OCs. And so let’s see what Dana H thinks:

From 247:

> West Virginia fell to Texas on Saturday, scoring only 14 points, seven of which came from the defense. This followed back-to-back games where the Mountaineers did not score a single point in the second half, something unheard of for an offense that is expected to be so prolific. Head Coach Dana Holgorsen says the issues are wide spread.

> "We have a hard time blocking. We have a hard time completing passes. We have a hard time getting open," said Holgorsen in his post game presser. "We're not very efficient. Our third downs are horrible. We can't finish drives in the red zone."

He's just scape goating. WVU has some loyalist fans and maybe they're growing weary of Holgerson? I wouldn't blame them if they were. And he's spitting out excuses just to get by for the time being. 

As for your quotes, one of the best quarterbacks in the Big12 broke his hand at the 5:50 mark of the 1st quarter. Of course they were going to struggle the remainder of this game. 

• Downvote 1

Why are you all accepting the narrative that Fine was not recruited by the staff but was a phone call (which no one actually does in the modern age) to the staff from the high school coach? “Oops never heard of the two time POY in the neighboring state! Thanks for the call, coach!”

Why would anyone listen to this bullshit? Heading to a 9-10 win season and he pops in to slam the staff and you guys eat it up.

• Upvote 4

4 hours ago, GMG24 said:

There is no argument from me we have to win more battles than we are now,  however  we really do need to win more for some kids to take us seriously.  DFW kids have so much access to additional technique training, outside their HS coaches most DFW kids are about as close to being ready to play college ball as you can be.  Take the same kid move them to Hamiltons town, or locust grove, or east Tx.  The resources aren't there.  Sure they may have a trainer here's or there but not the 40+ like we have in DFW, heck even Houston is starting to really blow up in terms of skills guys helping elevate a kids game.  

When I here kids who went to Baylor tell people they would have been interested in UNT, but were never contacted, and those kids think it’s odd that UNT never came to their school, that catches my attention, no matter how the process works.

• Downvote 2

2 minutes ago, UNT90 said:

When I here kids who went to Baylor tell people they would have been interested in UNT, but were never contacted, and those kids think it’s odd that UNT never came to their school, that catches my attention, no matter how the process works.

Lol to that... you want anything to do with a kid the old Baylor regime wanted? 

47 minutes ago, 97and03 said:

Why are you all accepting the narrative that Fine was not recruited by the staff but was a phone call (which no one actually does in the modern age) to the staff from the high school coach? “Oops never heard of the two time POY in the neighboring state! Thanks for the call, coach!”

Why would anyone listen to this bullshit? Heading to a 9-10 win season and he pops in to slam the staff and you guys eat it up.

Lol. The fact that you think I’m “slamming the staff” is quite comical. I actually complimented them for realizing very early the potential that Fine has. 

If I cared to dig, I could probably find the local paper article that described Fine’s recruitment, but I don’t. You can keep on believing that the first thing Littrell did when he got here is say to himself “gee, I gotta go to Oklahoma and get that kid that zero other FBS schools have offered.” I mean, that’s so much more likely, right?

Why the dumbest fanbase in college football can’t get that everything Littrell (or any staff) does isn’t perfect never ceases to amaze. Guess what, he isn’t perfect, and his recruiting has been far from it. If that doesn’t get better, this will be Mac 2.0. 

Now, go ahead, do what the dumbest fanbase in America does and kill the messenger. 

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4