DCTF Power Poll

Cerebus

6 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I think it's graded on a scale taking into consideration how they do against their opponents.

One good question they should ask:  Is Mason is the best college quarterback in the state of Texas?  

Can we get the University of start a Mason Fine for Heisman campaign for next year?  Very little chance of getting traction, but would be cool....maybe even get some ESPN recognition.....

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I think it's graded on a scale taking into consideration how they do against their opponents.

One good question they should ask:  Is Mason is the best college quarterback in the state of Texas?  

Great question. I would love to know their opinion on that.

18 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

He's definitely become a very good one. Last year he was definitely still making freshman mistakes, but this year it's very, very rare when something happens where I'd give him the blame.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

6 minutes ago, dmaxel said:

He's definitely become a very good one. Last year he was definitely still making freshman mistakes, but this year it's very, very rare when something happens where I'd give him the blame.

He makes the occasional throw where he tries to force the ball somewhere that he shouldn't, but the amount of mistakes he has made this year are way down. I don't know the stats, but I would venture to say that he makes 80% less mistakes than he did last year. He has adjusted nicely. If he progresses next year like he did this year, he is going to be one of the best ever in Texas college football and not just North Texas.

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Venson said:

If he progresses next year like he did this year, he is going to be one of the best ever in Texas college football and not just North Texas.

This can't be true.  You do realize he's too short and he came from a tiny school in Oklahoma don't you???  Not to mention we were his only FBS offer.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 2
  • Downvote 2

I believe that Fine may be the best quarterback in Texas.  Tech's Nic Shimonek has a slightly higher Rating but Mason's coolness under fire and leadership put him at another level.  

Inch for inch and pound for pound there's none better.  

Edited by GrayEagle
  • Upvote 4

I kept reiterating what a full off season & spring would do for 6. A kid with his work ethic & IQ was obviously going to take quantum leaps. People forget he was playing as a true Fresh about 30 days after arriving in Denton. Proud of the kid, not only one hell of a football player, but turning into a great ambassador for our University.

• Upvote 5

11 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Man I will say the Army game was put away before halftime if he doesn’t throw that INT inside the 10 yard line. 

Agree. As great as Mason was all game, that may have been the worst pass/decision he’s made the entire year. That said, he more than made up for it with his play in the 2nd half. He’s a remarkable player.

• Upvote 2

20 hours ago, MeanGreen_MBA said:

Can we get the University of start a Mason Fine for Heisman campaign for next year?  Very little chance of getting traction, but would be cool....maybe even get some ESPN recognition.....

Remember how awesome everyone thought MTSU was for doing HicksForHeisman?

Neither do I.

• Thanks 1

Harrell threw for 5700 yards and 48 TDs his junior year, and there was no campaign and he wasn't in the running.

His senior year, Tech launched strong campaigns for him and Crabtree. Harrell completed 70% of his passes for 5100 yards and 45 TDs (only 9INTs).  He also played the final regular season game with two shattered fingers, and was on his way to breaking the TD record. He came in distant 4th in voting and wasn't invited to the ceremony.

We're not in the Big12, so just consider what it took to get Harrell attention and then think of what it would take to get it for Fine here. I'm not saying NO, but I don't think his numbers this year would justify a campaign next year. 

• Sad 1

5700 yards is asinine. It's a true air raid with a huge emphasis on the air in air raid. 

I suspect us to throw the ball much more next year given the graduation of Wilson and the further development of Fine. I see Nic Smith as a scat back/3rd down back that will be an every down back for us. He fits the mold of a RB in the air raid. Jeff Wilson, not so much. His running style demands carries, and he's delivered. I expect to see that shift into the true air raid next year and it should be fun to watch defenses trying to stop it. 

10 hours ago, Green Lantern said:

Agree. As great as Mason was all game, that may have been the worst pass/decision he’s made the entire year. That said, he more than made up for it with his play in the 2nd half. He’s a remarkable player.

His worst was throwing it to Guyton instead of out of bounds..  left Guyton out to dry on that big hit 

• Downvote 4