Mitch Maher joins in praise of Fine

Harry

On 11/19/2017 at 7:34 PM, akriesman said:

The strangest thing I remember from the Mitch Maher days was his number.  You just don't see many (or any) QB's with the number 23.

And yes, he was a terrific QB for us,

It's a Plano HS thing. For the most part Plano QB's have worn RB numbers. I don't know when it started, but when my HS (Decatur) played them starting in 1965, their QB's wore RB numbers. 

I don't know if he was replicating his HS number, but 23 is a good number for a North Texas player. 

Bernard Jackson wore it. Monty Moon, wore it. And Mitch wore it.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, SilverEagle said:

It's a Plano HS thing. For the most part Plano QB's have worn RB numbers. I don't know when it started, but when my HS (Decatur) played them starting in 1965, their QB's wore RB numbers. 

I don't know if he was replicating his HS number, but 23 is a good number for a North Texas player. 

Bernard Jackson wore it. Monty Moon, wore it. And Mitch wore it.

In a certain string of Wing T teams (e.g. Permian and Temple during my time) The numerals are based on the play calls..e.g...18 sweep for tailbacks (they wear teens), 38 sweep for fullbacks (they wear thirties), 43 counter for wingbacks (they wore 40s) and the varieties of qb plays were 20s (qbs alternated wearing 20 and 25).    Centers wore 50s, guards wore 60s and tackles wore 70s.  Very old school and fun.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, tmjerm said:

In a certain string of Wing T teams (e.g. Permian and Temple during my time) The numerals are based on the play calls..e.g...18 sweep for tailbacks (they wear teens), 38 sweep for fullbacks (they wear thirties), 43 counter for wingbacks (they wore 40s) and the varieties of qb plays were 20s (qbs alternated wearing 20 and 25).    Centers wore 50s, guards wore 60s and tackles wore 70s.  Very old school and fun.

Well, Plano may have run a wing-T formation earlier in their history. And that might have been the basis for their tradition of QB's wearing a RB number. All I know is that when we played Plano in the mid-late 60's they ran the newest rage,  the I-formation. 

• Upvote 1