DRC Sunday column: Littrell has been great for UNT, too great to be around long

Brett Vito

Yeah, and one day we are all going to kick the bucket, too, but we don't dwell on that subject.

Why does this "O God we're going to lose our HFC"  theme persist?  It's gotten enough over-kill on this forum that has 14,000(?) members.   We are most all astute enough college football fans to know whose hot & whose not.  Coaches come--Coaches go. 

Lets get back to discussing what shade of green we use or the correct letter fonts for our next UNT branding as discussed ad nauseam during the losing years?  (just kidding).

GMG!

ps:  I couldn't be more excited for our future football program with just a few in-house organizational  tweaks.  We also getting our HFC's pay up to put us in a new level of those who apply for our job when at some point we start looking again.  ➡️ Except for  about 15 Super NCAA FBS football programs the balance of the rest will always have to replace a HFC sometimes.

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, meaniegreenie said:

Translation:

"UNT's new coach has this team doing well.  I hope he leaves so they can suck again."

At best this is a story that's appropriate at the end of the season or during off-season.  Not right now.

There isn't a chance in hell that Brett wants North Texas athletics to suck...he's seen enough shitty sports covering us over the years and he obviously wants them to be good so he can enjoy his work even more. 

This article is just reality...we wanted our programs to win and this one is in good fashion...with the coaching carousel that's in CFB these days it just comes with the territory when G5's and lower P5's have really nice success.

• Upvote 4
  • Haha 1
  • Confused 2
  • Downvote 3

5 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

There isn't a chance in hell that Brett wants North Texas athletics to suck...he's seen enough shitty sports covering us over the years and he obviously wants them to be good so he can enjoy his work even more. 

This article is just reality...we wanted our programs to win and this one is in good fashion...with the coaching carousel that's in CFB these days it just comes with the territory when G5's and lower P5's have really nice success.

But 2 years of success?  We a bit premature here?

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

35 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

Reason he would stay at least another year is because of the returning talent! Arkansas, Tech could be a worry. Sumlin fired contact him immediately! GMG 

I think if the Tech job was to come open they would go a different direction. Tech's problem has not been a lack of high powered offenses but rather an inability to stop the other teams. I think they will go for a more defensive minded HC.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

But 2 years of success? 

I'd never rule it out...coaches have left after 1 or 2 seasons for bigger/better programs and get more money.  I'm not saying it'll happen...I hope it doesn't of course but this article is just the nature of the beast that I don't mind because it means' we're doing something good!

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, djohnnie said:

Maybe Brett is wrong? Wren Baker spoke after the game what a great rapport he and Littrell have. He spoke about them wanting to build something special here at NT. Does that all go out the door with bigger dollars? We will see if Littrell wants to build a program or just move on. Time will tell I suspect.  I will say one thing,  I trust Baker to do everything possible to keep him here.  If not, I trust he will make a solid hire like he did with the bball coach. When you have people in position of authority who are knowledgeable and can make wise hires, the train will keep rolling.  I wouldn't have had that same trust under Villareal. GMG

Well stated, sir.

GMG!

• Lovely Take 1

13 minutes ago, Green Mean said:

Yes, it is reality; but it is certainly not news that needs to be repeated at every opportunity.    

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

25 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

I think if the Tech job was to come open they would go a different direction. Tech's problem has not been a lack of high powered offenses but rather an inability to stop the other teams. I think they will go for a more defensive minded HC.

Superstitious old timers at Texas Tech may also remember last time they hired a 2 year (.500 W/L) Coach from North Texas.  Didn't really work out for them, but Jerry Moore did go onto a successful career at Appalachian State. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

42 minutes ago, djohnnie said:

Maybe Brett is wrong? Wren Baker spoke after the game what a great rapport he and Littrell have. 

Do you really think Wren Baker has any plans to be here for the long haul?   He wants to move on to the next rung.  That is the downside of hiring young up and comers, but compared to the alternative, it is worth it.  

To move on to the next rung, WB/SL/GM/Etc have to win and win big.  Let's hope they can win enough for people to want them. 

Some on here have already expressed this sentiment, but why do we have to automatically accept that Littrell is leaving. I completely get that he probably will, but does that mean we can't try and at least put together the absolute best incentive package possible and give it a go if he starts receiving offers. 

I can't say that I'd blame SL for leaving, whenever P5 suitors come-a-knocking, but I hope leadership is able to make the choice very difficult for him. If we're as serious about athletics as we say we are now, we need to be willing to match any offer. It might be just the financial part of what the big schools can offer, but if we make a good case, and he chooses to leave, more power to him. Can't fault a guy for trying to make his way in life. 

With that said, if I were a SEC or Big12 AD, I'd wait another year or two for him. As much as I love this team, they have overperformed at times. I think a bigger sample size would tell us more about Seth and what he brings to the table.

• Upvote 2