Rico Bussey Jr.

golfingomez

1 hour ago, Withers940 said:

When I️ read the topic line, I️ was like....”Oh Shit! Please don’t be in jail or injured” LOL

I pronounce it like the actors name

I saw the topic and thought "oh good someone wants to talk football instead of the AD or HC leaving, how many top 25 votes we might get in two weeks or two years, uniforms, or attendance"

...but alas, no. 

So I will. To circle back to the thread on the run game, I think Bussey has been an unsung hero in the run game. On several long runs I have seen number 8 out on the edge fending off a DB as Wilson gains yards. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

1 hour ago, 97and03 said:

I think Bussey has been an unsung hero in the run game. On several long runs I have seen number 8 out on the edge fending off a DB as Wilson gains yards. 

This, and similarly Mike Lawrence in the passing game. It seems like every time we are in a jam, or third and long, Fine and Lawrence connect to bail us out.

Edited by MeanGreenDan
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

is Guyton hurt?  I know the teams are keying on him but with his talents he should still be catching a lot  more catches.  I know the other receivers have stepped up but we need the ball in Guyton's hands.

Not at all, he is fine.. it just seems like Mason isn’t trusting Guyton to separate from the man to man he is facing. LT pushed him a lot and I wonder if that what is happening and he is just having to practice to improve. 

I do wish they would motion Guyton more like they did vs UTSA and even have him out of the slot just to see if you can get him in a match up with a LB.

also, don’t think it hurts Rico/Lawrence have been with Fine for semester longer than Guyton.

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

15 hours ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

it just seems like Mason isn’t trusting Guyton to separate from the man to man he is facing.

This is wholly, totally, completely incorrect. Rewatch the games.

Fine has keys to identify, and he's rushing them because UTSA gave everyone the template to blitz Fine nearly all the time. Fine doesn't have the opportunity to look Guyton's way, nor is he going to just watch and wait for him to get open. He's got 3-4 other dudes that are *also* open that Fine identifies first and reacts.

This is on the oline and game flow, not Fine, not Guyton. Lawrence iirc, and Bussey have had hundred yard games for this reason. If you shutdown Guyton, then this offense is built to look some other way and still be successful.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, Aldo said:

This is wholly, totally, completely incorrect. Rewatch the games.

Fine has keys to identify, and he's rushing them because UTSA gave everyone the template to blitz Fine nearly all the time. Fine doesn't have the opportunity to look Guyton's way, nor is he going to just watch and wait for him to get open. He's got 3-4 other dudes that are *also* open that Fine identifies first and reacts.

This is on the oline and game flow, not Fine, not Guyton. Lawrence iirc, and Bussey have had hundred yard games for this reason. If you shutdown Guyton, then this offense is built to look some other way and still be successful.

Plenty of chances when vs LT that Guyton was 1 on 1 vs a True-Freshman.. Throw it up to him and let him make a play... Ashton in a past podcast even talked about him talking with Guyton saying he needs to improve on press and being double covered... 

Yes fine is getting pressured, but again.. You have a p5 WR vs CUSA CBs.. Guyton should not be going long stretches of not getting or seeing targets.. I get the idea of going to other open guys, but you have to open it up every once and awhile, just like they did with Rico.. Guyton should be getting plays specifically designed for him.. He was single-handly the passing game vs USM with 14/15 catches, with our next pass-catcher getting getting 2/3/4.. Had the TDs vs SMU, Iowa among other games? This offense was more explosive when he was getting his looks and he has been under-used in since UTSA. 

6 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

By most comments made it seems that Guyton "has" the most talent. Look at most teams and the try and get the ball in the hands of playmakers. Personally, I would like to see him get more touches whatever it takes.

Agreed, Guyton should be getting more touches, followed by Lawerence/Rico then so on... If teams have to respect Guyton, it opens it up for Wilson

1 minute ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Plenty of chances when vs LT that Guyton was 1 on 1 vs a True-Freshman.. Throw it up to him and let him make a play... Ashton in a past podcast even talked about him talking with Guyton saying he needs to improve on press and being double covered... 

Yes fine is getting pressured, but again.. You have a p5 WR vs CUSA CBs.. Guyton should not be going long stretches of not getting or seeing targets.. I get the idea of going to other open guys, but you have to open it up every once and awhile, just like they did with Rico.. Guyton should be getting plays specifically designed for him.. He was single-handly the passing game vs USM with 14/15 catches, with our next pass-catcher getting getting 2/3/4.. Had the TDs vs SMU, Iowa among other games? This offense was more explosive when he was getting his looks and he has been under-used in since UTSA. 

I'll rephrase what I said. Guyton is getting open just fine. He isn't having trouble beating press coverage. He was getting open against UTEP. But by the time he was finishing his route, Fine was scrambling or had already passed it. The o-line is getting constant pressure, and Fine is forced to throw to different places based on defensive keys. Additionally, when Fine has been launching them deep, he's been short. That needs to be addressed as well.

I agree that they should put Guyton in different situations, but that's what they've been doing with Bussey/Lawrence/Darden. So they're keeping Guyton deep because the other guys can get the job done underneath.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2