UNT Athletic Facilities Master Plan Information for BOR Meeting 11.16.17

Harry

UNT Board of Regents meeting that’s coming up on Thursday and Friday of this week (11.16.17) has some information on the Athletic Facilities Master Plan starting on Page 184 (linked to PDF version below) which shows the map which has been enlarged here.  Thanks go out to a good friend of the site who was kind enough to share this info with us. GMG

https://www.untsystem.edu/sites/default/files/BoR-meetings/11.16-17.17_boardbook.pdf

image.png

42051048-d887-4fd5-98d8-50b40977bdb1.png

1 minute ago, Wag Tag said:

They have changed the Athletic Center, not connected to the IPF? I hope we have the $$$$ to really beef up the weight room and training facility. It will look great. 

It has been said that they would "ideally" like to connect it and that is likely the long-term goal (no idea why its not posted) but they didn't have the current funding to connect it as of now.. Meaning it would be connected in the future

1 minute ago, NorthTexan95 said:

I'm just glad they turned the direction so fans wouldn't have to stare into the afternoon sun.  

Looks like a grassy tailgate area.  I wonder if this would be in addition to the hill or replace it. 

Hopefully I can explain this thought clear enough.. But I would think the Hill-Tailgating still stays with the Frats and likely the people who currently tailgate/park at fouts taking over the present day Red/blue lots... the current Red/Blue tailgaters, I would assume move to the new tailgating area... I'm also going to assume one of the biggest issues is fans going from Red/Blue lots to gates 1 and 2. 

13 minutes ago, oldguystudent said:

I can vaguely read basketball and volleyball in the arena description.

Didn't even notice that, thanks...

Also, props to the people that said they were looking at replacing the Superpit this time last year. 

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1

5 minutes ago, Wag Tag said:

It looks like they are moving the big video board. I was told they wanted to open up the deck and put vid boards in each corner of the Stadium! GMG 

Are they moving the board or setting up third board similar to the one in the corner that's already there?  There appears to be something new by the end zone video board in yellow.

Or perhaps they want to move the end zone video board to one corner and replace the other board to match the first.  

Inquiring minds want to know. 

Edited by NorthTexan95
  • Upvote 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Are they moving the board or setting up third board similar to the one in the corner that's already there?  Or perhaps they want to move the end zone video board to one corner and replace the other board to match the first.  

No idea if im just seeing things, or hoping.. But if you look where they have the new video board marked, its a light yellow.. and they do it in the 4 corners of Apogee... 

--------------------------------------

Question for everyone... I'm assuming this is being sent to BOR for them to approve the new plan.. Really hope/wish that the AD office does a presentation to fans once its approved... Really think they could potentially pick up somemore donations potentially and give fans another sense of improvement. 

Edited by BTG_Fan1
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

4 minutes ago, NorthTexan95 said:

Are they moving the board or setting up third board similar to the one in the corner that's already there?  There appears to be something new by the end zone video board in yellow.

Or perhaps they want to move the end zone video board to one corner and replace the other board to match the first.  

The idea is to put a videoboard in each corner and possibly sound as well.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Also, props to the people that said they were looking at replacing the Superpit this time last year. 

Just remember that "Mid Term" means "We don't have the money for it yet."

The leadership, life skills, etiquete, and mentor program sounds like a very nice add.  Recruit parents will love it.  

Thought page 46 was interesting:

RECRUITING CHALLENGES AT UNT
• Brand and reputation in the marketplace – both external and among our own
constituents.
• Competition in the marketplace.
• Facilities – specifically those that impact day to day development of studentathletes
(academic center, weight room, sports medicine, nutrition).
• Budgets 

3 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

IPF to be slated to start in 2018, end 2019?  

Looks like yes:

PROGRAMMING/PLANNING:  December 2016 – September 2017 

DESIGN:   December 2017 – June 2018  

CONSTRUCTION:   June 2018 – July 2019 

SUBSTANTIAL COMPLETION:   June 2019 

2 minutes ago, Christopher Walker said:

This BOR agenda is chock full of goodies. @Cerebus, you noice the combined Endowments are up to $300M+?

Saw that, good progress but still a long way to go.  

This is exciting stuff!!!  I prefer a facelift to the Pit.  Especially since it is basketball, walkability from the dorms to the arena is a big deal for attendance on those weeknight games.  I love our athletic facility progress but i hate that they and our beuatiful campus are cut right in two by the busiest thoroughfare in the Western Hemisphere.  The bridge was such an important creation but it’s still a hell of a walk from Kerr or Welch/Maple St. houses. 

Also....BASEBALL! 

Edited by tmjerm
  • Upvote 3

* BOR meeting minutes show authorization to pursue Eminent Domain process for IHOP and McDonalds locations on I35E. 

1 minute ago, tmjerm said:

This is exciting stuff!!!  I prefer a facelift to the Pit.

Pit is getting a facelift right now.  

2 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

The bridge was such an important creation but it’s still a hell of a walk from Kerr or Welch/Maple St. houses. 

Building a real nice pathway from the pedestrian bridge through the center of campus is a big part of the master plan.  Since:

• A bus transfer terminal is being built at Fouts,
  • a Science Building is going up where the Terrill Hall Parking lot is now,
  • a Lab Research building is going up where the large Eagle parking lot by EESAT is now,
  • a new Art building currently going up where the old Art FS parking lot is now, 
  • A new residence hall is going up where more student parking is now on the boundary of campus...

....it is pretty clear fewer and fewer people are going to be parking on the campus side of I35 in the future.  Plan is obviously to have people park on the other side... or even to park out at Research Park and bus to campus. 

6 minutes ago, tmjerm said:

Also....BASEBALL! 

Just remember "Long Term" means "we don't have the money and don't even have a half way decent idea how to get it."

39 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

* BOR meeting minutes show authorization to pursue Eminent Domain process for IHOP and McDonalds locations on I35E. 

Pit is getting a facelift right  now

Are we thinking that is bandaid to an upcoming new basketball arena based on this report though

44 minutes ago, Cerebus said:

Just remember "Long Term" means "we don't have the money and don't even have a half way decent idea how to get it."

I get it, still exciting to see included 

1 hour ago, tmjerm said:

This is exciting stuff!!!  I prefer a facelift to the Pit.  Especially since it is basketball, walkability from the dorms to the arena is a big deal for attendance on those weeknight games.  

It’s more affective to just build a new area. The Superpit is getting outdated and is having to be updated with thinks like ADA laws, etc.. Yes it is grandfathered in on somethings, but those are eventually going to have to be updated. Also, having it on the athletics side allows for more space on an already cramped UNT campus. The building of a new “Superpit” will allow for it to hopefully be used more (outside of B-ball and VBall) and for more events as well. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3