Bowl Projections 11/12/2017

unt_rocket09

ESPN & CFN say... it's the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Army.

I just don't see it.  The administration and the bowl want to sell as many tickets as possible. I don't think a rematch 1 month later in the same market is best way to sell more tickets.

I think the conferences will flip spots, which the bowl projections will never be able to predict or show.  I still think its Heart of Dallas or Frisco.

Edited by shaft
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

9 minutes ago, shaft said:

ESPN & CFN say... it's the Armed Forces Bowl vs. Army.

I just don't see it.  The administration and the bowl want to sell as many tickets as possible. I don't think a rematch 1 month later in the same market is best way to sell more tickets.

I think the conferences will flip spots, which the bowl projections will never be able to predict or show.  I still think its Heart of Dallas or Frisco.

Plenty of fans will come if it’s a rematch.. look at how many come out of the woodwork for the HoD last year.. and I’m sure almost all of us will go to the bowl no matter what, even if it’s Army again..

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

19 minutes ago, wardly said:

ULL is 4 & 5 and must win 2 of last 3 to be bowl eligible. Why we want to play a middling Sun Belt team?[see what winning the West does to your expectations]. I have been to New Orleans 4 times, to the HOD twice, and would like a change of locations. I would love to play Army in Ft. Worth, but barring that Albuquerque against either SDSU or CSU looks a greater challenge that U La La. Also, it seems that bowl matchups are more about television that butts in the seat, otherwise we would be in Dallas or Ft. Worth, UAB in Birmingham,New Mexico State in Albuquerque, etc.

Agree.

If we’re going to the NO Bowl, it’s gonna be against ARSt.

• Downvote 1

3 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

Plenty of fans will come if it’s a rematch.. look at how many come out of the woodwork for the HoD last year.. and I’m sure almost all of us will go to the bowl no matter what, even if it’s Army again..

Not really the same situation.  True last year was a rematch, but the game was played on the East Coast in October and was our first bowl in a few years.  

Also why are the fans going to come for a rematch, especially if we win?

Tell me what's going to sell more tickets UNT vs. Army? K-State?  Houston?

29 minutes ago, shaft said:

Not really the same situation.  True last year was a rematch, but the game was played on the East Coast in October and was our first bowl in a few years.  

Also why are the fans going to come for a rematch, especially if we win?

Tell me what's going to sell more tickets UNT vs. Army? K-State?  Houston?

If it’s UNT in the Armed Forces, Houston/Kstate won’t be playing.. 

people would go because it’s UNT in a bowl, the last chance to see them play this year, hell a chance at 10 or 11 wins potentially.. the season people who never made it to a game last year then showed up for the bowl game.. 

UNT will have options for the bowl game.. WB/SL will pick the best one for them and the Program.. who cares if it’s vs Army, if anyone don’t like it don’t go.. I’m pretty sure someone who hasn’t made the trip to denton will be taking their spot. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

6 hours ago, Censored by Laurie said:

We had really good crowds in New Orleans before.

Those post-finals road trips for NOLA bowl run created some of the best college memories, win or losses, for those in school between 01-04...and I'd wager a guess that it created a loyalty that has carried over for many now in their mid 30s. 

Figure in what ULL would bring, and I think that'd create the best unt game experience...maybe ever. 

Were not at a point of caring too much about perception. 

Those New Orleans Bowls in the early 2000s made lifelong fans out of a lot of us.  There was something absolutely electric about wandering the streets of the French Quarter among droves of Mean Green fans--and seeing the local venues with banners out to welcome North Texas.

After 2004 I actually made it back to the New Orleans Bowl a few more times to watch other teams--purely out of nostalgia, I suppose.  I'll say this: if we have the opportunity to play ULL there, we should give it some serious thought.  Those Ragin' Cajuns are absolutely wild and can legitimately take over that city.

• Lovely Take 1

First of all,  NEW MEXICO STATE IS GOING TO A BOWL GAME? 

If bowl games are really about selling tickets then the best match up for the "powers that be" aka, the real decision makers is the Armed Forces bowl in Fort Worth.

You have (depending on who you talk to at NT) somewhere between 150K and 200K North Texas graduates (or former students) living the metroplex. That represents a large number of potential ticket buyers. And then between Fort Hood and all the retired military people living in the Fort Worth area, you have a lot of potential buyers on that side of the ledger. 

Plus, marketing this game will be much easier. 

It doesn't take a CPA to figure this one out.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, cdizzle86 said:

Listen to us. Little ole North Texas arguing about which bowl to play in. #WinningProblems :)

Exactly.🤠  

Upon further review, the opponent is as important as our bowl choice.  In that case, HOD would probably give us our best opponent.   

HOD again?   I remember while a kid in the Houston area when the Bluebonnet (then later Astro-Bluebonnet Bowl) was the only bowl game  the UH Coogs could get an invite.  Winning it a few times helped them to eventually get an SWC invite. 

Get bowl game--win bowl game.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

Army fan chiming in here .... Army has contractual agreement with Armed Forces Bowl this year so once they became eligible they accepted. 

ESPN has had us playing UNT since mid October ... I thought those guys were brain dead until I read this thread. Do you all think it really possible we would play again? A few other sources have us playing UTSA, Southern Miss or Marshall 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

17 minutes ago, ArmyFan1995 said:

Army fan chiming in here .... Army has contractual agreement with Armed Forces Bowl this year so once they became eligible they accepted. 

ESPN has had us playing UNT since mid October ... I thought those guys were brain dead until I read this thread. Do you all think it really possible we would play again? A few other sources have us playing UTSA, Southern Miss or Marshall 

I think it may be possible if UNT can't finish off FAU in the conference title game.   Otherwise, yeah, y'all are likely looking at SoMiss or UAB (whoever isn't in the N.O. Bowl).  UTSA would be a great opponent, but they are in serious jeopardy of not becoming bowl eligible (despite their 11-0 reco... wait, this just in... they're getting their rears kicked every weekend and are NOT 11-0!).

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Greendylan said:

Those Ragin' Cajuns are absolutely wild and can legitimately take over that city.

in '02 we literally shut down Bourbon Street...bouncers kicking everyone out, police on horseback keeping the crowds out of the road...if I recall, the football team had started a bit of a brawl. that was so pique-Dickey.

under-age CBL and his very poor fake ID thought he was going to jail.

• Upvote 2
  • Haha 3

SI has UAB playing Florida State in the Independence Bowl. At the same time, SI has us against Tech at HoD, same as sporting news. SN has So Miss playing Arizona State in the Independence Bowl. I like the way these two looked deeper into it. SI put conference affiliations into it and still had UNT at HoD. Only shocker with SI was they had FAU going to the Bahamas against N. Illinois.  

In all honesty, in this particular year, I care a whole lot more about the conference championship game than I do the bowl game.  

Which of the two following statements do you think will be more fondly remembered ten years from now?

1)  2017 Conference USA Champions

2) 2017 Spicy Tackis After Eating Mentos and Diet Shasta Boca Bahamas Rolaids Bowl Champions 

Until the day comes when we return to something like CUSA champs playing MWC champs in a specific bowl game that shows a champion among two conferences, then bowl games have become a beer swilling showcase of drunken fun for me, but they've little bearing on the status of a program unless we start going to NY6 bowls. 

Nonetheless, I'm genuinely bummed that I wasn't thinking my calendar through and booked my vacation the same week that all of our potential bowl games would be held.  I'm going to miss that experience this year, and will search high and low for a bar that shows it on TV so I can be there in spirit. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

5 minutes ago, greeneagle1 said:

SI has UAB playing Florida State in the Independence Bowl. At the same time, SI has us against Tech at HoD, same as sporting news. SN has So Miss playing Arizona State in the Independence Bowl. I like the way these two looked deeper into it. SI put conference affiliations into it and still had UNT at HoD. Only shocker with SI was they had FAU going to the Bahamas against N. Illinois.  

Tech ain't gonna make it to the HoD unless they beat Texas in Austin.  I'm betting HoD will be KSSt.

If FSU rolls into the Independence Bowl against a C-USA team, they'll be RIPE for an upset.  These dudes will be going through the motions and unmotivated to play there since they started the year ranked #3, and had their eyes set on the National Championship.   To fall that far... they're just not really gonna care.   This would be an AMAZING win/win game for UNT to play, because if you win... Holy Cow!! Recruits galore, greatest season of all time, we FINALLY beat the P5 we need to beat to get this thing rolling, etc...   If you lose,   Eh, it's friggin FSU, what did you expect?
Arizona State in the Independence Bowl makes ZERO sense, as you'd be assuming that both ACC & SEC don't have enough eligible teams to fill their slots.   But I'd love it that too.   

I would also assume that if C-USA has a chance to line up a team against a P5, they'd strongly encourage us and FAU to do so... that's why I'm thinking we'd have a crack at the Independence Bowl before SoMiss/UAB/Marshall/FIU.

And if FAU wins the C-USA championship, and gets shipped to the Bahamas Bowl...   what a waste of a fantastic year.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

39 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Tech ain't gonna make it to the HoD unless they beat Texas in Austin.  I'm betting HoD will be KSSt.

If FSU rolls into the Independence Bowl against a C-USA team, they'll be RIPE for an upset.  These dudes will be going through the motions and unmotivated to play there since they started the year ranked #3, and had their eyes set on the National Championship.   To fall that far... they're just not really gonna care.   This would be an AMAZING win/win game for UNT to play, because if you win... Holy Cow!! Recruits galore, greatest season of all time, we FINALLY beat the P5 we need to beat to get this thing rolling, etc...   If you lose,   Eh, it's friggin FSU, what did you expect?
Arizona State in the Independence Bowl makes ZERO sense, as you'd be assuming that both ACC & SEC don't have enough eligible teams to fill their slots.   But I'd love it that too.   

I would also assume that if C-USA has a chance to line up a team against a P5, they'd strongly encourage us and FAU to do so... that's why I'm thinking we'd have a crack at the Independence Bowl before SoMiss/UAB/Marshall/FIU.

And if FAU wins the C-USA championship, and gets shipped to the Bahamas Bowl...   what a waste of a fantastic year.

All good points. I really think FAU plays at home or in St. Pete vs USF. That would be a great match for them and the State of Florida. 

1 minute ago, greeneagle1 said:

All good points. I really think FAU plays at home or in St. Pete vs USF. That would be a great match for them and the State of Florida. 

Oh, I'd bet if FSU wound up in a Bowl they could play them in, it wouldn't matter where it is, Kiffin is lobbying hard to get his team there.

While we're dreaming though...   Could you imagine UNT winning an Independence Bowl against FSU, while FAU "only" beats USF?   It would be pretty great for their in-state recruiting pecking-order, but outside of that, it wouldnt get NEAR the attention UNT's upset gets.

• Upvote 1

Why would want to play a Sun Belt team in New Orleans when we can play a MWC opponent in Albuquerque? I realize that New Orleans is a great place to party, but I would rather not take the chance of losing to Troy,Ark. State, or App. State as we try to distance ourselves  from the Belt.I still would rather play Army in Ft. Worth, but a P5 opponent in HOD bowl might be OK.

• Thanks 4

5 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Oh, I'd bet if FSU wound up in a Bowl they could play them in, it wouldn't matter where it is, Kiffin is lobbying hard to get his team there.

While we're dreaming though...   Could you imagine UNT winning an Independence Bowl against FSU, while FAU "only" beats USF?   It would be pretty great for their in-state recruiting pecking-order, but outside of that, it wouldnt get NEAR the attention UNT's upset gets.

So my only concern is if we win the CUSA Title game, we get to pick from the affiliated CUSA Bowls. I assume we would not get to peak at the alternate bowls such as Indep, HoD, etc. I wonder what we pick, not knowing who the opponent may be. 

• Upvote 2

We’ll have a real good idea which bowl it is after next week, we just need to see what bowl reps show up.

Armed Forces Bowl will be there to “see” Army, so don’t read too much into that., unless they are the only one there.

We should know before it’s official on  Dec. 3rd.