North Texas Chant

Side Show Joe

I just see the video board as a good way to get the cheer started.  The crowd was on their own, very soon.  The crowd was into it, and that was so cool...And just like Ruston, our team responded!!!  So, I just hope we use the chant to our advantage, more than just once!  I will not be picky! When our crowd and our players are proud to be telling the world who we are...that is all I have ever wanted!

• Lovely Take 1

25 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Screw Stone Cold (Steve Williams). You want a recognizable person prompting the crowd to do the North Texas chant? That's easy......FFR. 

He needs to lead the chant:

U

N

T

EAGLES

FIGHT

FIGHT

FIGHT

Everybody already knows it and it’s a nice nod to our fight song.  Could even recycle the hand/arm gestures.  Should have been done a long time ago.  

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

2 hours ago, UNT 90 Grad said:

He needs to lead the chant:

U

N

T

EAGLES

FIGHT

FIGHT

FIGHT

Everybody already knows it and it’s a nice nod to our fight song.  Could even recycle the hand/arm gestures.  Should have been done a long time ago.  

Agree.

Back in 02' or 03' several of us alumna and students coordinated with one of the cheerleaders about doing a unified chant for the the N.O. Bowl.   He loved the idea.  So we supplied them with large signs of individual words for something similar to what you mentioned above.  Plus we had 5,000 copies printed up and handed out to fans coming into the dome before the game explaining, just in case it wasn't obvious what to do.

The chant was...

Go!

Mean!

Green!

Eagles!

Fight!

Fight!

Fight!

It has a 7 syllable beat, its quick and easy and includes our moniker from our fight song(Go Mean Green).  All you had to do was shout it out as a cheerleader quickly held up each individual sign.

I spent half of one of my days in New Orleans getting this all coordinated and set up and delivering the signs to the cheerleaders at their hotel lobby etc before game day.   All they had to do was get in a line and hold up the signs during a T.O. Or whatever?  

But right before game time the cheerleaders decided amongst themselves that they just didn't want to bother and scrapped the whole thing, wasting about $300 of material and a lot of people's time.  

Rick

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 2
  • Downvote 2

15 hours ago, Side Show Joe said:

Last night we had a great crowd and they were eager to get noisy. And, our team did an outstanding job of giving the fans something to cheer about. Why did we only do the North Texas chant once? And, why did wait until the 3rd quarter to do it?

The one time we did the chant, our fans were so in to it that they kept doing it after the ball was snapped. We should do that chant before the opening kickoff and at every timeout (except injury timeouts). I know people from the athletic department read this board.Someone needs to get with the video board operator and the cheerleaders and fix this before next Saturday. We should video guest alums to lead it, like Mason Fine does. How great would it be to have a video of "Stone Cold" Steve Austin, Zack Orr, or Kathy Ireland pop up and start the chant? Apogee as built to create noise. Athletic Department personnel  and cheerleaders, let's do a better job of getting the North Texas chant going when we have opportunities. Rant over.

Kathy Ireland?  Was she at UNT?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

One thing we could do to help things immediately is replace that wet blanket Tim Couch with the great Rob Coffee, who I got to hear do his usual phenominal job in the volleyball game.

Secondly, the problem with using the video board or the band is..... there is no video board or band at away games, and just like two Saturdays ago in Ruston......there weren't even any cheerleaders either.

It must have a visual signaled beginning and it must have an ending.

Rick

Wait, Rob Coffee still calls games for North Texas?  I remember when he called games at the Super Pit.  He should call all of our games.  Not a better announcer out there.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1

15 hours ago, FirefightnRick said:

I've said it for years....and will say it again.  

It needs an easy prompt with a beginning and an end so that it can be done anywhere, any time.  

Just going on and on and on till it peters out is why it's only done once.  This needs to change.  Look at something similar to what K State or Memphis does if you need examples how a unified chant is done correctly.

Rick

8 hours ago, MeanGreenZen said:

Me and my sons LOVE doing the Another Mean Green First Down thing. 

That’s great. It’s just so blah....and doesn’t involve the crowd like it should. 

• Upvote 2
  • Confused 1

Lets stick to the "NORTH" "TEXAS" chant... Its simple, and easy to keep going. Its also been the tradition.  

I agree though, it would be nice for it to happen organically like it used to back in the Fouts days. But I am ok with the video board leading it until we can figure out how to start it ourselves.  We need that one guy who always starts the wave a baseball game to step up to start the "NORTH" chant on the student side. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

It wouldn't be hard to re-cut the MF video.  I admit it would be an awkward pause on video.  But after he says "North" the video could cut to a graphic of the word "North," then back to MF for "Texas" and so on...

I think our stadium would lose their minds if we had a Stone Cold video for anything.  At least the first time.  I know for sure that I would!  I hope Wren sees this thread and really gets on that.  You know Wren would love to work with Steve anyway.  It'd be a good reason for him to call a childhood idol and establish communication. LOL

10 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

Wait, Rob Coffee still calls games for North Texas?  I remember when he called games at the Super Pit.  He should call all of our games.  Not a better announcer out there.

Yes, he is excellent.  Still has that great, deep voice he had at the Super Pit back in the 80's.  In fact, when  our basketball tournament  was in Hot Springs the conference used Rob to P.A. The other games.  

So even others in the outside world recognize the talent the man has.  I have no idea why he is not our main front man as our P.A.?

Rick

2 hours ago, Moobs said:

It wouldn't be hard to re-cut the MF video.  I admit it would be an awkward pause on video.  But after he says "North" the video could cut to a graphic of the word "North," then back to MF for "Texas" and so on...

I think our stadium would lose their minds if we had a Stone Cold video for anything.  At least the first time.  I know for sure that I would!  I hope Wren sees this thread and really gets on that.  You know Wren would love to work with Steve anyway.  It'd be a good reason for him to call a childhood idol and establish communication. LOL

Once again, screw Stone Cold! Unless I missed something, he has done nothing for this school after he left. I'd rather have someone like Cynthis Izaquirre do it. I find her irritatingly cheerful, but that would make her perfect to lead a NORTH-TEXAS cheer.  Besides she gives North Texas props every chance she gets. 

OR, how about Rob Coffee?

Edited by SilverEagle
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

13 minutes ago, SilverEagle said:

Once again, screw Stone Cold! Unless I missed something, he has done nothing for this school after he left. I'd rather have someone like Cynthis Izaquirre do it. I find her irritatingly cheerful, but that would make her perfect to lead a NORTH-TEXAS cheer.  Besides she gives North Texas props every chance she gets. 

OR, how about Rob Coffee?

We've likely done jack squat to reach out to him.   
So yeah, probably best to just leave a former letterman (let alone a famous one) to kick rocks.

• Upvote 1
  • Confused 1

13 hours ago, UNTLifer said:

I would kill to have Rob doing PA. Really really nice guy too. I enjoyed working with him in the booth.

He also always made a point to say people’s names correctly and rarely ever got screwed up like some people...

Edited by Ryan Munthe
  • Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

So yeah, probably best to just leave a former letterman (let alone a famous one) to kick rocks.

Someone reached out to him around the time of the final planning stages of the Stadium. I think his reponse was something like "maybe some other time". 

Meanwhile, around the same time, someone did some reaching out to this letterman.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-footbl/spec-rel/051811aaa.html

32 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

Steve Williams was a backup LB at best for us, maybe starting a few games.  He became famous through his persona as Steve Austin, and something tells me he's not doing anything if there isn't some benefit back to him.  Just my take.

• Downvote 1

2 hours ago, bleedgreen4ever said:

I always thought that the chant could be repeated about 4-5 times max and end with a loud and unified "GO MEAN GREEN" chant at the end.

When do we start counting?  It normally takes about 4 or 5 rounds to get everyone involved....LOL.  The North Texas chant has been around for a long time.  I always thought it started rather organically and would happen several times a game.  A unified ending, rather than just having it peter out, would be a good thing. 

Edited by keith
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

18 minutes ago, UNTLifer said:

Steve Williams was a backup LB at best for us, maybe starting a few games.  He became famous through his persona as Steve Austin, and something tells me he's not doing anything if there isn't some benefit back to him.  Just my take.

None of that precludes him from being involved with us.

• Lovely Take 1