Georgio bowing up

Harry

4 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I think these are pretty separate issues. I still assert that the alumni side isn’t loud enough (though I do recognize they contribute in other ways). Also, if the older alumni’s response to young alumni/current students is always “well back in my day” or “Well I’ve done this and you’re just a kid” I guarantee you that will hamper the future growth of the UNT brand and MGC. Younger people don’t like being told about how they aren’t as good of fans or how their opinions don’t matter as much simply due to not being on this earth as long.

so you think implying that one of the biggest vocal supporters of Mean Green athletics over the past 25 years doesn't make it up to games is the best way to address this issue?

he basically told you to do some research since you 'haven't been on earth' long enough to know about his history with the university

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

7 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

I think these are pretty separate issues. I still assert that the alumni side isn’t loud enough (though I do recognize they contribute in other ways). Also, if the older alumni’s response to young alumni/current students is always “well back in my day” or “Well I’ve done this and you’re just a kid” I guarantee you that will hamper the future growth of the UNT brand and MGC. Younger people don’t like being told about how they aren’t as good of fans or how their opinions don’t matter as much simply due to not being on this earth as long.

It's just the #OldDenton mentality. He even referenced it in his little twitter tweet. And he was a staple in #OldDenton. Don't worry about a single thing anyone says to you on this board or in person, particularly if they were drug through the downtrodden years of what has become known as #OldDenton. 

Edited by Ben Gooding
  • Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 12

12 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't see the offense in Austin's tweet.  

George can do little wrong in my book, but I do think he overreacted a bit. 

We need a lot more young fans like Austin.   I hope he remains an avid fan long enough, that some college kid will complain about him not showing the enthusiasm of their generation.   

It's condescending and presumptive maybe??? Like f'in George doesn't know this stuff? It's just attention-craving on Austin's behalf and yeah George's response was "Dunhamesque" but I would be pretty pissed some junior leaguer came around to tell me what's what as well.  Just stupid. 

28 minutes ago, AustinFromUNT said:

The only time older alumni say things like that are when younger alumni/students say idiotic things like you did. How can you not expect to get backlash when you try to call out  one of our most recognized supporters? 

It's sad when someone has to result to trolling to feel better about themselves. I guess your mom forgot to tell you how special you are last night. 

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

I suspect this may have been intentional and @AustinFromUNT got exactly the reaction he wanted. Even when I was a student, it was hard to miss seeing George at a game. 

4 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I'm assuming Austin's original tweet was meant as tongue-in-cheek, but of course if you ever listen to his morning show, you'd know Jub has virtually ZERO sarcasm filter.   Hence the defensive reply... and now completely blown out of proportion.

@AustinFromUNT, if I'm right, and you meant that sarcastically, you may want to let him know.

If for some reason you were dead serious about challenging THE George Dunham to attend a UNT Football game, then you deserve all the clapbacks you're getting my man.

I think it was more "doing it for the retweets" than anything. 

• Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, AustinFromUNT said:

Was expecting a response more along the adult lines of “Can’t wait to be there”. But what do I know, I’m just a kid right lol.

If you said "hope to see you at the game" then yeah, that would be a more appropriate response for George. But saying "you should make it out for a game" implies he hasn't been or doesn't normally, when in fact he clearly never misses a game.

• Upvote 6
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 1

40 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't see the offense in Austin's tweet.  

George can do little wrong in my book, but I do think he overreacted a bit. 

We need a lot more young fans like Austin.   I hope he remains an avid fan long enough, that some college kid will complain about him not showing the enthusiasm of their generation.   

This is pretty much my thoughts. 

I only hope in 30 years when a young fan shows passion for the Mean Green, Austin doesn’t take the example set by some here and immediately drag him. 

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 2

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

If you said "hope to see you at the game" then yeah, that would be a more appropriate response for George. But saying "you should make it out for a game" implies he hasn't been or doesn't normally, when in fact he clearly never misses a game.

not only that, but to update him on the current status of the team as if he has no idea what's going on this season is insulting too.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1

27 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The biggest “GET OFF MY LAWN!” move is when older people start quoting all they things they’ve done while you weren’t alive. As if any of that is your fault. 

I'm gonna quote this today, so that twenty years from now, I can point it out to some student that I was quoting people quoting people before they were born before he was born.  

tim-and-eric-mind-blown.gif

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, MeanGreen22 said:

The biggest “GET OFF MY LAWN!” move is when older people start quoting all they things they’ve done while you weren’t alive. As if any of that is your fault. 

Most of the time, however, the reason it's quoted is because someone much younger has come on to question or belittle that support, or brag about all they've done in the short couple of years they HAVE been around.

In my mind, it's not fair to assume that someone's youth is the problem, though, because youth is no excuse for idiocy. 

27 minutes ago, BillySee58 said:

Yep. That's the difference. And regardless of how long someone's been around, I'd expect them to recognize and know the difference. 

• Upvote 1

All George had to say was "It's exciting!  Haven't missed a game yet."  and be done with it.  Trying to crush a guy and spout off about olddenton, like it's something we should all aspire to, is dumb.  We've all dealt with olddenton long enough, that's part of why we're in the situation we're in.  Don't try to big-time another fan, as if he's not fan enough, because he wasn't around as long. 

It's like the band groupies that try to claim you're not as big a fan, because you weren't around when they were making records in their grandmother's garage.  Stupid.

PS - If Austin had said "Hope to see you there", we wouldn't be talking about this either.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1