Watch Ladies Soccer NCAA Tourney game on Longhorn Network tonight

Harry

We look disorganized compared to UT.  I love our women's soccer program and what Coach Hedlund has built, but it is time for our program to take the next step.  I always get my hopes up and then am let down.  UT was ripe for the taking.

• Upvote 1
  • Sad 1

was there tonight. Decent mean green showing. Got to hang with TheWren- just an awesome guy and we are lucky to have him.

First ten minutes we dominated. Our D was the problem- gave them too much space near the 18 yard line- their footwork totally confused us. Wren said they were young so I'm looking forward to something big next year.

• Lovely Take 1

I would say we had no midfield or offense. The D wasn’t good either but Texas just moved it better. And when we got it we just pushed it with the long ball to space hoping for some prayer instead of working the ball up with possession. Texas out possessed us and showed a lot more creativity. We only had one legitimate scoring opportunity the entire time. Which is actually one more than we had during the CUSA championship game too. 

I am not surprised of the outcome because this style of play will never win championships or big tourney games. And once again not only has Hedlund never won an NCAA game, he hasn’t ever scored in one either.

Style and tactics means everything and we simply can’t out athlete teams in games like this as we do during the regular season.

It will always be like this as I mentioned days ago in another thread. 

Edited by Travis
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

56 minutes ago, Travis said:

I would say we had no midfield or offense. The D wasn’t good either but Texas just moved it better. And when we got it we just pushed it with the long ball to space hoping for some prayer instead of working the ball up with possession. Texas our possessed us and showed a lot more creativity. We only had one legitimate scoring opportunity the entire time. Which is actually one more than we had during the CUSA championship game. 

I am not surprised of the outcome because this style of play will never win championships or big tourney games. And once again not only has Hedlund never won an NCAA game, he hasn’t ever scored in one either.

Style and tactics means everything and we simply can’t out athlete teams in games like this as we do during the regular season.

It will always be like this as I mentioned days ago in another thread. 

We should fire Hedlund and drop womens soccer!  Jeez.

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

North Texas is still winless and has still not scored a goal in the NCAA Tournament. This soccer program has never had a losing season (as far as I know) and is consistently talented. At some point my hope is that simply making it to the tournament is not good enough. 

GMG

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Salsa_Verde said:

North Texas is still winless and has still not scored a goal in the NCAA Tournament. This soccer program has never had a losing season (as far as I know) and is consistently talented. At some point my hope is that simply making it to the tournament is not good enough. 

GMG

He will need to change a lot of things... starting with tactics like the 4-3-3. Has any team ever won with that?! Truly asking because I can’t recall.

The midfield is akin to an O line or Dline in football. Games are won or lost with that unit. If you dominate the midfield, chances are you won the game. I’d go with a 3-5-2 or a 3-1-3-1-2 or even a 4-4-1-1 formation. Anything to look to control the midfield. Then I would use primarily possession to tire out the other team and keep them on their toes. Also, I would quit having my forwards simply make North and south runs. They need to draw their defenders with them and create space. So I would want to see them show more of going towards opposite post (zig zag).  And I would of had a dominate midfield by pushing my outside mids wide near the lines, so when i do push a through ball most all of them would be to the flags. My outside mids should be pushing the balls in from the flags to my forwards and centers who are crashing the goal.  Punching it up the middle rarely ever works. Even in the pros or international level. Also, my opposite outside mid should be playing trashman on the other side. You know how many plays we could have reset if we had an opposite mid to pick up the ball that was sent too far or redirected. But no one was ever there... that was because of formation.  Lastly, as a coach I would make sure my players do everything on the ball with purpose. So no more of this just putting the ball up without any real objective. It becomes simply kick ball and it is turn over after turn over. Player ratings would have been really low for this game for UNT because of that alone. Do everything with purpose,  create high percentage chances. 

It is these philosophies/strategies that I would have implemented and I guarantee would have changed the game. But what do I know? I can’t soccer. 

• Upvote 1

I’m not going to act like I know a lot about soccer, or that I’m more talented than the next person... But I watched for a little bit, and we had a number of players crossed over, and the goalie would fall to the one side with the shot going the other way... to me it was a lackluster performance but I haven’t been to a soccer game in years, nor watched one. 

Solid season ladies and hope this becomes the standard for them

• Lovely Take 1