UTEP eyeing Graham Harrell

Harry

TCqgOH-__400x400.jpg

HEAD COACH CANDIDATE?: Though he's only 32, expect the name of Graham Harrell, UNT's offensive coordinator, to come up soon in head-coaching searches, such as the one UTEP will go on soon.

"Graham's an unbelievable coach, there's no doubt in my mind he's going to be an unbelievable head coach," Littrell said. "He was born and bred, his entire family, to be a great head coach."

read more:  http://www.elpasotimes.com/story/sports/college/utep/2017/11/09/north-texas-uteps-shoes-two-years-ago-now-first-place/848399001/

Too green IMO. His playcalling is pretty incosistent still and I don't know if I would hand the reigns to him just yet. If someone is desperate enough I could see it, but I don't think it'd be smart.

I think UTEP should go after a triple option coach. With their talent gap it would be a way to start competing sooner rather than later.

• Upvote 2
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

Just now, GreenTexan13 said:

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaad decision on Harrell, if he were to go to UTEP. Like what MG said above me.. To green at the moment. Harrell needs to wait this one out and increase his potential here at NT. 

Yep, the longer he stays here the more money that guy is gonna make down the road. Also, as depressing at it is, Seth will be pulled away one day and Harrell, if he stays here could step into the HC role with a team that he help build. I think that is the smartest move for him.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I don't blame anyone if Harrell leaves to become a HC, including UTEP who may not have better options and think they need to dare something. I don't think he is quite ready, but he may not see it that way and UTEP may feel like they have to take that risk.

That said, I don't think SL would have trouble finding a similarly capable OC. Since this is currently looks like a job that gets you ready for promotions, I would think he would have many eager candidates.

Edited by outoftown
  • Lovely Take 1

12 minutes ago, Withers940 said:

Yep, the longer he stays here the more money that guy is gonna make down the road. Also, as depressing at it is, Seth will be pulled away one day and Harrell, if he stays here could step into the HC role with a team that he help build. I think that is the smartest move for him.

Yes sir,  I completely agree. SL will be gone on day, and I'd like Harrell to take over that role when this happens. Harrell makes errors because he is still learning the system IMO. But I like that Littrell sends Harrell to the press box and lets him have full control over the offense. That means Graham will know the in' and out's of our system as a HC if Littrell were to get plucked. 

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

3 minutes ago, southsideguy said:

This is the bad part of being a step in the middle of the ladder.

But why for once can't we be proactive and do whatever we can to try and keep as many of these guys around for at least another year.  I want to see us get out of the "oh well it was meant to be and there is nothing we can do about it" mindset.  Let's PROACTIVELY come up with a proposal to keep the key members of this staff in place.   Let's not get caught with our pants down like after year 1 when half of our staff was poached... 

If you need inspiration, look at what Houston did with Tom Herman.  They stepped up their commitment significantly and it bought them another year and their program was able to step up to another level.  We have alums with ample cash who could at least make Littrell have to think long and hard about leaving.  The administration has to look at it like an investment in the university itself, not just the football program.  I know that some will say the job becomes more attractive yada yada...however, when I think of our track record of hiring replacements over the years it makes me shudder.  Let's try to think outside of the box on this. GMG

58 minutes ago, MGNation92 said:

Too green IMO. His playcalling is pretty incosistent still and I don't know if I would hand the reigns to him just yet. If someone is desperate enough I could see it, but I don't think it'd be smart.

I think UTEP should go after a triple option coach. With their talent gap it would be a way to start competing sooner rather than later.

Match made if there ever was. This would be extremely smart for UTEP and for the conference. It would provide stability to that program for obvious reasons, and more stability to CUSA-West. When a program goes this route it's kind of indirectly conceding to mediocrity in the W/L column, but opening up for competitiveness and consistency.  And I think UTEP would trade in 2 for the 1 in heartbeat, or at least they should. 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

I agree with what you are saying.  I would love to be able to keep them all here.  I think SL is building a foundation with his system.  It would really help if could get bigger crowds to the games (more money).  I talk to everyone I know and tell how the "cardiac kids" are doing this year.  I just don't understand why more people don't come.  I think it is more than winning.  It is a great time at the games and UNT has really step up.  I remember returning to Denton from albuquerque to retire.  The first game I went to I was so impressed with the hill and the band marching through the hill.  It felt like big time football.  I have met a lot of nice people sitting around me.  We need to get the locals to come to the games.  It does not cost that much to see a UNT game. Sorry off topic.

• Lovely Take 2

I hope GH does not make this move. By all indications, he is a future HC in the making, but if he makes this move it could be an incredible win for him or a show stopper. If he takes it and they win he can write his own ticket. If he goes in and flops it will set him back or keep him as a coordinator. I think he would be better off to wait a year or two and take over here when Seth moves on.

• Lovely Take 1

i don't have too much of a problem with his play calling, i just think he doesn't have the command that a head coach does. listening to him on beyond the green, he just isn't there with being able to speak in front of a team/command respect. These are not easy skills and could take him another 3-4 years to get comfortable with.

• Upvote 3

14 minutes ago, golfingomez said:

i don't have too much of a problem with his play calling, i just think he doesn't have the command that a head coach does. listening to him on beyond the green, he just isn't there with being able to speak in front of a team/command respect. These are not easy skills and could take him another 3-4 years to get comfortable with.

This is exactly how I feel.   He's not "too young" since Lincoln Riley just took over at OU & is roughly the same age.  Heck, Seth is not much older either.
But when I see him addressing the offense in the locker room at halftime of a football game, he seems jittery & scatterbrained.  <nervous yelling> "We gotta keep the pressure on 'em, alright?  ... OK, do your job, alright? ... alright?" 
You'd better believe if he were a head coach, that kind of mindset would also trickle down to his players.

Thankfully, SL is the last one to address the guys before they come back out because he's so... chill.  <calm voice> "Listen men, ...get after their ass... chance to win in the 4th quarter... get after their ass... let's go!"

The sooner Harrell can emulate Littrell's even-keel attitude, the quicker he'll be ready to be a HC.   The X&O knowledge is there, no doubt.  He just has to be a leader that 18 - 23-yr-old men can respect/follow.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

This is exactly how I feel.   He's not "too young" since Lincoln Riley just took over at OU & is roughly the same age.  Heck, Seth is not much older either.
But when I see him addressing the offense in the locker room at halftime of a football game, he seems jittery & scatterbrained.  <nervous yelling> "We gotta keep the pressure on 'em, alright?  ... OK, do your job, alright? ... alright?" 
You'd better believe if he were a head coach, that kind of mindset would also trickle down to his players.

Thankfully, SL is the last one to address the guys before they come back out because he's so... chill.  <calm voice> "Listen men, ...get after their ass... chance to win in the 4th quarter... get after their ass... let's go!"

The sooner Harrell can emulate Littrell's even-keel attitude, the quicker he'll be ready to be a HC.   The X&O knowledge is there, no doubt.  He just has to be a leader that 18 - 23-yr-old men can respect/follow.

yup.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Andrew said:

I had this a couple weeks ago and people scoffed... I guess since the news has now broken I can say they have been in communication with Graham and there is a decent chance he leaves, although anything can happen. 

I would assume Mainord would take over playcalling but who knows. 

• Lovely Take 1

4 hours ago, Ben Gooding said:

Match made if there ever was. This would be extremely smart for UTEP and for the conference. It would provide stability to that program for obvious reasons, and more stability to CUSA-West. When a program goes this route it's kind of indirectly conceding to mediocrity in the W/L column, but opening up for competitiveness and consistency.  And I think UTEP would trade in 2 for the 1 in heartbeat, or at least they should. 

Weren’t you calling for this offensive system before Littrell was hired? 

• Lovely Take 1
  • Haha 1