CUSA Bowl Projections

greeneagle1

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/11/5/16605586/2017-conference-usa-bowl-projections-roundup-so-many-teams-are-going-bowling-this-year-cusa

Pretty good article from Underdog Dynasty with some analysis of why the projections are the way they are. Kind of points more to a New Mexico bowl for us if we can play SDSU. However, the guy who wrote this seems to have affiliation to FAU and lives in Boca. Take with a grain of salt.

• Upvote 1

12 hours ago, greeneagle1 said:

https://www.underdogdynasty.com/2017/11/5/16605586/2017-conference-usa-bowl-projections-roundup-so-many-teams-are-going-bowling-this-year-cusa

Pretty good article from Underdog Dynasty with some analysis of why the projections are the way they are. Kind of points more to a New Mexico bowl for us if we can play SDSU. However, the guy who wrote this seems to have affiliation to FAU and lives in Boca. Take with a grain of salt.

Cyrus is an FAU alum but he's the managing editor for UDD. His articles are typically fair and well written.

• Lovely Take 1

From a notoriety standpoint.....I think I would prefer playing a middle of the pack P5 vs a really good G5 (which SDSU is)

If we beat someone with a name that people know....it means more. Even if they're not as good on the field as a SDSU. 

Beating a 6-6 ACC or Big 10 team will get more attention than beating a 9-3 MWC team. (Assuming we could) Even though the MWC team is better. Only those that follow college football know that. 

Yes this is a little picky but I would like to see us start getting some national attention. Just thinking us beating a down Nebraska or 6-6 Cal or 6-6 rebuilding Minnesota, etc. would "look" better. 

If we want to stop being plugged in at #85  on these national rankings even though we're leading our conference, we're gonna have to start beating P5s. 

• Upvote 4
  • Lovely Take 1

2 hours ago, TheColonyEagle said:

From a notoriety standpoint.....I think I would prefer playing a middle of the pack P5 vs a really good G5 (which SDSU is)

If we beat someone with a name that people know....it means more. Even if they're not as good on the field as a SDSU. 

Beating a 6-6 ACC or Big 10 team will get more attention than beating a 9-3 MWC team. (Assuming we could) Even though the MWC team is better. Only those that follow college football know that. 

Yes this is a little picky but I would like to see us start getting some national attention. Just thinking us beating a down Nebraska or 6-6 Cal or 6-6 rebuilding Minnesota, etc. would "look" better. 

If we want to stop being plugged in at #85  on these national rankings even though we're leading our conference, we're gonna have to start beating P5s. 

More important to win right now than who we play.  Lets win more regularly at our level (more than 1 winning season in a row) and win in our conference more convincingly.  Lets leverage that to begin to improve recruiting and support, then go compete with more recognized programs.  

Against our level of program, we have had 1 winning season in the last 10 years.  This is number 2.

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

17 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

SEC & ACC both struggling to get their bowls filled, so this could possibly happen since the Independence is pretty far down on both conference's pecking order.

I would think we would get waxed in this game though, unless Houston comes out flat like they did against Tulsa.

• Lovely Take 1

1 minute ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

SEC & ACC both struggling to get their bowls filled, so this could possibly happen since the Independence is pretty far down on both conference's pecking order.

I would think we would get waxed in this game though, unless Houston comes out flat like they did against Tulsa.

Ed Oliver against our O-line is a terrifying thought

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, unt_rocket09 said:

Or we could go play Army again for 4th time....rather play UH all day

I suppose.
Or, there are a myriad of other bowls out there.  I assume a C-USA champion would look good to many of them if they can't get their contracted P5 (like this Indy Bowl prediction, which is the exact bowl I'd like to play... just not against Houston).

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, MeanGreenTexan said:

I suppose.
Or, there are a myriad of other bowls out there.  I assume a C-USA champion would look good to many of them if they can't get their contracted P5 (like this Indy Bowl prediction, which is the exact bowl I'd like to play... just not against Houston).

Give SL 2 more recruiting years & we'll be ready for Houston.  

We beat the Coogs  28-0 my Junior year at UNT.  History does tend to repeat.

GMG!

• Upvote 1

All of the mid-majors projections are horrible.  Journalist barely, put in the time to know the teams or conferences. And a lot of this is just done by made computer formulas.

Where the CUSA teams play is more a question of philosophy, than record.

The CUSA champ is probably going to be from the East and get the first pick of bowls.  The question is will the conference (and that team) want to play in one of the CUSA bowls or a slot from another conference that is likely to open up.  

So UNT will likely have the 2nd pick and what's our philosophy?  Biggest turn out vs. biggest name vs. best opportunity to win vs. coach's travel preference?

We all know the bowl options;  New Mexico, New Orleans, Armed Forces, Independence, Heart of Dallas, and Frisco.  The question is which philosophy fits us?

• Upvote 3

4 minutes ago, shaft said:

So UNT will likely have the 2nd pick and what's our philosophy?  Biggest turn out vs. biggest name vs. best opportunity to win vs. coach's travel preference?

We all know the bowl options;  New Mexico, New Orleans, Armed Forces, Independence, Heart of Dallas, and Frisco.  The question is which philosophy fits us?

To me its  down to Fan turn out because of the $ that the school would make from the ticket sales (hopefully) or Best chance to win.. I would love to play a P5 that is having a down year and just limped into a bowl game or a team thats coach could be on the way out the door, but whatever gets this team a W

4 minutes ago, BTG_Fan1 said:

To me its  down to Fan turn out because of the $ that the school would make from the ticket sales (hopefully) or Best chance to win.. I would love to play a P5 that is having a down year and just limped into a bowl game or a team thats coach could be on the way out the door, but whatever gets this team a W

Those are three different philosophies.  Attendance/$ = one of the 3 DFW bowls.  P5 Team = Independence bowl.  Easiest win = New Orleans or New Mexico Bowl.

1 hour ago, shaft said:

Those are three different philosophies.  Attendance/$ = one of the 3 DFW bowls.  P5 Team = Independence bowl.  Easiest win = New Orleans or New Mexico Bowl.

I would actually think the easier win would be the Boca Raton/Bahamas/Frisco bowls.

NO Nowl is matched against the SBC champs, so you know that’s gonna be a tough game.

And the NM Bowl is pretty high on the chain for both C-USA & MWC... hence a lot of projections of us VS SDSU in that one.