conference championship game

wardly

I am assuming we beat BOTH UTEP and Rice. FAU can lose one of their last 3 games, but must beat FIU. Since we lost the tie breaker with FAU, we need them to beat FAU and lose to W.K. If that happens, and both UNT and FIU win divisions with one loss, who hosts?[I have way too much time on my hands]

10 minutes ago, Mean Green Matt said:

Which computer ratings? I've never seen that specified. 

From what I saw, it just said an average of computer ratings. Most of which, we are down below FAU and FIU. I'll see if I can find it again. 

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/c-usa/sports/m-footbl/auto_pdf/2015-16/misc_non_event/tie-breakers-15.pdf

11 minutes ago, diehardUNTfan said:

Damn,  a conference championship at Apogee would be so cool.

Not just cool, but possibly cold...In 2013, if we had won that fateful game, we could have hosted that game...in the ice! Wonder how days of ice and poor chance of transportation would be handled? Just always wondered about that.

4 minutes ago, drex said:

Temps below 65, a clap of thunder and some light rain and we'd have 45 people show up for the game...gotta love the North Texas 'fans.'

The weather looks good for next Saturday. Highs in the upper 60's with light winds.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, wardly said:

I am assuming we beat BOTH UTEP and Rice. FAU can lose one of their last 3 games, but must beat FIU. Since we lost the tie breaker with FAU, we need them to beat FAU and lose to W.K. If that happens, and both UNT and FIU win divisions with one loss, who hosts?[I have way too much time on my hands]

actually, this is incorrect. FIU already has a conference loss, to MTSU (don't know how), so if they beat FAU, they HAVE to win out to stay East champs.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The conference needs to take attendance into consideration. If it's hosted by either Florida school there will be 5K in the stands

Having a team host a conference championship game is about as bush league as it gets in the first place. Put this game in Shreveport, Birmingham, Hattiesburg, Memphis, Nashville, etc. 

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

17 minutes ago, Ben Gooding said:

Having a team host a conference championship game is about as bush league as it gets in the first place. Put this game in Shreveport, Birmingham, Hattiesburg, Memphis, Nashville, etc. 

For the P5 schools, cities bid for the game with the understanding that those conferences have teams that will travel. If the game was in Nashville and North Texas was playing, how many fans make the trip on short notice? 5,000 maybe? Better to reward a team who took care of business and let them host the game in a (presumably) almost full stadium.

Other conferences that have the team with the best record host the conference championship:

• "P6" The American Conference
  • Mountain West Conference

The MAC currently has the games hosted at Ford Field in Detroit Michigan however the MAC has a much smaller geographical footprint than the other G5 conferences. The Sun Belt currently does not have a conference championship game.

Edited by UNTFan23
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, UNTFan23 said:

For the P5 schools, cities bid for the game with the understanding that those conferences have teams that will travel. If the game was in Nashville and North Texas was playing, how many fans make the short notice trip? 5,000 maybe? Better to reward a team who took care of business and let them host the game in a (presumably) almost full stadium.

Other conferences that have the team with the best record host the conference championship:

• "P6" The American Conference
  • Mountain West Conference

The MAC currently has the games hosted at Ford Field in Detroit Michigan however the MAC has a much smaller geographical footprint than the other G5 conferences. The Sun Belt currently does not have a conference championship game.

So the same amount of UNT fans would travel to a game to Nashville as will be in Boca when FAU hosts. 

Just now, FAU Connoisseur said:

You are just asking for more attendance inflation.

5K in Boca is probably a bit of an exaggeration. 

34 minutes ago, El Paso Eagle said:

The conference needs to take attendance into consideration. If it's hosted by either Florida school there will be 5K in the stands

Makes you wonder why either school got an invite up from the SBC. Major misjudgment about TV markets mattering more than support.

We aren’t much better than the F_Us, but we are at least averaging decent ticket buyers to carry our weight. I heard Dave Barnett say that La Tech announced 18k for our game on Saturday and it was their Homecoming.

• Downvote 1