• Boca Raton Bowl Dec. 19 at 7 p.m. ET
    • St. Petersburg Bowl Dec. 21 8 p.m.
    • Bahamas Bowl Dec. 22 at 12:30 p.m. ET
    • Zaxby's Heart of Dallas Bowl Dec. 26
    • Armed Forces Bowl Dec. 23
    • Frisco Bowl Dec. 20
    • Other

46 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

If you didn't vote for the N.O. Bowl........then you've never been to the N.O. Bowl.

Rick

Last time I was in NO some piece of sh$t started shooting up the street we were walking on. Screw that city it's a dump. I can party in nice cities just as well as trashy towns.

• Upvote 5
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 4

2 hours ago, bstnsportsfan3 said:

I voted armed forces bowl, I just don’t want to play army 4 times in 2 years

I think everyone who voted for the Armed Forces Bowl views it the same way.  

55 minutes ago, FirefightnRick said:

If you didn't vote for the N.O. Bowl........then you've never been to the N.O. Bowl.

Rick

No, we are thinking about what would be best for the program and not our "party" situations.   The closer the date is to New Years Day the better.  Also playing a Sun Belt team that fans are used to seeing us matched against does nothing for the program.  Looking at the Sun Belt standings are you really want to play Arkansas State or Troy (1 & 2 respectively in Sun Belt)?  If we liked playing them so much we could have stayed in the Sun Belt.

• Upvote 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, FirefightnRick said:

Rick

I've been to all our N.O. Bowls.  I loved it.  BUT we didn't have to play against a Sun Belt team then, we would now.

• Upvote 3
  • Lovely Take 1
  • Downvote 1

2 minutes ago, GTWT said:

I've been to all our N.O. Bowls.  I loved it.  BUT we didn't have to play against a Sun Belt team then, we would now.

Yes back then we could have played TCU, Memphis, Cincinnati, Louisville and other more attractive programs to be matched up against than Troy and Arkansas State.   I would like us to play a team we haven't be matched up against since 2008 if possible.  And if you were a FCS program or nonexistent before 2005, I am not interested.

• Lovely Take 1

47 minutes ago, UNTexas said:

Last time I was in NO some piece of sh$t started shooting up the street we were walking on. Screw that city it's a dump. I can party in nice cities just as well as trashy towns.

Real world view there.

Have lived in New Orleans and visited countless times, just like almost every city have to watch were you venture into.   

As far as a dump, to each his own.  One of less than a handful of cities in the US, that are significantly different than the rest.   An unique city and one that you can definitely have a good time without spending a ton and definitely don't need a car.  

• Upvote 2

Anywhere other than the Bahamas. Great vacation spot, but playing American football in a place that has soccer and track & field as the dominant sports is a waste to me. Bahamians most likely care very little about American Football. They just want American tourists to spend money.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, GrandGreen said:

One of less than a handful of cities in the US, that are significantly different than the rest.   A unique city and one that you can definitely have a good time without spending a ton and definitely don't need a car.  

It's called a "mystique" city.  Once lived in one of those myself near Waikiki Beach.  San Francisco is another such city.

I really think CUSA can possibly bowl swap for us if Amry is still hot at the end of the year. Another team from a difference conference that they haven’t played would make a lot of sense for said conference and Army, especially if CUSA likes where they could swap for us. If not, FAU needs a shot at Army if they are the best/2nd best team in the conference. No matter what happens, I believe FAU will match another quality G5 school just because of their coach. 

They won’t get a sorry MAC team to come to boca and play them. 

2 hours ago, UNTexas said:

How you feel about N.O. is how I've always felt about Houston. N.O is closest to me so I'm biased.

1 hour ago, PlummMeanGreen said:

Armed Forces Bowl.   A 25 minute drive for me. 

I want us to show the Metroplex we can fill a stadium albeit wouldn't be ours.😳

GMG!

I think a bowl that close to our fan base would also help close a few deals on some Texas HS recruits & (hopefully) 2 or 3 more JUCOS who could start for us next year. 

This is the exact same reason I voted for the Frisco Bowl. I drive past it every day on my way home from work, may as well stop and watch a football game. (I know that's selfish, but I voted my conscience.)

Great area, easy access from the Tollway, lots of tailgate space.

Inaugural Frisco Bowl, we could forever be the first team that won it.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

2 hours ago, Mike Jackson said:

I think everyone who voted for the Armed Forces Bowl views it the same way.  

No, we are thinking about what would be best for the program and not our "party" situations.   The closer the date is to New Years Day the better.  Also playing a Sun Belt team that fans are used to seeing us matched against does nothing for the program.  Looking at the Sun Belt standings are you really want to play Arkansas State or Troy (1 & 2 respectively in Sun Belt)?  If we liked playing them so much we could have stayed in the Sun Belt.

I don't guess you noticed that NT is a g5.  Do you think playing Army twice in a year or probably the worst bowl team to play that year in UNLV is better than playing a conference champ?  The likelihood of NT getting a better match than available in the NO Bowl is not high.  

Local bowls are great because a lot more fans can attend.  This has no more to do with the opponent or moving up the prestige of the program, than going to the best travel destination. 

The facts are that the HOD bowl is no longer designated a CUSA bowl.   Yes, NT could still end up there as well as a lot of other non-CUSA bowls.  The team also played there last year, so not only do they not get to travel; but they would repeat last year's experience.  Army is the opponent in the Armed service bowl, I certainly don't want to play the same team twice two years in a row.  

Choosing a bowl knowing the opponent is completely different than a preference without that knowledge.   

Gotta lean towards the NO Bowl for several reasons.  

1) Destination games can build fanbases.  A game sandwiched within 2-3 days of vacation with family/friends makes for memories and connection.  Playing in the Cotton Bowl doesn't even require pre-game festivities.  If you doubt this one, ask how many people were made die hards during the Dickey bowl run in NO...and how many were tethered to the program by a DART train ride to Fair Park

2) Opponent isn't the point when building interest, winning is.  This team isn't at the point where a P5 is a likely win...but a Belt team is.  Boise built their brand early on by WINNING, and nobody cared who it was against.  And, to be honest, I find it funny that the same people who look at the Georgia game of 2013 or this year's Iowa game and say "moral victories are irrelevant" are now pining for a bowl game against a P5 that we will likely lose because it will give us "exposure."

3) Competitive bowl games keep people's interest, regardless of matchup.  Folks that want to watch football will watch any football so long as the game is good.  And, no, we are not going to see a significant bump in viewership because we are playing a Nebraska.  Why?  Because Nebraska is playing North Texas.  

4) When the hell did we become too good to play a Belt team?  We may win 9 games this season and play for a conference title.  Commendable, no doubt, but it's a blip on our historical radar.  How do you make it more than a blip?  See #2...WINNING

• Upvote 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Downvote 1

35 minutes ago, unt37 said:

How you feel about N.O. is how I've always felt about Houston. N.O is closest to me so I'm biased.

Visited New Orleans about 18 months ago.  It is different since Katrina.  Bourbon Street is full of scam artists and the local police don't care because they've got bigger fish to fry.  It is still fun, but you really have to be careful.  I would prefer another destination.

• Thanks 1

I think losing to a Sun Belt program would be disastrous. Our conference is perceived as better and we shouldn't give them the opportunity to change that perception. For this reason I would not want the NO bowl. I'd rather play the AAC or MWC. P5 would be better but the bowls haven't seemed interested in pitting us against those.

• Upvote 1
  • Lovely Take 2

1 hour ago, GrandGreen said:

I don't guess you noticed that NT is a g5.  Do you think playing Army twice in a year or probably the worst bowl team to play that year in UNLV is better than playing a conference champ?  The likelihood of NT getting a better match than available in the NO Bowl is not high.  

Local bowls are great because a lot more fans can attend.  This has no more to do with the opponent or moving up the prestige of the program, than going to the best travel destination. 

The facts are that the HOD bowl is no longer designated a CUSA bowl.   Yes, NT could still end up there as well as a lot of other non-CUSA bowls.  The team also played there last year, so not only do they not get to travel; but they would repeat last year's experience.  Army is the opponent in the Armed service bowl, I certainly don't want to play the same team twice two years in a row.  

Choosing a bowl knowing the opponent is completely different than a preference without that knowledge.   

CUSA swapped with the Armed Services bowl for this year only. HOD will be a CUSA bowl again next year.